Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Actually looking at the schools reveals how little segregation there is in those cities you mentioned. The west Pines/Springs schools actually have the most black students. The west Miramar schools don't have as many as east but still in the 15-20% range. You also have places like Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, etc that are mixed up.

GreatSchools.net

Do some searching, you would be pretty surprised. I have also always said that the lower income east half of the county is much more segregated...not like Detroit but there is segregation. Once you get into the lower income areas it becomes less "kum by yah" and there are more tensions. Still, proportionally a lot of the lower income areas are integrated too and that's actually kind of a bad thing because there is more tension in general when you are not living well...
Compelled>

The reason there are 20% black students is because they bus them in from other areas. They do this all around FL, it is state law. It is due to the segregated nature of South FL that they need this. They bus blacks in from other neighborhoods to make the schools racially diverse. There has been debate in recent years about doing away with this law due to the high costs of transportation it takes to bus kids further from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Compelled>

The reason there are 20% black students is because they bus them in from other areas. They do this all around FL, it is state law. It is due to the segregated nature of South FL that they need this. They bus blacks in from other neighborhoods to make the schools racially diverse. There has been debate in recent years about doing away with this law due to the high costs of transportation it takes to bus kids further from home.
These schools out west are also "critically overcrowded". They don't bus kids to overcrowded schools. Also, reading into the demographics of some of these zip codes will reveal demographics that match the neighborhood schools.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Keep in mind if you're hispanic that Cooper City and Davie have primarily caucasian populations, and Davie especially has a rebel flag mentality (esp in those inexpensive areas off of Davie Rd that compelled mentions above...)

I know this post is two years old and I do respect you fauve ... but you do know that many hispanics are in fact Caucasian ... as that is a race and not an ethnic group ... I am sorry its just that erroneous comments like that drive me and my Cuban American wife who is a natural blonde with green eyes .... "nuts" yes that drives us nuts . Non Hispanic whites do not have the market cornered on the Caucasian race ... sorry . Now back to Davie and Cooper City .... both nice areas with Davie having the more upscale communities and Cooper City the better schools and a more "small town " feel .

Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I know this post is two years old and I do respect you fauve ... but you do know that many hispanics are in fact Caucasian ... as that is a race and not an ethnic group ... I am sorry its just that erroneous comments like that drive me and my Cuban American wife who is a natural blonde with green eyes .... "nuts" yes that drives us nuts . Non Hispanic whites do not have the market cornered on the Caucasian race ... sorry . Now back to Davie and Cooper City .... both nice areas with Davie having the more upscale communities and Cooper City the better schools and a more "small town " feel .
My apologies. You're absolutely right. Hanging out on this site has schooled me to be exacting in my references of Anglo vs. Caucasian! (And this has to be the only non-sarcastic use of this emoticon on C-D Ive ever seen - I am truly smacking my forehead!)

Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
These schools out west are also "critically overcrowded". They don't bus kids to overcrowded schools. Also, reading into the demographics of some of these zip codes will reveal demographics that match the neighborhood schools.
Compelled>

All schools in FL are overcrowded, not just West Broward schools. The same story up in Palm Beach County, Martin County, St. Lucie County, and others. I can tell you from first hand experience that is what they're doing. I'm not saying all black students are bussed in, but I'm willing to bet a good chunk. It has to do with legally mandated zoning laws that date back to desegregation in the 70's.

FL was the last state to desegregate the schools (1974 I believe). When they did so, they were facing a mess if they didn't re-zone the bussing districts. Also, the new laws put in place forced the counties to diversify the student bodies. I think they put in quotas that each school had to have a certain % of black students.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM

All schools are not over-crowded and there is no bussing for integration in Broward that Im aware of. The schools are integrated in Broward (especially in the east) through magnet programs. The magnet programs are placed in schools which are under-enrolled.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
All schools are not over-crowded and there is no bussing for integration in Broward that Im aware of. The schools are integrated in Broward (especially in the east) through magnet programs. The magnet programs are placed in schools which are under-enrolled.
The bussing is State law and has been going on for years. Broward is no exception. It may appear to you that there is no bussing, because you are accustomed to the zones how they are set up. Also, Broward has changed a lot since the 70's do to population growth. So the zones may have changed over the years. I'm willing to bet that since most of the residents who moved to Coral Springs, Weston, and Pembroke Pines over the years are white middle-class, that they had to do some bussing from out of district to diversify the student body.

As far as over-crowding, that is a separate issue and is a problem all around the state, not just in Broward County. If you don't believe me, drive up to Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Many of the high schools have a bunch of trailers set up on the property as classrooms because they cannot hold all of the students. I went through this growing up in the school system up there.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

There were a ton of schools built in the last decade, especially out west. Where schools like Cypress Bay & Flanagan were once very over-crowded and portables needed at many schools, it's now much less so. Population of below 18 yr olders will be dropping off steeply in the next decade after reaching a peak of high school graduates with the class of 2010.

As for busing for integration - it is no the longer law in Broward: http://books.google.com/books?id=C-9...ration&f=false

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
My apologies. You're absolutely right. Hanging out on this site has schooled me to be exacting in my references of Anglo vs. Caucasian! (And this has to be the only non-sarcastic use of this emoticon on C-D Ive ever seen - I am truly smacking my forehead!)

No problem ... you are forgiven .... I was not sure I wanted to post that .... but it drives my wife nuts and if I had not responded she would have been on my case !!!

Thanks

Rock

Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Fuave>

The overcrowding problem and the bussing minorities in from other areas are 2 seperate issues. It doesn't matter whether kids are bussed in or not, there are still going to be the same overall number of students in Broward schools. The difference is that the schools are more racially diverse due to the bussing.

What they did was re-zone some of the "black" neighborhoods, so that one section of that neighborhood goes to Flanigan, another section goes to Cypress Bay, and so on. You can check out any school in South FL, particularly Palm Beach County, Martin, and St. Lucie schools and you will notice that 9 out of 10 schools are right about 20% black. Is that a coincidence?

Again, there are state laws that mandate this. It is to prevent there from being all white schools. That was a big concern back in the day. That predominantly white areas would zone-out the blacks from attending their schools despite the new de-segregation laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area