Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:28 PM

142 posts, read 130,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
We didn't have to wait too long for the answer to this:
Still have absolutely no idea what you're alluding to. Why don't you spell it out and stop being so cryptic?

You're saying I don't listen to advice? What "advice" did this guy give me? To move back to Missouri? Do you consider that advice? Yes, you're right. I'm going to dismiss ridiculous response, when I've iterated more than enough times how much I enjoy South Florida, my job, and the entire move on the whole. "Advice" telling me to move back to Missouri when I'm asking a specific question about Broward living is of COURSE going to be dismissed by me.

Notice that I listened to plenty of other helpful responses. That was not one of them. It was coming from a guy who is triggered for whatever reason by what I am saying about a 75% Latin demographic vs a 45% one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,774,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Still have absolutely no idea what you're alluding to. Why don't you spell it out and stop being so cryptic?

You're saying I don't listen to advice? What "advice" did this guy give me? To move back to Missouri? Do you consider that advice? Yes, you're right. I'm going to dismiss ridiculous response, when I've iterated more than enough times how much I enjoy South Florida, my job, and the entire move on the whole. "Advice" telling me to move back to Missouri when I'm asking a specific question about Broward living is of COURSE going to be dismissed by me.

Notice that I listened to plenty of other helpful responses. That was not one of them. It was coming from a guy who is triggered for whatever reason by what I am saying about a 75% Latin demographic vs a 45% one.
OK, I will stop being cryptic.

You started a few threads on the Miami section asking for advice but ultimately poo-poo-ed a lot of reasonable suggestions, with "I know better" attitude.

At least that's how I saw it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
OK, I will stop being cryptic.

You started a few threads on the Miami section asking for advice but ultimately poo-poo-ed a lot of reasonable suggestions, with "I know better" attitude.

At least that's how I saw it.
Yea you're right. When I moved here last year I started some threads with suggestions on where to live, got some good ones, but also got a lot of response saying "your commute will be over an hour if you live there". To which I repeatedly said, well, I take that route every single day and my commute is 37 minutes, so I'm unsure why it kept repeatedly coming up in responses. I also got a lot of responses regarding costs of some things that were also incorrect based on what I knew for a fact I was paying.

The only suggestions or comments I poo-poo'd were ones where people kept telling ME my own reality. Just like in this thread. Some guy is telling me that I'll only be happy if I move back to Missouri. Where in the world did I suggest that I was unhappy here? I chose to live in Bal Harbour, and while I love it, it's not a forever option as I want a house with a yard, and I can't reasonably afford land in this area. So, I've decided to look for my forever home, and yes, I've decided that I feel more comfortable in certain areas of South Florida than others. I work in Hialeah/Miami Lakes, and no, I don't want to live in that area. The demographic is TOO heavily populated Latin. So I simply asked for suggestions of areas probably more north in Broward that are relatively affordable options, and could offer a more diverse population (i.e. Maybe a 50/50 Latin/White as opposed to basically living in Cuba).

I get a ton of great answers, but then comes the same thing as the other threads ... where here it wasn't telling me about traffic or housing costs, but rather telling me that I need to move back to Missouri in order to find happiness lol. How exactly else would a reasonable person respond to that, other than what I did, which was to say hey ya know what I'm here looking for some sound advice from people who know the safe areas, the good schools, within the price range I'm looking for, and so on and so forth, and instead I'm getting someone telling me that it's impossible to find a white person in South Florida, so I need to move back to the middle of the country. It's untrue, it's annoying, and the only reason it's happening is because the guy probably views me as a racist due to the nature of my advice request, honestly. (Which I am not ... I'm just looking for my forever home. I know myself, and I know that I would, with certainty, feel more comfortable in a Coral Springs or a Sunrise vs a Hialeah or an Opa Locka, so forgive me). And to tell me that the entire region of South Florida is one way, and that I should just move back to Missouri in order to meet my needs, is both entirely untrue (I've been here long enough to know that's completely false. Yes, if the entire metro area was a giant Hialeah, then sure. But it's not. Not even close), and also obviously not very helpful at all.

So, you're damn right I poo-poo'd it. It's annoying to see that a thread got a response, and log in to read it in hopes that it's a "heyyyy MidwestBlondie, east of 95 is a no-go. You will pay up in areas like Parkland..." etc (which are greatly helpful guys, thank you!), and instead see, "Just move back to Missouri wtf are you even doing in Florida".

Perhaps maybe that explains my POV a little better. Why are people on these threads so unbelievably nasty? It's worth it to me to sift through, because I've already gotten great advice as well as hooked up with a great realtor on here. But my god. The negativity and uncalled for nastiness is just insane.

Last edited by MidwestBlondie; 05-01-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,897 times
If you love Bal Harbour and the beaches, there are some single family home options really close by on Normandy Isle, Surfside, and North Bay Village in the $400k-$500k range.

Here's a decent one.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/15_zm/

Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
If you love Bal Harbour and the beaches, there are some single family home options really close by on Normandy Isle, Surfside, and North Bay Village in the $400k-$500k range.

Here's a decent one.

Thank you! A little out of my price range but great to know these types of properties exist around here! I'm wondering if it's a good idea to ever buy a property in a storm surge prone area though. Any thoughts?

That house is gorgeous though. Awesome backyard too. You actually picked something that would be exactly the type of little house that I am looking for. Love the style.

Ugh. Now I wanna live in that exact house lol

Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

Here's a decent one.

Great looking property indeed.

And there is enough room for a pool in the back!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,897 times
Quote:
Thank you! A little out of my price range but great to know these types of properties exist around here! I'm wondering if it's a good idea to ever buy a property in a storm surge prone area though. Any thoughts?

That house is gorgeous though. Awesome backyard too. You actually picked something that would be exactly the type of little house that I am looking for. Love the style.

Ugh. Now I wanna live in that exact house lol
They did a really great job with the renovation. If you type in the address in Google street view, you can see what the home looked like before. I'm impressed.

You'll need to contact a realtor and find out the base area flood elevation for the property. That will determine your flood insurance cost. It's not directly on the water so that helps a lot but I don't know if that particular location has a history of flooding. The bones of the building (built in 39) are very good. And it's still there after 80 years of storms. They really built strong houses back then and the new hurricane Windows and roof make this a tank for a wind event.

Normandy isle and north beach is a gentrifying area. It was kind of the red headed step child of Miami beach 20 years ago but now there are homes selling for millions on the water just a couple blocks from this house. It's an interesting opportunity and you have nothing to lose just exploring it if you think you love it.

There are also cheaper homes that require renovation in this area under $400k that require work. You are essentially purchasing a new house which is why the price is where it's at but I've seen much dumpier homes sell for much more.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Flood zone maps are publicly available

Flood Zone Maps - Miami-Dade County

Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
So basically I've been living in Miami (Bal Harbour), for about 10 months now. Will most likely be signing 1 more year in July at my current place, but within that year will be researching and looking into buying my permanent home, which I'd like to have in Broward.

Basically what I'm looking for (aside from actual house needs), is more diversity leaning towards a whiter population. Not to come off racist because I'm not, but for my neighborhood I don't particularly want to be getting me meds from "CVS y Mas" anymore. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and while I've been fine with it so far, when I buy property I'd like it to be in an area that I am more culturally familiar with.

My budget will probably be around $350-400k, just for information if that prices me out of certain areas. My office is in Miami Lakes, so no more than a 40 minute drive would be ideal.

Anyone have any suggestions of preliminary areas to target?
A little late to the conversation but I'm lacking in snarky/unhelpful information.

I think the Hollywood Hills area roughly west of Park Road (though also some areas east around Hollywood Plaza), north of Washington Street, east of 56th Street and south of Taft Street would be a great location for you with easy on/off access to I-95 at Hollywood Boulevard. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ga_crid/0_mmm/

Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times
If you don't like Hispanics or people speaking Spanish around you, and not to you, employees everywhere I've been in south Florida are at least bilingual, you should buy a home on East Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area