Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 12,675 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the application process for a transfer back to South Florida.

I was born and raised in SFL, but I've been gone since 2009 and have been living in South East Michigan. If I'm granted the transfer I should be back by Jan 2018, except I won't be coming back alone. I'm getting married and will be bringing the fiance.

She's a Michigan native, and is learning Spanish, but we would like to move to an area where the culture shock won't be too extreme.

We are looking to move to either Davie or Cooper City as they seem to have great schools K-12 (future kids) and a housing stock that fits our wish list.

We would like to ideally find a 4/2 w/ a 2 car garage (preferably a ranch) and space for 4 cars in the driveway; a 3/2 can work if we really fall in love with it. A neighborhood that is well maintained with decent sized lots (roughly 1/4 acre) or at least enough space in the back yard to have a good place to entertain and install a pool if one has not already been installed. We would like to avoid gated communities with high HOA fees. We are looking for a "forever" home, so we are looking long term.

My maximum budget is 450k, but I would like to be closer to 400k; "close to" turn key is preferred, not a gut job.

Is this realistic?

I will be working either in Plantation, Downtown FLL, or Doral. Regardless if I start in Doral the goal would be to eventually transfer to the Plantation/Downtown FLL office, so commuting from either city shouldn't be an issue. I have an extremely stable job so we are moving based on my commute; she will look for a job within the commuting area.

My question is, what are some neighborhoods/areas we should be looking at to find what we are looking for? Any insider tips? I don't know the areas well as I always lived in Miami-Dade growing up, but for what we are looking for it seems both of those cities are the best match.

It seems like Weston is the #1 recommended area, but I'm not a big fan of expensive HOA's, we dont care for the community pool, gym, etc.

Another question is, how is the housing market down there currently? It seems like houses in the mid 400's seem to end up selling for substantially less than they originally ask for when looking at sold homes on Zillow within the last year.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 06:39 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Check out Forest Ridge in Davie. It's not a cookie cutter community--not gated--it does have an HOA though--community pool, tennis court, basketball court. Beautiful area--by Tree Tops Park & Pine Island Ridge. You can actually walk from your home through the ridge to the park (we used to park in the community parking lot and take that path with our dogs). There are horse paths too!

Homes are lovely. Lots are nice sized by SFL standards. Check out the area and see what you think of the flight path. We decided against it 20 years ago based on that reason. However, I know several people who live out there & it doesn't bother them at all.

We used to live in Weston & our HOA was $305 per qtr. The HOA fees aren't all that bad by SFLA standards--when we looked at Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter as we contemplated moving further north, we thought it was a steal by comparison. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Will do, thanks wizrap.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Check out Forest Ridge in Davie. It's not a cookie cutter community--not gated--it does have an HOA though--community pool, tennis court, basketball court. Beautiful area--by Tree Tops Park & Pine Island Ridge. You can actually walk from your home through the ridge to the park (we used to park in the community parking lot and take that path with our dogs). There are horse paths too!

Homes are lovely. Lots are nice sized by SFL standards. Check out the area and see what you think of the flight path. We decided against it 20 years ago based on that reason. However, I know several people who live out there & it doesn't bother them at all.

We used to live in Weston & our HOA was $305 per qtr. The HOA fees aren't all that bad by SFLA standards--when we looked at Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter as we contemplated moving further north, we thought it was a steal by comparison. Good luck!
I have a good friend who lives there. He swore he was going to move out after a year (they were renting) because of the planes. He was straight up furious about it. They ended up buying the place and have been there a good 6 or 7 years now I guess. I think you adjust to the noise.

We avoided Long Lake Ranches because of the planes. I'm not sure I'd adjust well to it.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks BNBR, I never even thought about being on an airport flight path.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW2FLL View Post
It seems like Weston is the #1 recommended area, but I'm not a big fan of expensive HOA's, we dont care for the community pool, gym, etc.

Actually the HOAs in Weston are not expensive at all.

For example in Savanna, you would pay $320 per Quarter in HOA fees.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM

51 posts, read 82,370 times
Both of those matches seem like a good choice in my opinion. Davie will seem like a good match if you are looking for ranch style especially if you are looking for little to no HOA fees look into the Davie's Falcon's Lea community. Weston properties have a bit higher HOA fees and could be longer commute time. Start getting on agents list for emails as January is right around the corner. Let me know if you'd need any help.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Rethink that issue on working in Doral.

Commutes here can be particularly horrible and destroy your quality of life.

If you get stuck working in Doral for a year, I would rent there then buy in your optimal area after you transfer to Plantation.

Driving I95 is bad enough but you are defensive driving. And then you have the whole life sucking Doral thing.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
My good friend lives in Davie and commutes to Doral. He is OK

Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 AM

351 posts, read 460,937 times
It all depends on which side of Doral your job is located. For example, we live in Weston and my wife works in Doral, but the office is on the West side of Doral, so she takes Turnpike and that's it. On the other hand, if your job is let's say closer to the airport or the Fontainebleau communities, then your commute may not be as pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area