Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 PM

73 posts, read 64,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks sooooo much everyone..truly appreciate the feedback as it's very helpful. More torn now than before about whether or not to buy. Would like to but I'm not sure it makes financial sense as another mentioned . If I put 20k in a mutual find, etf etc. and add 24k a year[which would be about my yearly total for my mortgage etc] with an average return of 5% per year at the end of 15 years I'd have about $500k. No brainer to me. What's the benefit to buying a condo over investing? Even if my 200k condo goes yo 400k in 15 years I'm still short over the investing scenario.

Right. And also, no one knows how the area and your preferences will change over 15 years.
Also, if you buy when you actually retire, you avoid 15 years worth of condo headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 AM

36 posts, read 42,994 times
I don't live in Florida right now but I heard property taxes are gonna go up...

Old 12-14-2017, 07:54 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Thanks sooooo much everyone..truly appreciate the feedback as it's very helpful. More torn now than before about whether or not to buy. Would like to but I'm not sure it makes financial sense as another mentioned . If I put 20k in a mutual find, etf etc. and add 24k a year[which would be about my yearly total for my mortgage etc] with an average return of 5% per year at the end of 15 years I'd have about $500k. No brainer to me. What's the benefit to buying a condo over investing? Even if my 200k condo goes yo 400k in 15 years I'm still short over the investing scenario.
If you really want to make yourself crazy bump your investment return to 7 or 8% and the condo really gets left in the dust. I saw a Vanguard fund that returned 10.8% since inception in 1988!

If you had a full time tenant then that skews the numbers back in favor of buying but that doesn't help with your 3X a year vacation. You never mentioned your price point but honestly if it is 200-300K you aren't really buying anything great in that area.

Here is a nice condo across from the ocean:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M69263-34139

Sold in Feb 98 for $93,000. Currently valued by the county at 242,000. Listed for sale for 15 months so far, current asking price is 250K.

Association Fee $596 month!
With no special assessments, the HOA fee alone is $7200 a year, plus $2200 in taxes for the current owner, new buyer will surely be $3000+.

At current numbers the seller would have spent 180K in taxes and HOA fees owning it since 1998! 180K + 93K purchase price = 273K yet current asking price is only 249K!

Old 12-14-2017, 09:24 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you really want to make yourself crazy bump your investment return to 7 or 8% and the condo really gets left in the dust. I saw a Vanguard fund that returned 10.8% since inception in 1988!

If you had a full time tenant then that skews the numbers back in favor of buying but that doesn't help with your 3X a year vacation. You never mentioned your price point but honestly if it is 200-300K you aren't really buying anything great in that area.

Here is a nice condo across from the ocean:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M69263-34139

Sold in Feb 98 for $93,000. Currently valued by the county at 242,000. Listed for sale for 15 months so far, current asking price is 250K.

Association Fee $596 month!
With no special assessments, the HOA fee alone is $7200 a year, plus $2200 in taxes for the current owner, new buyer will surely be $3000+.

At current numbers the seller would have spent 180K in taxes and HOA fees owning it since 1998! 180K + 93K purchase price = 273K yet current asking price is only 249K!
Yes, when I did a quick search, I saw that one too. Led me to believe that the OP had to do far more due diligence.

I'm not a big fan of real estate as an investment. Not as much immediate liquidity compared to a mutual fund. I am not saying there are successes out there--I know of a few people that have made it work. They all shared a couple of things in common though--1. They were not absentee landlords (or if they did live outside the area, they were very involved landlords, spending several times each month communicating and corresponding with tenants) and 2. They either were very handy about making repairs and addressing maintenance issues, or they had a team of experts they could call to do fixes (and of course knew this would cut into real estate investment "profits.")

The OP is also many years away from retirement. I agree with those who say that you may, or may not, like SFLA 20 or so years from now. And if you do, what's the worst that can happen? You purchase your condo with your mutual fund investment earnings. And could even have money left over!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:12 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I agree with those who say that you may, or may not, like SFLA 20 or so years from now.
Excellent point
Neighborhoods change quite rapidly.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:00 PM

987 posts, read 822,869 times
Thanks very much everyone. We've decided not to buy.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Don't buy anything- take your planned monthly mortgage payment/tax bill/HOA payment and put it in a strong mutual fund then come to Florida on vacation 3X a year without any headaches.

Any of those 200-300K condos are going to be OLD and old buildings are ripe for high HOA assessments (rebuilding rotting balconies, window replacements, elevator replacements, etc). A lot of older buildings have deferred maintenance in order to keep the HOA fee low but at some point they will be forced to spend the money and few have the reserves they need to pay for it all.

The problem you will have will be the condo you buy today certainly wont be the condo you want to retire to in 25 years.
Having this thought, we tired a strong mutual fund - was not to be. They're not really 'strong'.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Having this thought, we tired a strong mutual fund - was not to be. They're not really 'strong'.
Huh?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Don't buy anything- take your planned monthly mortgage payment/tax bill/HOA payment and put it in a strong mutual fund then come to Florida on vacation 3X a year without any headaches.

Any of those 200-300K condos are going to be OLD and old buildings are ripe for high HOA assessments (rebuilding rotting balconies, window replacements, elevator replacements, etc). A lot of older buildings have deferred maintenance in order to keep the HOA fee low but at some point they will be forced to spend the money and few have the reserves they need to pay for it all.

The problem you will have will be the condo you buy today certainly wont be the condo you want to retire to in 25 years.

THE MUTUAL FUND COMMENT. huh?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post

THE MUTUAL FUND COMMENT. huh?
Be a little more clear with your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area