Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Fort Lauderdale as my main relocation option at the moment. Is this a good place for a single person in their mid 30's? Also, what kind of price range am I looking at for renting a one bedroom apartment or small house on or near the beach? How's the mid-entry level job market? Thanks for any and all usable input. As far as rude/grumpy sarcasm... Please just zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 27,536 times
Downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas seems like a good spot to be living in your mid 30s.

For a 1 bedroom apartment, you are probably looking at $1500-1700 depending on how desirable the area is. It is pretty expensive, you would be hard pressed to find an acceptable 1BR for under $1300 or so.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
Talpostal....Do or have you lived in that area?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 AM

I'm in my late 20s and moved from the midwest to Davie for a job a couple of months ago.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 AM

216 posts, read 271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talpostal View Post
I'm in my late 20s and moved from the midwest to Davie for a job a couple of months ago.
How do you like it so far?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
How do you like it so far?
To be honest, I'm pretty miserable but I would warn that the circumstances are probably about me as much as they are about the area.

I am originally from the midwest and lived in Seattle for grad school for two years before moving here, so the culture has been a big shock to my system. Pretty much everything you read about living in South Florida will mention that the culture down here is very different and materialistic but I didn't realize how different it would be. Speaking broadly I have had trouble finding people like me in terms of education/lifestyle/career aspirations because so many people come from a background where they work in the service industry and attend the little commuter college down the road (this makes me feel like a big snob, but coming from my background it has been a big change). Fort Lauderdale is a very big city so I am positive that there are people like me somewhere out there, but I am having a very hard time meeting people and making friends because all of the usual standbys (joining sports leagues, going to meetups) have done nothing for me.

The reason I want to give you a "your mileage may vary" disclaimer is that my job affords me very little free time during the week, meaning that I never have time to go out and meet people during happy hour or bar trivia or whatever. Fort Lauderdale is a nice city with things to do (particularly if you're downtown, which is close to the beach and everything) so I don't want to give it a bad rap but I certainly have my issues with it and I'm trying to get back to the midwest ASAP.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Yeah, Davie isn't a great spot for what you are looking for. The Millenials are by the city & the beach so you gotta be East of 95 to have a better shot of meeting people. Plus, with little free time through the week, it will be even harder.

Its cool you are joining sports leagues and going to meetups, so I applaud your efforts. Its more than most do in your age group in S. Florida.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM

21 posts, read 21,827 times
1500-2200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: