Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM

159 posts, read 558,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I spent the entire day in Dania today. We were checking out antique shops on US-1. It just felt weird, almost creepy. The streets were realy unkempt and the people working at the shops weren't friendly or able to answer any of our questions. I also got my palm read, it was the biggest scam in the world! The woman made negative blanket statements and it was just terrible. What a scam!I have never been anywhere like Dania before, and towards the end, we were really aching to get back to good old predictable Aventura where people are mean but at least it doesn't feel like you're trapped in the setting of a Stephan King story.

What did you expect from the palm reading?

There are some different folks in dania , but Ive found the same odd types in many parts of soflo. That said I personally wouldnt choose the area to live, I think there are better comparable areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
Besides what everyone else has mentioned... You're practically right over the flight path for Ft. Lauderdale / Hollywood Int'l Airport
And with the planned airport expansion of the south runway, which is now the official "preferred alternative" of the Broward County Commission, purchasing anywhere in that area is a bad idea.

If you go on realtor.com, you'll see there is a fire sale in Melaleuca Gardens near the proposed runway - people can't sell and get out fast enough, rather than wait for the government to potentially buy them out for unfair prices.

Very sad, as I had visited a friend who lives in that neighborhood and it's a great little area with excellent ocean access.

Unfortunately, the power brokers in Broward County will allow it to be trampled by the airport.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I spent the entire day in Dania today. We were checking out antique shops on US-1. It just felt weird, almost creepy. The streets were realy unkempt and the people working at the shops weren't friendly or able to answer any of our questions. I also got my palm read, it was the biggest scam in the world! The woman made negative blanket statements and it was just terrible. What a scam!I have never been anywhere like Dania before, and towards the end, we were really aching to get back to good old predictable Aventura where people are mean but at least it doesn't feel like you're trapped in the setting of a Stephan King story.
I've always kind of felt like I was stepping into the Twilight Zone when entering U.S. 1 in Dania - or a time machine....

What's tragic is that Dania is an area that has so much potential for redevelopment, and the City really is trying (the employees of the City, and a select few of their elected leaders). I know a few people who work for the City and they really are working to improve things. The City recently adopted a new land use code that is designed to encourage redevelopment.

They face challenges because over the years, the western areas of the city became a dumping ground for undesirable industrial, boat yards, junkyards and the like, and the east became overrun with halfway houses, transient housing, adult stores. However, some with a longer memory can remember Delray Beach before it was redeveloped (very sketchy).

Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Well, it would be great to see Dania cleaned up. It does have so much potential and I know down here I have seen undesirable neighborhoods transform into nice, trendy neighborhoods in a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area