Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times

Advertisements

The Goodwill on Oakland Park Boulevard is discontinuing giving out bags to their customers for their purchases. If you want to have your purchase put in a bag, you will be charged .99 cents plus tax for a Goodwill shopping bag.

These seems to me a bit of greed in practice as other stores that stop using plastic bags use paper bags as an alternative to bag their customer purchases.

People buying at Goodwill will be forced to either buy the Goodwill shopping bags or carry their purchases out of the store without bags.

The other thrift stores in the area are not following this practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 PM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
You could always bring your own cloth bag from home. I use cloth as they are easy to wash and dry.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I doubt it has anything to do with saving the planet. I work for a thrift store (not Goodwill, and not in FL), and those bags are expensive when every dollar counts. Have more money to serve the community, or let customers carry out their purchases, hmmm. Not really a tough choice, is it?

Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Never shopped there but the galleria mall gives you all the bags you want for free!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times
I guess it depends on if not giving out bags by Goodwill is really helping out providing more money for serving the community since Goodwill doesn't really provide any information to the community it has it's stores in where the money is going the it makes from selling donations. I know that some jobs are created at the stores but those are very low paying part time positions.

You can see where money made from donations to other thrift stores goes in this area as there is a food bank at Poverello, there is housing at Faith Farm for those trying to stop abusing drugs and alcohol, there are shelters on Broward Boulevard run by the Salvation Army, clothing is given out at the St. Vincent de Paul store to the needy, free HIV and STD testing and counseling is provided by Out of the Closet and that thrift shop on Powerline Road between Sunrise and Oakland Park Boulevards just north of the bridge on the right hand side provides free pet food to owners who can no longer afford to properly feed their pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area