Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM

148 posts, read 680,257 times

Advertisements

Can someone share insights and opinions about day camps for kids in Broward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 PM

22 posts, read 71,852 times
i worked at creative child learning center in plantation for over 2 years. in my opinion this is the BEST day care for newborn up to middle school aged kids. there is one in plantation on nobhill right by i-595 and one in weston right off of 75..they have after school care with bus pick-up as well as summer camp. VERY CLEAN! organized, drug testing is enforced for teachers/counselors, strict on employees, security cameras in all the rooms, great layout for the school.. the actually building is built around the playground.. very safe!! must have a thumb print to enter each side of the building. great place for your kids

Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
How old is the child and what do they like to do? Where in Broward? We are in west Broward and my kids attended American Heritage camp when they were in early elementary school. It was a nice camp. We don't go there anymore because camp was organized in sessions and you had to pay for the whole session. We prefer the week by week approach. The Weston Athletic Club has a nice camp and I hear good things about the West Broward Y and Sagemont camps (in Weston). Pinecrest School (in Fort Lauderdale) has a camp with a good reputation. There are tons of specialty camps, some run out of the county parks, others run out of private facilities. I am aware of the ones my kids or their friends have attended.

This summer my sons will be attending the camp at the Imagine Charter School for some weeks. They are 12, 9. My oldest (14) will be attending a wrestling camp at St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Fort Lauderdale. All three boys will be attending a lacrosse camp in Plantation. I think my oldest will go to a wrestling camp in North Florida at some point this summer.

There are so many camps it is hard to cover all of them. The Sun Sentinel has a good camp section.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks, Momma Bear. What have you heard about Eagles Landing camp at North Broward? It looks good for a 5 year old -- but like you said, you have to pay for several weeks$$$ - like you, I prefer one week at a time.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 43,489 times
Hi,

I hope it's ok to talk about a camp I work for - I saw that mrspowers had done so and I really love the camp I work for so hope nobody minds! I am a student of a martial arts school called Florida Aikikai, and our chief instructor Peter Bernath Sensei is an amazing teacher who has been teaching Aikido to kids for over 30 years. Aikido is known as 'The Martial Art of Peace' because it focuses on defending from attacks - and not instigating them! It's non-competitive and students learn through co-operation, particularly with older/senior kids taking on leadership roles to help younger/newer ones. IMHO it's a fantastic way for kids to gain confidence and the kind of inner strength and peace that stays with them in life.

Our summer camp runs all summer long from 9am -3 pm. We're located in Holiday Park at 730 N Federal Highway. www.HolidayParksMartialArts.com/summercamp.html (broken link)

Thank you!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Thanks, Artofpeace - how old do you think the kids should be to start this? I am thinking of signing my kids up for after-school sessions this fall -- they are 5.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
Thanks, Momma Bear. What have you heard about Eagles Landing camp at North Broward? It looks good for a 5 year old -- but like you said, you have to pay for several weeks$$$ - like you, I prefer one week at a time.
It's kind of far from my house so I don't know anyone who went there.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Default aikido summer camp

Hi Sharkey514,

The youngest kids we have are 4 years old, but most kids start at 5 or older. Particularly at that age the classes are fun and lively, focusing on games and exercises that develop rolling and tumbling, balance, concentration (the first time I saw the line of little kids lined up and sitting quietly in meditation listening to our 'singing bowl' it brought tears to my eyes!) etc. The kids learn so quickly at that age so I definitely think it's a good age to start.

Feel free to call or write if you have any questions. Good luck finding a great summer camp.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:17 PM

oops - forgot to add the #!

(954) 562-1093

Old 04-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Thanks - went to the web to learn more and it looks good. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area