Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,443,229 times

Advertisements

Yet, they ranked Ft. Lauderdale 15th in best place to retire... These rankings are meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM

182 posts, read 248,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandhumid View Post
since some of the posters here in the fort lauderdale area, probably donald trump supporters, seem to think i come up "fake news" and that facts and figures i put down in my posts about fort lauderdale are pulled out of my hat, i copied and pasted sections of an article on the sun-sentinel website that was also printed in an issue of that local newspaper about just how unsafe it is to live in fort lauderdale these days:

With one of the highest rates of traffic fatalities per capita in the united states, fort lauderdale is dead last in a ranking of the 182 safest metro areas, according to personal finance website wallethub.
And that’s a list that includes cities that have drawn attention in recent years for violent crime — places like chicago, which was ranked 135, and baltimore, which was 151.
The nation’s two largest cities, new york (132) and los angeles (143), were deemed safer than fort lauderdale.

The wallethub study considered the various ways in which a person can feel threatened or insecure into three larger categories: Home and community safety, natural disaster risk, and financial safety.
The community safety category took into account crime and public safety, looking at metrics like the rates of various crimes including murder.

The natural disaster risk considered the probability of each metro area facing earthquakes, floods, hail, hurricane storm surge, tornadoes or wildfires.

The third, financial safety, took into account the unemployment rate as well as the rates of poverty, foreclosure, identity theft and others.the study ranked the importance of each of these three general categories, with more weight given to home and community safety than the other two.

Fort lauderdale was ranked 147 when it came to most traffic fatalities per capita.
Fort lauderdale also was among the worst cities for financial safety, as it was a four-way tie for the 115 spot when it comes to percentage of households with emergency savings. The three other cities all are in south florida: Miami, hialeah and pembroke pines.
For reasons that were not clear, a ranking for natural disaster risk wasn’t available for fort lauderdale — despite the threat of hurricanes.
Maybe you can come up to one of your great Democratic stongholds here in Baltimore and in parts of MD and see how its going with regards to murder and shootings. Anyplace you have these anti-american goones -called the Democratic party -in charge for years on end you'll have pure hell. Thank god for Trump!

Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 AM

397 posts, read 320,683 times
Not that Fort Lauderdale/Broward County is a perfect paradise, but it's certainly safer than somewhere like Detroit, Baltimore, etc. Statistics and how they're curated for certain articles can be misleading. I know this is the most unsafe state for pedestrians. Anecdotally I see stupid people all the time taking unnecessary risks while crossing streets and I'm sure that adds to it, along with the amount of highways and every road basically being 45 mph or more. I feel like I can control how I act as a driver or pedestrian, but I can't control rampant violent crime which affects bystanders or innocent people targeted by criminals. Much bigger issue in the aforementioned cities and many parts of Chicago, St. Louis, etc.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM

440 posts, read 518,475 times
Default Crime in Other Places

Some of the posters must have only lived in one or two locals all their lives and don't realize that when they read about crime in places like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc., that things like murders are not generally taking place in the prime areas of those cities but is instead happening in areas where gangs have taken hold such as the destitute west side of Chicago that used to be where many U.S. companies once had manufacturing facilities and warehouses for the goods manufactured in that area until Congress started allowing companies to manufacture and import goods that used to be made in the U.S. to be free of import taxes to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S. Many of the murders you read about in other cities are the result of gang turf wars and not people arbitrarily being shot while out dining or shopping.

You're not going to see reports of drive by gang shootings happening on Madison Avenue in New York, on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, etc., but you can quite easily be a traffic fatality in Fort Lauderdale or you can be one of the multitude of people here who can't find a decent paying job so that you can never save up the emergency fund to fall back on as was reported on in the Sun Sentinel newspaper article.

It should also be noted that for some reason, the hurricane threat was not doctored in when Fort Lauderdale was rated as the most unsafe place to live of 182 urban areas in the U.S. and if hurricane hits had been included, which resulted in the deaths of several elderly people in a nursing home in Broward County when the power went out during 90 degree weather and high humidity from Hurricane Irma this past hurricane season, Fort Lauderdale probably would have beat out it's nearest competing city for most unsafe urban area in the U.S. by a very wide margin considering that Florida is rated number one in the U.S. for insurance claims due to natural disasters because the hurricanes that hit Florida quite regularly more times than not in recent years are not limited to the small areas of damage caused by natural disasters in other states but instead damage hundreds of miles of Florida homes and businesses as the hurricanes that hit here travel over the parts of the rest of state making evacuations orders tough to follow when you don't know where to evacuate to here that won't be hit by the approaching hurricane, unless of course you can afford to charter a plane out of the state before the hurricane winds get too strong like wealthy people here have done in the past.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:26 PM

243 posts, read 229,142 times
wow op. you know I never knew metro areas and bigger cities had crime. I guess I should move to a mid west hillbilly town of 500 to live a sheltered and "safe" life lol.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,860 times
I find this hard to believe. Miami is SIGNIFICANTLY less safe than FTL, this is a commonly known fact..

Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,288,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
Some of the posters must have only lived in one or two locals all their lives and don't realize that when they read about crime in places like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc., that things like murders are not generally taking place in the prime areas of those cities but is instead happening in areas where gangs have taken hold such as the destitute west side of Chicago that used to be where many U.S. companies once had manufacturing facilities and warehouses for the goods manufactured in that area until Congress started allowing companies to manufacture and import goods that used to be made in the U.S. to be free of import taxes to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S. Many of the murders you read about in other cities are the result of gang turf wars and not people arbitrarily being shot while out dining or shopping.

You're not going to see reports of drive by gang shootings happening on Madison Avenue in New York, on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, etc., but you can quite easily be a traffic fatality in Fort Lauderdale or you can be one of the multitude of people here who can't find a decent paying job so that you can never save up the emergency fund to fall back on as was reported on in the Sun Sentinel newspaper article.
Of course you aren't. There is not that really all that much crime in NYC other than in pockets of some of the outer boroughs.

"Crime in New York City Plunges to a Level Not Seen Since the 1950s"

"...In fact, crime has fallen in New York City in each of the major felony categories — murder and manslaughter, rape, assault, robbery, burglary, grand larceny, and car thefts — to a total of 94,806 as of Sunday, well below the previous record low of 101,716 set last year....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/27/n...rime-2017.html

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 PM

835 posts, read 480,061 times
I hear the schools are really safe in South Florida

Old 02-16-2018, 05:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Really?? How do you sleep at night? And for the record since you're obviously clueless, American schools collectively are "really safe".

Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,840,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Show some respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area