U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 12:10 PM

440 posts, read 357,510 times

Advertisements

One of the major newspapers in the area had a front page article on eating the invasive reptile species, the iguana. Seems that once it's cooked up, it's supposed to taste like chicken. They eat them a lot in the Caribbean, in Puerto Rico and in Mexico. They call them Tree Chickens since iguanas in those areas can be found in the trees but here they're usually just sunning themselves in yards and on sea walls.

Seems iguanas are very UNWANTED here as they burrow into the seawalls for hiding spots and this weakens the seawalls and is causing havoc when weakened seawalls are coupled with rising sea levels since the rivers and canals in this area are connected to the ocean and high tides have gone over some inland seawalls and flooded some yards and homes.

People here also hate the iguanas because they love to eat up people's favorite tropical flowers and plants. Used to be we got cold snaps that killed some of them off but now it's so regularly hot here, we haven't been getting much cold weather anymore. Such as today when I checked the temperature, it said on the Internet at 1pm that it was 88 degrees but it also stated that it felt like 93 degrees with the heat index of the humidity added in.

Funny that the report called it, "cooler" today. That's why the traffic is so bad here in Fort Lauderdale. Nobody wants to get out of an air conditioned car to ride a bike or walk somewhere except for tourists and some people who can't afford cars. Can't say I blame them if they're old or have to wear dress-up clothes to work that would be soaked with sweat if they tried to walk or bike to work. There's a lot of older people living in this area now as there isn't much for people in their 20's and 30's to do except go to the beach, drink and shop. It's not safe for really old people to be out in the heat here and risking heat stroke. One of the twenty something writers in an international Gay magazine said they'd probably only want to come back here as a tourist in about 30 years as the writer said that finding young Gay people living here was few and far between as it's mostly retirees who make up the majority in the Gay community in the Fort Lauderdale area. I wonder if any of those retirees are former chefs with some good recipes for iguana and Lion Fish?

If you fish or dive in the ocean, they say that the Lion Fish is really good to eat too as they don't eat just any old thing, they eat the small fry of the prime game fish here like tuna, grouper, snapper, etc. Guess they're causing quite the problem eating up the game fish young in this area.

It's said the Lion Fish, which are about taking over several areas of the reefs here, used to be someone's pets that someone got tired of so they dumped them in the ocean. Now they are all over the place from the Atlantic side of Florida, down into the Keys, up the Gulf side of Florida and up into the Panhandle area. You have to be careful with catching them and preparing them to eat though because they have a poison in their very sharp spines.

The now wild pythons and iguanas used to be pets too but they were let go on land, although both can swim so they can travel around fences and can come onto waterfront property quite easily here.

I haven't read anything about eating pythons but since the Fort Lauderdale area is now rated as the third most expensive area of the U.S. to live in because of the low wages in comparison to the expensive housing, if things are really tight for you these days, there's always iguana and Lion Fish to put on the table here to cut down on your grocery costs.

Last edited by HotandHumid; 07-03-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM

362 posts, read 348,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post

<snip>

I haven't read anything about eating pythons but since the Fort Lauderdale area is now rated as the third most expensive area of the U.S. to live in because of the low wages in comparison to the expensive housing, if things are really tight for you these days, there's always iguana and Lion Fish to put on the table here to cut down on your grocery costs.
There seems to be an ample supply of Burmese pythons but apparently their mercury levels are too high to safely consume.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-pythons-high-in-mercury

Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Default More Iguanas in the Parks than People

Now that the super hot and humid weather here starts earlier and ends later with heat indexes in the high 90s and low 100s for 6 months out of the year and sometimes more, plus the fact that there's been no significant cold snaps here in years to kill them off, I've seen more iguanas sitting in the grass and on walkways in the Fort Lauderdale area sunning themselves in the parks these days than people actually using the parks for recreational purposes. I don't think the majority of people here really spend much time outdoors.

The iguanas are vegetarians as adults and eat bugs as juveniles and are basically pretty harmless except to the tropical landscapes people have planted in their yards here that iguanas love to eat but you do have to watch for their tails as they have sharp spikes on them that can cut skin.

Since the Fort Lauderdale area doesn't really have much of anything left historically to look at since most of it has been torn down to make room for high rises and housing developments, maybe we could attract more tourists to spend money here and create some badly needed jobs since there's been such a rash of small businesses closing down by opening up some iguana amusement parks. I've seen some really huge ones that live next to the lake in the Lake Ridge neighborhood and they look like dinosaurs.

I always laugh it off these days when people tell me they moved here for the weather, which has become more suited for iguana life than human life. When it's too hot to use a park, when most people drive inside air conditioned vehicles instead of biking or walking, when frequent rainstorms often fall so hard that they flood the streets and sound like a firehose has been turned on your roof and if you like going through preparations for hurricane season every summer, then this place sure has the weather you'd like to move here for.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM

9,966 posts, read 8,859,565 times
My husband makes Lion Fish by soaking it in buttermilk and hot sauce, then deep frying it.

Deep fried Lion Fish is amazing but it is a pain in the ass to catch.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM

18,758 posts, read 55,889,829 times
No new threads on iguanas. Add to the existing one.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
There seems to be an ample supply of Burmese pythons but apparently their mercury levels are too high to safely consume.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-pythons-high-in-mercury
That's interesting as I saw python jerky advertised in a store window in the resort town of Saugatuck on Lake Michigan when I left the area to avoid Hurricane Dorian as it was headed here before it went north instead.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband makes Lion Fish by soaking it in buttermilk and hot sauce, then deep frying it.

Deep fried Lion Fish is amazing but it is a pain in the ass to catch.
I can imagine with all those spines on it. I read about where they have round-ups of Lion Fish in Florida with prizes given to whoever catches the most. They also have cooking classes at those round-ups to show people how to remove the spines.

I haven't tasted Lion Fish myself but I hear it's really good to eat as it preys on other game fish when they're young, which is one of the big reasons why it's not wanted in Florida coastal waters.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:26 PM

9,966 posts, read 8,859,565 times
Quote:
I can imagine with all those spines on it. I read about where they have round-ups of Lion Fish in Florida with prizes given to whoever catches the most. They also have cooking classes at those round-ups to show people how to remove the spines.
Spines? No.

The fish is filleted.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Default I Meant Spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Spines? No.

The fish is filleted.
I guess it's where you're from in the county according to what something is called. In the Midwest, when a fish has protruding spikes on them, we call them spines since most fish in the Midwest have these spikes on their spines.

Anyway, now that is clarified, the Lion Fish has long protruding spikes (spines) coming out of it's body that have toxins in them and so they can't be handled by hand easily and the spikes (spines) have to be removed before the fish can be consumed and most people do this before cooking the fish.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:34 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,546,317 times
Quote:
I guess it's where you're from in the county according to what something is called. In the Midwest, when a fish has protruding spikes on them, we call them spines since most fish in the Midwest have these spikes on their spines.

Anyway, now that is clarified, the Lion Fish has long protruding spikes (spines) coming out of it's body that have toxins in them and so they can't be handled by hand easily and the spikes (spines) have to be removed before the fish can be consumed and most people do this before cooking the fish.
The spikes have nothing to do with the fillets. You would remove them if cooking the fish whole. If you fillet the fish, it's irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area