Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Did anyone catch the Downtown Hollywood report on CHannel 10 about another business closing up because a lack of traffic i guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times
I was there a while ago and was really impressed, quite beautiful. When I was there the streets where pretty alone bit it had small crowds nothing like other downtown or destinations but charming.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
We were there last Friday evening and the place is so charming, but no people around. I wondered how those stores stayed in business. I guess they don't.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM

45 posts, read 152,078 times
I work in downtown Hollywood and frequent the local restaurants during my lunch breaks. I am usually the only one sitting at a table. I've been told that that the evening and weekend crowds keep the place going, but I find that hard to believe.

I do notice that most of the eateries survive, but that the boutiques come and go almost every other week. People come here to wind down, but go to the malls to shop - you would be a fool to open anything but a restaurant here IMO.

There is so much potential here, and unlike Miami-Dade, they are at least trying to make their downtown area worth visiting. It would be a shame to see it fail.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 AM

tpitner,

what mall is close to that area? What do you think could boost the situation?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 AM

45 posts, read 152,078 times
Wild Style,

Aventura Mall is the closest - it's about a 10 minute drive from downtown Hollywood on US1 depending on traffic. I hate going to Aventura Mall as parking is always atrocious.

What could boost the situation? Great question. It's a catch 22 really. To attract shoppers, there need to be more stores - but no one will open any because of the high risk of individual failure. Also, the area is quite small when compared to other successfull downtown shopping areas (Miracle Mile in Gables, Magnificent Mile in Chicago, et.c), so space is a limiting factor for sure and could never compete with the variety a mega mall can offer.

I think this area will just have to remain a place to eat and drink for the forseable future. It really is a charming place - maybe it just needs more promotion? Most people around here know about it but need to be reminded to come...

There's a Polish Pub called PRL I've always wanted to visit (my wife is Polish), but it's always been closed when we stop by... have you been there?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM

I don't drink so no never been. I have only driven through that area a few times and walked it once. wasnt impressed (cause of a lack of shops/businessess) and havent gone back.

They (they city) should have built UP, meaning put two, three stories buildings, more space for retail/living, made it look "sexy". I don't know hat else they could have done different :S

Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM

21 posts, read 91,088 times
Default so sad - I grew up there

I grew up near Hollywood Florida, I think there are too many condo's whose owners do not visit often enough. All that beautiful beach is hidden behind these huge monstrosities --- it should be illegal. Why should anyone go?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM

tlynn

To me (my personal opinion) the architecture on Hollywood beach is one of the UGLIEST I have seen in a very, very, very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area