Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:51 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,644,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, that's rather arrogant not to mention inaccurate because

A. Fort Lauderdale is not even in the same county as Miami.
B. Dunedin, near Tampa area just got named the most walkable small town in the country, and if you have ever been there, it's a very walkable village atmosphere.
C. Same thing with Safety Harbor nearby.
D. Same thing with St. Petersburg downtown nearby.
E. You forgot downtown Delray/the beach and downtown Hollywood in South Florida
F. Ever been to St. Augustine?
Also Boca Raton downtown area and surroundings are very walkable and very safe compared to some other cities downtown in south Florida, just to mention Royal Palm open mall and Mizner Park and its all new condo developments plenty of cafes, restaurants, nightclubs, banks, shoppes, boutiques, furniture stores, antique stores, cinema, anfitheathre, library, bookstores,gift stores, baby stores, grocery stores, bars, supermarkets, druggstores, fastfood restaurants, churches, sinagogs, beauty salons, medical offices as well as world recognized plastic surgeons, and one of the most attractive and upscale mall in Florida: Town Center, not more than 5 minutes by car from US1 and Royal Palms Road. Boca Raton downtown is pretty much walkeable and even safe late night where some other "downtowns" are not much safe to walk arund late night as Boca's.
Fort Lauderdale downtown is walkable also but not exactly each part or corner of downtown area. Las Olas boulevard is plenty of restuarants, cafes, shoppes, boutiques, offices, banks, hotels, bars, etc. It is pretty safe but do not dare to walk late night by yourselve beyond its west boundaries. I still remember when we had "Hyde Park" supermarket on Las Olas boulevard, right in the heart of the downtown where one could walk over and see the neighbors doing their groceries. Unfortunately "Hyde Park" supermarket closed its doors for ever.
Downtown West Palm Beach and its City Place remainds me a little bit of european flavor , where everybody walk everywhere day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,094 times
About public transportation in Wilton Manors, it looks like the BCT busses (#50, #60) all go to the Broward Blvd. Tri-rail station, skipping past downtown Fort Laurderdale. So you have to transfer or walk far to get to most of the downtown area, e.g., Las Olas Blvd. To me, it's a shame to be so close to downtown, but have to transfer to actually get there on public transportation! On top of that, it looks like no direct busses to the beaches!! Perhaps something to consider it you're not going to drive anywhere.

Also you should check how often the community shuttle busses run. For example, down here in Aventura, they run once an hour, which is pretty much useless.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 PM

57 posts, read 165,356 times
iswydjt.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM

216 posts, read 438,227 times
I would say that someone could definitely get by in WM without a vehicle especially if they settle close to the "downtown". Certainly more so than most areas of the county.The "downtown" has a lot of amenities although many are very targeted to the demographic (Gay Mart etc). There is a bus system, and the downtown area is connected to the central Ft Lauderdale area and other major shopping destinations, hospitals etc.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times
Question looking for a rental apt in Wilton Manors...

Can you suggest any specific areas (cross streets) or rentals that I can look into in Wilton Manors? I live in Miami-Dade now and I'm looking for a quiet, safe neighborhood. Several people have suggested Wilton Manors. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyf9999 View Post
The feedback I have received from most visitors who experience Wilton Manors and the South FL lyfestyle is that they love it. I've lived in Chicago, DC, Dallas and Atlanta. I have visited at least a couple of times NYC, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, St Pete, St Augustine, etc, and I really do like Wilton Manors a lot. The change in recent years is incredible. A ton of homes have been completely updated, new buildings have been erected, and there are plenty of businesses to satisfy all your needs. You can walk to dozens of shops, restaurants, speacialty stores, thrift stores, supermarkets, drug stores and anything else you could ever need within minutes. I feel safe in Wilton Manors.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1914 View Post
Can you suggest any specific areas (cross streets) or rentals that I can look into in Wilton Manors? I live in Miami-Dade now and I'm looking for a quiet, safe neighborhood. Several people have suggested Wilton Manors. Thanks!
You want to look East of Andrews. West of Andrews is where all of the crime and police calls go to. Anywhere in Wilton Manors EAST of Andrews should be good!

As far as rentals, you will need to look at each one invidividually. There are no huge complexes for rentals (unless you consider Gables Wilton Park, which is 1100 for a small studio). I found a great place just over the border in Oakland Park that is a 2/2 for 900 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area