Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times

Advertisements

I have lived in various cities throughout the country including other Florida cities and never have I seen as bad of a road network as South Florida, to be frank, the road infrastructure is HORRENDOUS down here, most roads are severely undersized for the volume of traffic that they handle, major intersections with no turn lanes, no traffic signals are synchronized causing unnecessary stop and go traffic, drawbridge signals are not synchronized with surrounding traffic signals resulting in more traffic, etc... Why is this? Why is something as simple as synchronizing traffic lights not happening anywhere? What is the local government doing about it? Looking forward to some insight from more tenured South Floridians..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 20,939 times
In my opinion, south florida should've never been populated as it is now. It became over-industrialized.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:30 PM

196 posts, read 159,030 times
The government already stated outright they have no interest in fixing the traffic issue and it will continue to worsen. A study said that a car trip that in any of the other states would average 30 minutes takes about an hour and a half in south Florida

Old 12-01-2016, 03:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Snow birds!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:46 PM

196 posts, read 159,030 times
Yup. I see way to many "jet le me soviens" plates which I always get stuck behind.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I have lived in various cities throughout the country including other Florida cities and never have I seen as bad of a road network as South Florida, to be frank, the road infrastructure is HORRENDOUS down here, most roads are severely undersized for the volume of traffic that they handle, major intersections with no turn lanes, no traffic signals are synchronized causing unnecessary stop and go traffic, drawbridge signals are not synchronized with surrounding traffic signals resulting in more traffic, etc... Why is this? Why is something as simple as synchronizing traffic lights not happening anywhere? What is the local government doing about it? Looking forward to some insight from more tenured South Floridians..
I've been here 21 years and it's complete insanity.
But that's what government corruptions gets you.. complete insanity.

Pay attention to all the politicians that get busted getting their palms greased by developers or stealing/spending money that's supposed to fund their communities. It's constant.. so where's the money going to come from to improve the infrastructure when the money's getting stolen by the local politicians?

Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
If the government corruption is true then this is so wrong in so many ways, how is it that every other major Florida city I have traveled to or lived in (outside of South Florida) does not have these issues? For example, Orlando while it suffers from its fair share of traffic congestion at least has very visible MAJOR upgrades being made to virtually the city's entire road network including interstate highway expansions, interchange projects, adding lanes to all major roads, new public transit options, not to mention, most of the existing roadways are spacious, synchronized, and even visually appealing with painted bridges and landscaping at interchanges. What is South Florida's excuse?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
I don't think the problem is that it's "poorly designed," as it simply wasn't "designed". Growth occurred around whatever roads and access points were available at the time people started showing up. New roads and bridges were put up only in reaction to growth, not in anticipation of it, so the size of the project was geared to the size of the problem at that time. Once an area is "bought up" (developed), your options for road-building are limited by what land is still available.

It's too late (not to mention cost-prohibitive) to tear it all out and draw up a better grid system, or to uproot large groups of people from their homes and businesses in order to organize and expand the roads. It's too over-developed to do large, pro-active road projects. All that can be done is putting lots of metaphorical Band-Aids on what's already there.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
If the government corruption is true then this is so wrong in so many ways, how is it that every other major Florida city I have traveled to or lived in (outside of South Florida) does not have these issues?
Miami-Dade and Broward remain bastions of machine-style politics, with the patronage system firmly entrenched.

A friend of mine who was a longtime political reporter always says that Miami-Dade is run like a banana republic and Broward is run like a condo board. Both atmospheres are fertile territory for ethically challenged politicians and corruption.

Last edited by Papillons2; 12-07-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 PM

328 posts, read 473,507 times
Politicians being cheap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area