Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oradellian View Post
Before relocating to Florida, I was told that everything is cheaper in Florida; Life would be more affordable. I lived in the northeast corner of New Jersey in one of the most expensive middle class suburbs surrounding New York City. Around there, we shopped for groceries in Shoprite. After more than twenty years of shopping in Shoprite in the Paramus NJ store, I know when I'm being ripped off; and I get that feeling every time I walk into a Publix supermarket. The prices in any supermarket in Southern Florida for that matter; whether it is Publix or Winn-Dixie, are 50% higher than they were in the New York City suburbs. Why is that?

I have questions about homes in Southern Florida. Why is it that no matter the home, the town, or the price, the homes are packed in like sardines, they all have the same basic layout and features and when you've seen one, you've seen them all? I'm not talking about million dollar mansions, I've been searching for a home in the $250,000-$350,000 range. Even at prices as much as $400,000; Florida, it seems, had only one architect who designed one home and then died. How many times have I been to see a three bedroom home with only one bedroom? Why do I say that? One bedroom in the home is the "master" bedroom, while the second bedroom can barely be considered much more than a walk in closet; and the third bedroom isn't a bedroom at all, it has no closet, in most cases it contains a desk and some book cases and who ever sleeps in that room better fit on a love seat.

As I take to the roads of Southern Florida, I come to grips with the insanity that people live with in this area. When traveling North or South, I95 or the Florida Turnpike are your choices. The speed limit is nothing but a mere suggestion, and if I should choose to travel at or below the limit, I take my life into my hands as I risk being hit from behind. Out on the streets there is a race, at every traffic light, to be the first one to the red light. I can't tell you how many times drivers pick an inopportune time to make a U-turn in front of me, or fail to keep their distance at any speed. I'm completely wondrous at how few accidents there are. Amazed, I am at the lack of options there are to getting from east to west. If I need to be in Coral Springs in ten minutes, I had better leave a half hour ago. There are times when I would rather drive ten miles up the Florida turnpike and take the Sawgrass to Coral Spring from Pompano Beach;
You should definitely move back to New Jersey. You obviously don't fit in well in South Florida and it's stressing you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 AM

196 posts, read 159,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
why is that? Is it not the very reason most people re locate to florida ?
Read the complaints of people moving here, expecting a tropical paradise, than running back wherever they came from. This is not unique to this region of the state.

There are pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, of complaints on this forum alone, for your reading pleasure.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Do not move without a job. Most likely you won't find a rental anyway, unless you can pay 8 months in advance.

The days of SoFla being cheap are long gone. Take a look at rental sites to get a feel for rents ... in Boca Raton, a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt/townhouse will be at minimum $1400. Minimum. And wages are about 20% less than up north.

Do REAL research on your own and then take a trip down.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 PM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You should definitely move back to New Jersey. You obviously don't fit in well in South Florida and it's stressing you out.
Ah, yes, the classic: "Don't like everything here? Move back where you came from!!" Pretty much shuts down any sensible discussion.

And I notice you didn't address any of Oradellian's complaints, which all seem fairly accurate to me. But he or she left out: the huge amount of weirdos & phonies down there. In FL generally, but I think maybe Ft. Lauderdale got an extra dose. And just a creepy "weirdness" about the whole place. Not all the time, buts it's there......

Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Ah, yes, the classic: "Don't like everything here? Move back where you came from!!" Pretty much shuts down any sensible discussion.

And I notice you didn't address any of Oradellian's complaints, which all seem fairly accurate to me. But he or she left out: the huge amount of weirdos & phonies down there. In FL generally, but I think maybe Ft. Lauderdale got an extra dose. And just a creepy "weirdness" about the whole place. Not all the time, buts it's there......
The complaints were not accurate. Which shuts down a sensible discussion. They were emotional and ridiculous. And since they were just emotional, a simple "hey, this place isn't for you" seems like the most appropriate response and path forward.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:23 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post

I never detected any a creepy "weirdness" ... Got any examples? The Willets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area