Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When did S. Florida Housing Market Peak?
1st half of 2005 3 18.75%
2nd half of 2005 5 31.25%
1st half of 2006 5 31.25%
2nd half of 2006 3 18.75%
1st half of 2007 0 0%
2nd half of 2007 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times

Advertisements

Casual - thanks! And, you're welcome to come by for plants when you're ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:11 PM

157 posts, read 601,106 times
when the asking prices drop down to what it was 4- 5 years ago then the market will be back to reality, but don't expect the prices to drop too much, remember that FL will always be a desirable area like California and New York...have you checked the prices there? A 1300sf house in California is $700k and the most it will ever go down to is $500k

Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Pricing falling back to year 2003 level? When did the bubble start in S. FL? Is it 2003?

I'm ignorant and would like to know.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
when the asking prices drop down to what it was 4- 5 years ago then the market will be back to reality, but don't expect the prices to drop too much, remember that FL will always be a desirable area like California and New York...have you checked the prices there? A 1300sf house in California is $700k and the most it will ever go down to is $500k
Incorrect. Prices fell by 75% in NYC during the last housing bubble which was late 80s early 90s. Same thing happened in Cali. More people have left Broward than came here. Regardless of how "desirable" people imagine it to be here, houses can only be as much as the local economy can take. Putting a year figure on home prices really is irrational. It depends on the local economy. If the locals are making more than what they were 4 yrs ago then prices will go to that. If they are making less then the prices will reflect that too.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
There's no crystal ball here, folks, it is all speculation. The closest you can come to having some rational approach is to study the market statistics like a hawk and be prepared to act quickly if the key stats start firming for a couple of months in a row.

Like Phoenix, Las Vegas and other desirable sunbelt locations, Florida's real estate boom was as influenced by investment speculators as much as, in not more than, traditional economic/employment drivers. In this regard, speculators, with later/higher acquisition cost bases, will be quicker to sell out since they are just cutting an investment loss as opposed to giving up a roof over their heads. Nonetheless, there are still huge amounts of cash and capital floating around out there looking for a return. There is already evidence that real estate vulture outfits are starting to make some moves.

It is true that banks and other financial institutions will be quick to unload any inventory they are forced to take on, since unoccupied houses are non-income producing assets and REO attracts an especially punitive risk-based capital charge to their balance sheets. Nonetheless, a lot of mortgages were originated by the late night TV outfits who unloaded loan risk via securitization traunches. This fragmentation of risk will delay not only loss recognition pressures but also make it hard for a single creditor to make a decision relative to a single property.

While I will take the locals word that the employment economy is south Florida is not good, there are still a zillion baby boomers to retire. Some will choose Georgia, Texas and the Carolinas, but a goodly number will still choose Florida.

And even for those early wave retirees that are now looking to migrate out of Florida because of insurance costs and more "crowded" conditions, they may indeed want to sell, but chances are they will keep their house listed for a long time at a high price.

While the US economy is struggling, South American economies like Brazil are still going along quite well. Miami and its surrounds will still likely benefit as the logical points of service for South American operations.

This is hardly an exhaustive list of factors......my point being though nobody is going to perfectly predict whether the minuses overrule the pluses and even if so, for how long. A lot of this real estate slump is consumer confidence induced. Who knows what and when something will be reported that turns sentiment around?

We're ultimately left to our own individual brainpower and risk/reward appetite in making our decisions. Best of luck to us all.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
^^

casual

there was a report on retirees. Many are leaving Florida and a lot are remaining in the North East now so you can't count on that anymore.

As for crystal ball, you don't need one. If you understand economics and how housing works you can predict with accuracy where prices will go. They did it in the 90s, they did it in the 80s and they did it in the 70s.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
There's also another thought. South Florida is almost completely built out. If/when the next period of growth comes along (and it will, due to unrest in South America, or European and Canadian influx, or just 20-somethings who want to live in Miami because it's hip, etc.), there will be price pressures on existing property. The export business in South Florida is also very hot right now because of the declining dollar - I really don't see how this area could ever become another Detroit or Cleveland.

Wild, btw, we sold 2 pieces of property in NYC (Manhattan) during the height of their drop. One was an apt that we purchased in 86 for $112k and sold in '89 for $75k. And, the other was an apt we bought in '84 for $235k and sold in '89 for $175k, so not quite a 75% drop, but painful just the same. And, if we had held on a few years, obviously, we would have done much better. One thing NYC has in common with S Florida is limited land and a steady influx of newcomers in every kind of economic state.

Also, on the subject of interest rates - when they increase, and I believe they will, remember that they reached the 12-14% level during the height of the inflation and took a LONG time (like decades) to come down again - we didnt reach 5-6% till only a very few years ago. I wouldn't try to time this beyond low interest rates.

So, my advice is if you find something you like, plan to stay beyond a few years, and you can afford a 30 year fixed mrtgage, grab it because you will have timed it as best as you can during a difficult period.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM

207 posts, read 614,178 times
Default Well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
There's no crystal ball here, folks, it is all speculation. The closest you can come to having some rational approach is to study the market statistics like a hawk and be prepared to act quickly if the key stats start firming for a couple of months in a row.

Like Phoenix, Las Vegas and other desirable sunbelt locations, Florida's real estate boom was as influenced by investment speculators as much as, in not more than, traditional economic/employment drivers.
A lot of this real estate slump is consumer confidence induced. Who knows what and when something will be reported that turns sentiment around?

We're ultimately left to our own individual brainpower and risk/reward appetite in making our decisions. Best of luck to us all.
I think this is one of the best posts on this thread, very well put. I know history is the best predictor of future. But history of other states and areas are what they are history. We are here and now...I do think home choices need to be based on the individual and their situation. As far as I think it is a gentleman that mentioned renting "outside" or maybe buying outside of Broward. I find that very hard for most to do if you work, or in my case my hubby works in Ft Lauderdale. We moved here from Michigan where he use to have over an hour commute at times w/terrible traffic...there is no way he is going back to that...and most others that may work in the area are not going to go for the large commute especially w/gas prices....I would think....I can't speak for them, but for us...we have had a huge saving in gasoline moving down here even w/the crazy gas prices! Yikes! But I must also say everyone on here as made wonderful educated statements so I am not trying to discredit anyone...I am just adding my two cents and thought the above post said things well...

Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I don't know if buying or renting "outside the county" is the solution. It doesn't get cheaper until you get to about Port St. Lucie which quite honestly isn't a desirable location compared to someplace in South PBC or West Broward. I have also heard of people moving to Leigh Acres and taking the alley down here for a cheaper house. But what does that area offer? Well, it offers a cheap house. It offers nothing else except for a two hour commute to Ft. Lauderdale if you want a (comparatively) decent job, since the economy in Lee County is in shambles. And as far as Dade or Palm Beach, well, they are more expensive than Broward. Palm Beach has a little bit of a perceived desirability edge and that's why it is more expensive than Broward. On top of that, there is a huge population of wealthy retirees and second homes compared to Broward and they blow up the prices for the market in general and increase the demand for real estate. Dade has a high rate of immigration and people willing to live 5 families to a house, which also blows up the prices for people who don't want to live like that. Broward is shrinking in value (and population) because it's too expensive for what it is and the average wage here. Compared to Dade or Palm Beach, Broward has the closest thing to a "normal" economic structure although it is still far from that (thus the reason the prices blew up so much in the first place), however because it is the closest thing to "normal" it will fall back to sustainable prices quicker. It does still have the "Florida factor" (second homes, immigration, imported foreign money, etc) but not to the same extremes. As we all know, speculation and exotic loans were a problem state wide.

Either way, EVERYWHERE in Florida is overpriced right now, desirable/good economy or not.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-07-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile I still love real estate and Fort Lauderdale!

I live in Boca but would move to a condo or townhome in FTL in a minute. I love FTL around Las Olas and the beach. I would keep my home in Boca and rent it out if need be. Real estate is a tangible asset and if bought well and for the long term, you will do fine.

During the run-up, speculators played a huge part especially in condo land. There will be people always retiring to Florida, don't worry about that. Many have family here, have visited and feel comfortable. The retiree of tomorrow will be vastly different than the retiree of 30 years ago. No offense intended please!

As a prior poster said, each situation is different and unique. We all have to be responsible for our own decisions whatever they may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area