Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 25,935 times

Advertisements

I live in Heron Bay and have noticed for about the past couple of weeks, when out for a walk, I have seen several snakes. mostly water moccasins. Up to this point, I have had 3 sightings of moccasins in two weeks, they have not been aggressive, you just see them crossing the road, one we saw coiled up under a tree. I am in no way saying the place is overrun with snakes, I am sure this is due to the recent heavy rainfall, they are looking for higher ground. I have seen them mostly on Heron bay blvd by the glades (who would have thought, right?). Its a normal part of the landscape here. We are parked right on the edge of one of the biggest nature preserves in the country. Its a fantastic facet of living here. And there is never a problem. This morning was a bit different. We were taking the garbage out when a small moccasin jumped out at my wife from some shrubs, literally right at the base of the stairs to our condo, it was an adolescent but aggressive. I killed it later, as it had coiled up at the foot of our stairs and seemed to be nesting there. I would NEVER kill a snake as for the most part they are good to have around, but in this case felt it necessary, as there are small children around and our neighbors just had a baby last week, so this snake was not in a good spot, and seeing how aggressive it had been, it had to go. Very disturbing experience. I should note that my back yard is literally the Everglades, a small fence, a canal and then around 80 miles of swamp. Its beautiful, we have fantastic sunsets, lots of amazing birds, I love the place and am not complaining, and this is not something that ever happened before. At any rate I wanted to warn my neighbors here to be alert as they seem to be around and about right now. I have lived here about 9 months and never saw any snakes before this week, I am sure its due to the rain. Do not kill them if you can avoid it. Most snakes will run before choosing to attack. There are also a few local businesses that specialize in trapping/removing snakes without killing them. I guess its the price you pay for living this close to the glades. At any rate its a nice community and I think this will stop when the rain lets up. But I wanted to warn people, if you are out for a walk with your dog, etc., be alert. I would also like to encourage people to post if you are seeing this also.

Snake sightings in Parkland-parkland-moccasin.jpg

Last edited by Chuck in Ft Lauderdale; 07-21-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Wow, that's a nice looking pic! You really nailed him! I had a similar thing happen with a Coral Snake once. Had to kill it since it was venomous and I didn't want to risk trying to catch it or shoe it out. Snakes are a part of FL and those Cottonmouths tend to be prevalent during heavy rains as you described. This is all over FL, not just Parkland.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM

143 posts, read 415,842 times
Wow been in HB 3 years & have not seen one. I will be on the lookout we live on the "other side" of Heron Bay North & were away so we missed a lot of the rain. Thanks for the heads up. So many kids go barefoot in the grass with the heat not a good idea!!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
It happens.......but not sure that is a cottonmouth and being that it was about 9 inches long not sure how aggressive it could have been.

As far as Coral Snakes in the other post, you do realize they do not have fangs to inject venom as the others do so in order to "bite" they essentially have to gnaw on you to inject venom making the bites extremely rare. Their shared color pattern with the non-venomous King Snake also creates confusion as well.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:57 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It happens.......but not sure that is a cottonmouth and being that it was about 9 inches long not sure how aggressive it could have been.

As far as Coral Snakes in the other post, you do realize they do not have fangs to inject venom as the others do so in order to "bite" they essentially have to gnaw on you to inject venom making the bites extremely rare. Their shared color pattern with the non-venomous King Snake also creates confusion as well.
The snake in his pic is certainly a Cottonmouth. Even a youngster is quite dangerous. And yes I am aware that Coral snakes are non-aggressive, but they will still bite you if you accidentally step on one barefoot. They are also more lethal than a Cottonmouth in terms of the potency of their poison.

BTW I know my snakes very well. Mistaking a King Snake for a Coral Snake is rookie stuff.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:39 AM

154 posts, read 388,521 times
when you live in Heron Bay look at that big hill in your back yard, the berm,mountain ,wall its a **** holding back the swamp we call the everglades , its total insanity building communities in areas like this but oh well you build it they will come! and yes wild life is normal, should see I cant post file too large? of the gator in our pool a tenant found property in Parkland last year, made the news!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 AM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
I used to work in western Parkland when it was all farms, rock pits and nurseries. All the rock roads were elevated above the fields and when it would rain incessantly, as it is wont to do, the roads were littered with snakes. It is not exaggerating to say that every 100 sq feet of road had a snake on it. You could not drive the road without killing dozens or even hundreds of snakes. I did not care to get out of the truck to ID them or shoo them away.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,851 times
Has anyone seen any non-native snakes including pythons in Parkland/Heron Bay/Coral Springs?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:55 PM

196 posts, read 158,931 times
Invasive reptiles are commonplace throughout the entirety of Florida, particularly in South Florida. Given Parkland borders the Everglades, sightings and incidents involving large invasive snakes, like Burmese Pythons, for example, are extremely common in that area -- but they are everywhere in South Florida, having been sighted well inland. Efforts by the government and hunters to control the population have largely failed, and Burmese Pythons continue to reproduce like wildfire in South Florida. Currently, the government estimates that there are minimally 300,000 feral Burmese pythons living in South Florida, but the actual number may be above 500,000 individuals.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
Invasive reptiles are commonplace throughout the entirety of Florida, particularly in South Florida. Given Parkland borders the Everglades, sightings and incidents involving large invasive snakes, like Burmese Pythons, for example, are extremely common in that area -- but they are everywhere in South Florida, having been sighted well inland. Efforts by the government and hunters to control the population have largely failed, and Burmese Pythons continue to reproduce like wildfire in South Florida. Currently, the government estimates that there are minimally 300,000 feral Burmese pythons living in South Florida, but the actual number may be above 500,000 individuals.
got any links to support your speculations of 300,000-500,000 pythons?

USGS states tens of thousands in their guesstimate:
https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9785/3262
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area