Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 06:00 AM

2,102 posts, read 996,332 times

Advertisements

Having been retired for almost a decade now, I wanted to get out and do something productive again with my Fortune 25 financial and managerial background, but on a part-time basis.

So I am considering getting my license in real estate and starting with an established agent here in Fort Lauderdale. I know the area extremely well having lived here for five decades.

But I was told that any agent that takes me in is going to have me start at the bottom, give me the bottom-of-the-barrel properties, expect being on-call 24/7, putting in face time in the office, and meeting quotas. Far from working only as hard as you want.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,185,877 times
Do you have a book of clients as referrals? If you show yourself useful getting leads and making money, you can move up rapidly. Get a brokers license after 2 year
s and open your own business where you can set your own schedule and work as little or as much as possible and hire your own team and you manage which seems is what your experience is in.

But it's cutthroat and competitive commission sales business. Typically, those wanting to be part time or half ass things with work and commitment are not successful.

Maybe do part time consulting or sign up for a part time lecture circuit doing management training based on your previous work experience might be a lot more feasible. That's what retirees I've known that became bored did for extra income. They used their previous work experience.

Also, if you have a financial background, private wealth management and financial advisory may be a much better fit. People will like someone with your background when entrusting them with hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of their life savings to invest rather than a college kid off the street.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:08 AM

17,162 posts, read 21,830,506 times
I'd never want to be an agent......That being said, I think starting in a down market would get your business launched in time for the upswing. In a hot market everyone wants to be a realtor from your local waitress/bartender to the valet guy to the recent college grad struggling with a dead end first job which would make your start that much harder.

A good friend is a niche broker in a decent area, she has had a pretty good success and really nails the internet market for people looking to relocate. She is NOT a pushy saiesman, actually laid back but it works.

Among her crazy deals:

Selling a cheap condo 125K, buyer wanted to offer 75 (I think it sold to someone else for 118). She asked why would you think someone would entertain such a low offer? Answer: well that is what I want to spend......I laughed when she told the story to me. The low ball buyer ended up buying something in a different area for 77K then dumped 35K into it.....so they still spent the same money!

One of her best deals: She had someone looking in a waterfront neighborhood, not much inventory. She called a previous client and asked if they would consider selling...... THEY DID! Sold for just under 1.5mm and it was never actually listed! She discounted the commission but still got more than 3% for selling just one side of the deal.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Real estate is NOT a part time job. You are basically on call 24/7.

I've been an acting licensed realtor in Fort Lauderdale for the past five years.

Granted I'm able to take November and December off and summers are slow but some January-Easters I've worked seven days a week.

I love it and it doesn't feel like work but you have to treat it like a profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area