Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 AM

305 posts, read 805,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Florida is the only place that I have seen that is so resistant to accept any improvement. That was 5 years ago. We are a mediocre but better 29th now and Florida was one of the first states to establish a statewide community college system, which means the 2 year colleges are quite decent on the national scale and are connected to other state universities. You should probably check out BCC, you have nothing to lose.
I go there but that's not the issue.

The issue for a 19 year old black women is education first and foremost and with that said a move to South Florida which is usually pretty non-progressive is dumb and the OP is better staying in a place with much more positive examples and influences around her.

South Florida is not the place, especially for blacks to look for inspiration.. I think that's pretty common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Florida is the only place that I have seen that is so resistant to accept any improvement. That was 5 years ago. We are a mediocre but better 29th now and Florida was one of the first states to establish a statewide community college system, which means the 2 year colleges are quite decent on the national scale and are connected to other state universities. You should probably check out BCC, you have nothing to lose.

That's funny that you say that. One of the number one things I notice is how segregated it is up here in the tri state area compared to just about anywhere. People up here (I'm up in the tri-state now) not only do not interact, but can not even live in the same neighborhood. Insulated ethnic enclaves are the rule. Family friends here tend to be all of the same ethnicity. I honestly can not say the same for my family in Florida. I actually have family in South FL that intermarried into black and Middle Eastern families. Try pulling that off as a Jew or Italian from Brooklyn or Staten Island and having friends too. It's hard enough for an Italian to marry a Jew, let alone full fledged interracial relationships.

Boston on the other hand, I see TONS of interracial relationships every time I go. I think interaction between different groups there is much better than NY, which IMO is borderline nonexistent other than sitting on the same subway train or working in the same office. As far as South Florida, I think people are singing kum-by-yah in the streets in Broward compared to NYC. You don't really hear too many incidents like 16 year old guidos beating up blacks in Howard Beach because they are black, or vise versa in Jamaica. And don't even get me started on LI. I love NY and even LI and understand how things work up here but interaction between races is not really a strong point at all. Now, there is plenty of ignorance in South FL, but I think that there is way more day to day interaction and people tend to have a more diverse group of friends there.

And you know, part of that is the lack community here compared to a NE city...

There is some truth to what you say. There's more to it though.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
There is some truth to what you say. There's more to it though.
Well, of course there is. I think both of us could write a book about the subject . It's just a totally different place altogether and can not be truly compared.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 18,704 times
The Bus System in Fort Lauderdale is not that bad at all, it does take awhile to get to some places, but over all, its not that bad.

I'm from San Francisco and for a city that has a "great" public transit system, it sucked. It smelled, never on time, slow and with rude drivers.

I have never experienced any of that with the Broward County Transit System.

BTW there is a bus line that stops right by your schools dorms and where they have classes.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,545 times
There are absolutely NO POSITIVES are living in Fort Lauderdale, or south Florida for that matter, unless you are Hispanic or Black, you wouldn't like it here.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
There are absolutely NO POSITIVES are living in Fort Lauderdale, or south Florida for that matter, unless you are Hispanic or Black, you wouldn't like it here.
Here is a quote from the original poster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diva View Post

3.) As a 19 year old young black woman, is the city going to be enjoyable for me? Let me clarify: I am CERTAINLY NOT racist and love eveyone, but people told me SOME parts of Florida are stil VERY ignorant towards minorities.
So, Mr. Music, can you do everyone a favor and leave already? I can already tell that you probably embarrass yourself a lot here anyway.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 AM

Not embarassed at all, just stating a fact. And I repeat, unless you are black or hispanic, you won't like it here, that goes for everybody reading this post that might want to move here. If your are white, think again, because you won't enjoy being the minority. And, when I move next week, I'll still have internet access and still be posting my thoughts here, so enjoy them.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 AM

I also have to say that it is beautiful down here. The palm trees and the tropical look are unmatched anywhere in the USA.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 43,913 times
Love Florida, there is no better place...lol

Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
And, when I move next week, I'll still have internet access and still be posting my thoughts here, so enjoy them.
Good luck and safe travels wherever you are heading. My apologies for any hostile encounters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area