Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM

227 posts, read 247,345 times

Advertisements

Let me vent for a moment.

Is panhandling something that is common in most large cities? I moved from Weston a month ago, so downtown is still new for me. I’ve lived here for a couple years and I’m used to people begging for help at intersections. However, I lost my cool tonight.

I went to a Walmart in downtown FLL and I was approached by a man in an extremely uncomfortable way. I was minding my own business when out of nowhere comes this guy who gives me a huge hug and proceeds to kiss both of my hands. He then asked if I could buy him an item or two because he “just moved down to Florida and most of his items were still in transit.” I told him no, that I wasn’t going to buy him anything and questioned why he wasn’t asking other customers for help. He then got ticked off, said I wasn’t a good person/Christian, and walked away. I ended up telling management so they could follow him through the store.

When I bought my groceries and walked out to my car, ANOTHER person came up to me and asked for money. At that moment, I pretty much snapped at the man. Two men sitting in a truck next to my vehicle told me to be cautious, said I didn’t do anything wrong, and panhandling is a common thing.

With the way the world is today and how psychotic people can get, it’s scary to think what can happen if you tell someone no.

One thing I did learn is that I will never go back to that Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
I moved from Weston to Fort Lauderdale, near downtown - Flagler Village area, a couple of years ago. While the area is really very nice, the homeless are becoming an eye sore, and it seems that their numbers have increased over the last couple of years. They always ask for a dollar because they just need one more dollar to buy a bus ticket to "get outta here". And sometimes they are borderline harassing people with their begging.

I now live on the beach and jog to Las Olas Blvd in the evening, and there are a bunch of homeless there too, asking people to give them their left over bags, and some are quite harassing too.

And they stink.

I hope the city figures out what to do with them, since the city is trying to elevate its image.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:14 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
It's really bad especially by the library.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Let me vent for a moment.

Is panhandling something that is common in most large cities? I moved from Weston a month ago, so downtown is still new for me. I’ve lived here for a couple years and I’m used to people begging for help at intersections. However, I lost my cool tonight.

I went to a Walmart in downtown FLL and I was approached by a man in an extremely uncomfortable way. I was minding my own business when out of nowhere comes this guy who gives me a huge hug and proceeds to kiss both of my hands. He then asked if I could buy him an item or two because he “just moved down to Florida and most of his items were still in transit.” I told him no, that I wasn’t going to buy him anything and questioned why he wasn’t asking other customers for help. He then got ticked off, said I wasn’t a good person/Christian, and walked away. I ended up telling management so they could follow him through the store.

When I bought my groceries and walked out to my car, ANOTHER person came up to me and asked for money. At that moment, I pretty much snapped at the man. Two men sitting in a truck next to my vehicle told me to be cautious, said I didn’t do anything wrong, and panhandling is a common thing.

With the way the world is today and how psychotic people can get, it’s scary to think what can happen if you tell someone no.

One thing I did learn is that I will never go back to that Walmart.
If someone gives me a sob story and ask for money I tell them I broke too, I don't have a fancy car to walk to so it would be different but you can still be broke with a nice car.

and be careful, just don't respond or say sorry I don't carry cash or I can't buy you anything. Some people are psychotic so they would kill you if they think you are being mean or rude to them.

If I see someone ask for money as I go in a store I tell the manager to tell the to leave, a lot of times they know better and ask you when you are leaving.

When I lived in that area there were some that carried sings at the offramps of 1 95.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Does Miami have the same problem? Do the police even care about this issue?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
It worst in San Francisco

Old 05-09-2018, 04:19 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
Quote:
I think it is a 2nd amendment issue, so the police hands are tied.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Awful and out of control in downtown San Diego, and the city is using taxpayer money to build them places to stay. A citywide hepatitis A epidemic finally got the politicians' attention to this problem.

Very few in Miami—specifically, Brickell. Might run into 1-2 a day and there are “no panhandling” signs posted. Worse as you cross the bridge into downtown but not California bad.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-09-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
That Walmart is in a horrible location.

The homeless are mostly by the park by the bus station.

I know the homeless by name on Las Olas and give them food and money.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That Walmart is in a horrible location.

The homeless are mostly by the park by the bus station.

I know the homeless by name on Las Olas and give them food and money.
I don’t think I have ever been to a more sketchy Walmart than that one. I’m all for charity, but don’t you dare get in my personal space and kiss me. I was so disgusted.

I have come across some homeless people while shopping at stores along SE 17th. I offer them food, and you can see how appreciative they are. It’s sad to see so many. I always wonder who are the ones that are truly homeless, and not those who are acting. I may be ignorant, but aren’t there rescources to help them stay off the streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area