Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
No I'm from Miami Lakes and live in AZ now. I think it's in your head about West Miramar. I never heard anybody spit that nonsense before.
Really? We heard it in 2002 after seeing a house we really liked there. Our realtor advised against it, and we listened to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Soon after I first moved to Florida in 2000, I remember reading negative reviews about Miramar in local print and/or hearing such on the radio, how the BSO or local PD had its hands full over there.

Granted, back then I didn't know the local geography as well, so not sure whether they were talking East or West Miramar, and they weren't specific in their articles either.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,355,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Were those houses bought in cash only, or bank loans? I mean, are the banks still doing loans or is completely zero.
Of course the banks are lending money, why wouldn't they be?

There's more loans now being issued than the previous year and year before that, etc.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:10 PM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
It's basically just the South Florida market. Lots of condos, lots of single-family houses, lots of transplants and foreigners coming in and out. If you go on Trulia, there are more places available in a South Florida city than there would be in a city of comparable size somewhere else in the country in most cases. Miramar, with a population around 122,000, has 1141 homes available on Trulia at the moment. Cambridge, MA, with a population around 110,000, has 86 homes on Trulia right now.

It's not just unique to Miramar, although Miramar might be somewhat of an extreme case even by local standards. Davie, with a population around 92,000, has 748 homes available. Coral Springs, which is closer to Miramar with a population around 129,000, has 908 homes on the market. And if you want an example from the other end of the country, Santa Monica, CA, with a population around 92,000, has 251 homes on the market. One good thing I guess is that it helps keep the market fairly affordable, especially compared to Boston or Los Angeles.

https://www.trulia.com/CA/Santa_Monica/
https://www.trulia.com/FL/Coral_Springs/
https://www.trulia.com/FL/Davie/
https://www.trulia.com/MA/Cambridge/
https://www.trulia.com/FL/Miramar/

Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Soon after I first moved to Florida in 2000, I remember reading negative reviews about Miramar in local print and/or hearing such on the radio, how the BSO or local PD had its hands full over there.

Granted, back then I didn't know the local geography as well, so not sure whether they were talking East or West Miramar, and they weren't specific in their articles either.
Correct. Anyone who has been here for some time knows that Miramar is not a desirable city. Having a certain city or zip code in your address has value to people. Regardless of how decent west Miramar is, the name is a stigma.

Just about everyone around here knows that. Lots of cities here have a negative stigma. Oakland Park, Lauderhill, etc. etc. etc. It's weird that this other poster is in such denial about it.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
Says the guy from Davie. Most of Davie is a **** hole LOL

Easy Miramar is trash, West Miramar is nice... Davie is low class

Old 02-28-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero30 View Post
Says the guy from Davie. Most of Davie is a **** hole LOL

Easy Miramar is trash, West Miramar is nice... Davie is low class
Lol. You mean the miles and miles of million dollar acreage in Davie? Riiiiiight. Sounds like you bought an overpriced house in west Miramar and now you want to justify it. Good luck with that.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
With home prices soaring many people are retiring and cashing out....

Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 AM

139 posts, read 127,038 times
I never heard of Miramar being undesirable. Neither felt unsafe.While is true it does borders 2 rough towns West Park,the corridor of 441 and specially Miami Gardens,once you cross a couple of blocks into it,the difference is noticeable in a nicer way. Although some cities like Pembroke Pines are much nicer,that does not make Miramar undesirable. Maybe it has to do with taxes or something like that?

Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
I never heard of Miramar being undesirable. Neither felt unsafe.While is true it does borders 2 rough towns West Park,the corridor of 441 and specially Miami Gardens,once you cross a couple of blocks into it,the difference is noticeable in a nicer way. Although some cities like Pembroke Pines are much nicer,that does not make Miramar undesirable. Maybe it has to do with taxes or something like that?
No, not taxes. It has to do with it's reputation. How long have you lived in the area?

Anyone who has been around the area, say, 30 years, probably knows people who USED to live in Miramar. It changed radically, went into the dumps. West Miramar is totally decent, but the city certainly suffers from a negative stigma that it earned before west Miramar existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area