Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup, meanwhile, an armed, trained SRO let 17 kids perish inside the school

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...during-n850441

There are stories to support anything. The bottom line is that a semi-automatic rifle is far easier than a handgun to use for mass shootings. It's very good at that purpose. You don't need an AR or sig sauer MCX for home defense or deer hunting, now do you?
But an AR would be very effective for home defense purpose too. Deer hunting, I guess not. But the second amendment is not about deer hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM

294 posts, read 233,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
But an AR would be very effective for home defense purpose too. Deer hunting, I guess not. But the second amendment is not about deer hunting.
Nor is the Second Amendment about assault weapons either. A well regulated militia doesn't kill children. I am hoping people like you sign up to help secure schools with a revolver so when a shooter armed with an assault weapon shows up the kids will be safe.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The h*** it's not the guns.

He didn't use a butter knife, a ruler, a rolling pin, a spoon, a bomb, or anything else but a "civilian" version of a battlefield rifle to shoot and kill 17 people.

These rifles are not for "sport-shooting" but for killing human beings quickly and cheaply.

True, guns (like revolvers, shotguns, hunting rifles, and even semi-automatic handguns) have always been around and, subsequently, have been used to murder people but rarely resulted in killing people in numbers that rival battlefield rifles like the AR-15 and AK-47.

You're entitled to your own opinion but your statement shamefully marginalizes the carnage caused by battlefield rifles like the AR-15.

It is very sad and reprehensible that we, as a society, accept the lie from hell that such tragedies are "the price of freedom".
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Virginia Tech kid killed 32 people.......just with 2 handguns.
Univ of Texas- no automatic weapons yet Whitman killed seventeen people and wounded thirty-one in the 96 minutes before he was shot and killed by Austin police officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy. During that time, police were aided by several civilians who provided suppressive fire with their own rifles.
I don't know what point you were trying to make but thank you for proving my point.

You had to go back to the 1960s to find one example of an individual who killed 17 people without using a weapon like the AR-15.

Yet, we can both probably think of at least dozen mass shootings that have occured since the 1990s involving AR-15s, AK-47s, and similar battlefield rifles.

By the way, if you more carefully read my post, then you will see that I acknowledged the existence and use of semi-automatic weapons, not automatic weapons, in mass shootings.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
You really think a handgun can compete on a level field with an assault weapon? And before judging the deputy too much I think everyone should ask themselves What would they have done.....knowing there was one or even two assault weapons being fired.......go in with your handgun or wait for backup. And what is going to happen when armed teachers don't "prevent" a shooter with an assault weapon mowing down children. Lawsuits???? I bet that deputy would have gone in if he heard a gun going off and not an assault weapon. Teachers are teachers and should not be sharpshooters. Some of my best teachers in growing up would not have been too good with anything more than a pencil sharpener.
Thank you for your sensible response to such an absolutely ludicrous and irresponsible idea.

It's like pointing out to someone that a hammer is the wrong tool to make a repair and their answer is to get a bigger hammer or multiple hammers.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Until your rounds go through the walls of any surrounding homes and buildings or travel blocks away and wound or kill innocent people.

Are you familiar with the term "overkill" (no pun intended)?

Please, please tell us that you don't own an AR or similar rifle.

Your thinking is very scary and I'm thankful you're not one of my neighbors.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM

294 posts, read 233,148 times
So Gov Scott wants to put a law enforcement officer in every school in the state or 1 per 1000 students. I think a better idea is to put a NRA member in every school. Here is your jacket, badge and revolver. Why put officers lives on the line. Put the ones that want the assault weapons out there on the front line. Problem solved!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Nor is the Second Amendment about assault weapons either. A well regulated militia doesn't kill children. I am hoping people like you sign up to help secure schools with a revolver so when a shooter armed with an assault weapon shows up the kids will be safe.
The second amendment clearly states that the federal government cannot pass any laws restricting firearms. Last I checked, "assault rifles" are firearms hence the 2nd amendment says the federal government cannot pass a single law restricting them.

Those restrictions were left up to the states until the 14th amendment.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:15 PM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Until your rounds go through the walls of any surrounding homes and buildings or travel blocks away and wound or kill innocent people.

Are you familiar with the term "overkill" (no pun intended)?

Please, please tell us that you don't own an AR or similar rifle.

Your thinking is very scary and I'm thankful you're not one of my neighbors.
The ar 15 has the firepower of your average hunting rifle of the same caliber. It just looks like a military weapon, to sell. And I posted another article to silence dfwuno of a homeowner using an ar 15 to kill 3 home intruders in oklahoma. I'm sure he's glad he had access to a gun when those burglars broke into his home.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Looks like what the state won’t do, the cities will.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I’m still on the Weston email list & that city is making gun control front & center at its next meeting. It’s asking BSO for 3 police officers at it’s elementary schools; also authorizing the city attorney to sue the state (& asks other cities to join in) to overturn state law 790.33 (law prohibits cities from passing local gun laws & violations include mandatory financial fines for the city officials) and finally, a resolution directed to the state & federal governments to enact age restrictions on gun sales, mandatory background checks and Red Flag laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area