Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 12:28 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I think I get what your saying. I feel I'm pretty down to earth, but I'd probably fall into your classy better dressed crowd.

Got it, since I'm looking for a community at large it sounds like Weston would be a better fit.

From what I've seen the interior design of Weston has been my least favorite thing so I'd probably look at buying something below my budget and renovating.

Weston sounds up your alley. Just know that it's also much more Spanish speaking. I don't know if you speak Spanish or your comfort level, just something to know. Cooper City will be mostly English speaking with a hometown vibe, Weston is upscale Spanish with luxury cars everywhere. I LOVE Weston and Cooper City, to be clear. They are just quite a bit different.

I'm not a big fan of Monterra though. The location is too far from the highways and not in a generally good area. It's just brand new because there was an old cow farm there that held out for decades and finally sold out to developers. Everywhere around it is from the 70's. And again, not convenient to anything but what is directly near it. Even the turnpike has no entrances on Stirling or Sheridan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 PM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Weston sounds up your alley. Just know that it's also much more Spanish speaking. I don't know if you speak Spanish or your comfort level, just something to know. Cooper City will be mostly English speaking with a hometown vibe, Weston is upscale Spanish with luxury cars everywhere. I LOVE Weston and Cooper City, to be clear. They are just quite a bit different.
I think we touched on this in another thread. Part of the reason I'm considering moving from Miami is the schools and the fact that ones near me are 90%+ Hispanic. I'm all for diversity but down here they will make you feel like you're a burden if you don't speak Spanish. From what I gather from demographics the area seems to be around 50% Hispanic. I'm assuming at least a small percentage of the Hispanic population prefers English. So if 60% of the 70k people speak in English that would be a vast improvement from where I'm at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I'm not a big fan of Monterra though. The location is too far from the highways and not in a generally good area. It's just brand new because there was an old cow farm there that held out for decades and finally sold out to developers. Everywhere around it is from the 70's. And again, not convenient to anything but what is directly near it. Even the turnpike has no entrances on Stirling or Sheridan...
Yeah it is by itself a bit and not really large enough by itself to be its own community.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Savanna, Weston or The Ridges, Weston - both have really nice decorations for holidays. Savanna is the trick-o-treat center of Weston on Halloween.
These have been the two neighborhood that I have been looking at. Are there any pros/cons between the two of them?

Old 05-28-2019, 07:38 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
I think we touched on this in another thread. Part of the reason I'm considering moving from Miami is the schools and the fact that ones near me are 90%+ Hispanic. I'm all for diversity but down here they will make you feel like you're a burden if you don't speak Spanish. From what I gather from demographics the area seems to be around 50% Hispanic. I'm assuming at least a small percentage of the Hispanic population prefers English. So if 60% of the 70k people speak in English that would be a vast improvement from where I'm at.

Yeah it is by itself a bit and not really large enough by itself to be its own community.

Deep in Weston, to me, feels like Miami as far as Spanish goes. I went in to the T-Mobile store at Saddle Club and the retail customer service rep could not speak English. She had to go get someone to help me. If a business is comfortable enough to hire a customer facing worker who doesn't speak English... believe me, it's got to be 90% Spanish speaking!

It's not horrible or anything and most everyone does speak English in Weston. But it's not going to be a first language. Cooper City is going to be much, much more English speaking than Weston.

Go wander around the Publix and what not near Savannah. See what vibe you get. Might be totally fine for you.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
These have been the two neighborhood that I have been looking at. Are there any pros/cons between the two of them?
The Ridges is smaller and somewhat cozier.

Savanna is quite large.

The community pool is better in Savanna, it is actually a pool complex with four pools and a water slide. Plus mini-golf. And a big clubhouse too, with its own little convenience store and event rooms.

The community pool at the Ridges is still very nice.

Both Savanna and the Ridges have some overlapping house models.

The Ridges is very close to the schools.

The Ridges is on the South side of Weston - convenient to start your commute South (to Pembroke pines, to Miramar, to Miami Lakes, to Doral, to Kendal)

Savanna is on the North-West side of town - convenient to start your commute to Sunrise, to Coral Springs, to Parkland, to Boca.

Both are about equal in terms of commute to Fort Lauderdale, to Hollywood, to Aventura, to Sunny Isles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area