Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have seen several responses to similar question however my situation is a little different. We (me and my wife) will be moving to south Fl over this summer. She will be working in Davie and I will be working in Doral just west of the airport. Where would you all recommend looking for housing. We plan to rent for the first year. We are a mid 40s couple who like to have fun however moving from GA with almost an acre lot. I know this is not the norm in this area however would like to live in a safe environment for my wife as I travel often for work and would like a yard big enough to possibly park a boat or just enjoy without stepping on the neighbors. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
What sort of budget?

Acre lots will run you, minimum $500k. Minimum. Rent, figure at least $3k/mo on the low end for a house on an acre lot.

There is plenty in the Davie area, but who knows what your budget is! You can definitely commute to Doral from Davie - my wife did that for years, it's not a short drive but it's doable if you find a house that's worth it.

Look around Griffin/I-75.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp1969 View Post
Hello All,

I have seen several responses to similar question however my situation is a little different. We (me and my wife) will be moving to south Fl over this summer. She will be working in Davie and I will be working in Doral just west of the airport. Where would you all recommend looking for housing. We plan to rent for the first year. We are a mid 40s couple who like to have fun however moving from GA with almost an acre lot. I know this is not the norm in this area however would like to live in a safe environment for my wife as I travel often for work and would like a yard big enough to possibly park a boat or just enjoy without stepping on the neighbors. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
If you want to straddle the Davie - Doral commute comfortably, and live in a safe, clean city - WESTON. You can also look at Pembroke Pines. Or if you want more land - Southwest Ranches, but it tends to be pricey. But if you want to park a boat in your yard, Southwest Ranches it is. Or Western parts of Davie.

Maybe also Cooper City.

And maybe also Miramar.

Last edited by ruski; 01-18-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 AM

351 posts, read 460,937 times
As mentioned above, the safest cities that make more sense for your commute are Weston, West Davie, SW Ranches and West Pembroke Pines. But I disagree a little bit with BNBR on the MIN budget to get an acre lot in this area of Broward county.

According to the MLS (based on previous sales and available properties) this is what an acre lot will most likely cost you:

Weston - Minimum $1,000,000
The rest of the other cities - Minimum $600 <-- That's a 3/2 old house if you're lucky.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM

306 posts, read 328,168 times
Not on the house rent topic, but what would a 1 bedroom condo go for rent in the Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood Beach area?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 PM

351 posts, read 460,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
Not on the house rent topic, but what would a 1 bedroom condo go for rent in the Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood Beach area?
Around $1300 minimum and you may not like what you'll get for the price.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
As mentioned above, the safest cities that make more sense for your commute are Weston, West Davie, SW Ranches and West Pembroke Pines. But I disagree a little bit with BNBR on the MIN budget to get an acre lot in this area of Broward county.

According to the MLS (based on previous sales and available properties) this is what an acre lot will most likely cost you:

Weston - Minimum $1,000,000
The rest of the other cities - Minimum $600 <-- That's a 3/2 old house if you're lucky.
Nothing to disagree with here. Weston is OBVIOUSLY not for this person. There is a few units starting in the $500k range in Davie/Southwest Ranches. My numbers were spot on.

14180 SW 20th St, Davie, FL 33325 | MLS #F10045070 | Zillow

Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 AM

306 posts, read 328,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
Around $1300 minimum and you may not like what you'll get for the price.
I heard it's pretty pricey. So even for a single male, one bedroom condo close to beach?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM

You can definitely get a 1 bedroom condo near the beach for under $1300 that is totally decent. Try hard enough, and you can get an ocean view.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
I heard it's pretty pricey. So even for a single male, one bedroom condo close to beach?
$1300 sounds on the low side. That's what condos were going for back in 2013-14. Prices have risen since then. I would recommend finding a good realtor and having them help you out. There are literally thousands of apartments and condos for rent in the area, and the craigslist stuff is mostly a scam. Realtors are free in South FL. They work off of commissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area