Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,395 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Looking to buy a house in Weston or Cooper City.
If Cooper City, looking at buying in Monterra community.
Can you give me advice on Weston vs Cooper City schools? I know both are A rated and I know about the details to the exact test scores but which one would you prefer?
Also, part of Sunrise has Weston schools. Would that be ok to live there and send kids to Weston schools or can the school boundaries change any time in future?
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM

351 posts, read 460,799 times
Cooper City will never have the Weston's feel. Monterra is a nice community, but I personally don't like it - way too cookie cutter for my taste. Weston's schools in my opinion are better than those in Cooper City - one example is that all elementary schools in Weston participate in the Dual Language program, whereas none of the Cooper City's schools are part of it.
Part of Sunrise goes to Weston's to a few elementary schools in Weston and to Tequesta Trace Middle School, but they don't go to Cypress Bay High School. And yes, the boundaries can change at any time, so if you're thinking of buying in Sunrise that's a benefit that you may lose at any time.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:24 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
People typically don't buy in Cooper City for the usual suburban FL homes like what is seen in Weston, rather the older build homes on larger lots and less development/quieter living. Outside of a few neighborhoods a good bit of Cooper City is like the latter. The Dual Language program in Weston is more out of necessity as around 50% of residents in Weston are Hispanic, while Cooper City is around 25%. Cooper City schools have been "A" rated for quite some time so would bear that in mind too.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
Cooper City will never have the Weston's feel. Monterra is a nice community, but I personally don't like it - way too cookie cutter for my taste. Weston's schools in my opinion are better than those in Cooper City - one example is that all elementary schools in Weston participate in the Dual Language program, whereas none of the Cooper City's schools are part of it.
Part of Sunrise goes to Weston's to a few elementary schools in Weston and to Tequesta Trace Middle School, but they don't go to Cypress Bay High School. And yes, the boundaries can change at any time, so if you're thinking of buying in Sunrise that's a benefit that you may lose at any time.

This is rich. Lambasting Monterra for being too cookie cutter while promoting Weston, which is the MOST COOKIE CUTTER COMMUNITY EVER!

OP-The part of Sunrise that goes to Weston schools is lovely. School boundaries can change no matter where you live (Sunrise, Cooper City or Weston). Cooper City is also nice. Buy what you like.

I lived in Weston for 10 years. It was fine. We moved to Plantation because our kids were at American Heritage. We like Plantation because of its central location but high schools are a problem here.

Consider where you will be working when you choose a place to live. Although everything in Broward is pretty close, rush hour traffic can be a pain. I would worry more about location for commuting rather than schools. Schools are not great anywhere in Broward. Cooper City and Weston are at the top of the heap though and should be equivalent.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
For commuting IMO Weston is better, since that's where the express lanes start.

You can't jump on the express lanes from Cooper City or most of Plantation.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM

84 posts, read 84,451 times
I've lived in Cooper City (Embassy Lakes) for more than 24 years. Our kids went to the schools here from elementary through high school. The schools were excellent when we moved in and still share that ranking.

As a former school administrator, educator, and parent, I would not hesitate considering a move into this area. The schools I'm mentioning are: Embassy Lakes Elem., Pioneer Middle School, and Cooper City High School.

We'll soon be moving to a new home for our retirement and if I'm asked about the schools by potential buyers, I can honestly tell them living in Cooper City is a wonderful decision.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Cooper City is a nice place to live. I lived there for 10 years with no regrets. I like the ability to access I75 or I595 quickly. I chose to be closer to 75 as I was working at that time and it was faster to get to Dade County.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
I’m a University professor from Connecticut so moving to Florida was traumatic to begin with. That said, Cooper City is safe (I live in Rock Creek, 10 years now) pretty, convenient, and the schools are VERY good. My oldest child now goes to Columbia University with a full scholarship and his friends are at MIT, Brown, Williams and Wellesley. So if you’re worried about the schools here....don’t be.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblodnieks314 View Post
I’m a University professor from Connecticut so moving to Florida was traumatic to begin with. That said, Cooper City is safe (I live in Rock Creek, 10 years now) pretty, convenient, and the schools are VERY good. My oldest child now goes to Columbia University with a full scholarship and his friends are at MIT, Brown, Williams and Wellesley. So if you’re worried about the schools here....don’t be.
But why was it traumatic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area