Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,898 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and two kids (2 & 5) will be relocating from Ohio to the Fort Lauderdale area in August and we're looking for some input on where to live with good schools and families. We have visited the area twice and have it narrowed down to Cooper City, Weston and Davie. Since we are moving down without knowing anyone, we would like a community neighborhood that has a community pool, sidewalks, city activities, etc.. so we can easily meet other young families.

I will be working out of the Port of Ft. Lauderdale and a few times a month, out of the Port of Miami, so Cooper City is slightly ahead of the others based on proximity to these areas as commuting times is a concern. Are there any neighborhoods in Cooper City people would recommend? We like Monterra, but find the lots smaller than we're used to and the taxes higher than other areas. We're looking for at least 4 BR, 3 BA between $575-700K.

Thank you for any input you can provide about these areas and possibly clarify what we've heard/rumors about specific areas, i.e. that Weston is "Weston-zuela." We are not native Spanish speakers and wondering if this would limit us from feeling part of the community.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes would be your best bet in Cooper City. There is no reason to spend $700k on a house for a 4 bedroom. Is there a reason you want a community pool? You can get a very nice 4 bedroom house in these neighborhoods with a pool at the bottom of your budget (even less than $575k). If you are looking for a nice, family neighborhood that isn't almost completely Spanish speaking, then nothing comes close to those two in Cooper City. Much cheaper than Weston, more down to earth, get more house for your money, too. If you are using a daycare, both Embassy and Rock Creek have excellent day cares right in the neighborhood.

Rock Creek only has a $40 or so monthly HOA as well and it's a phenomenal family neighborhood. You could buy something on the lake, which is one of the only real lakes around. You can have a dock, boat, swim, etc. Plus the walking path, parks, and there is a the community/city pool area with a splash pad right in the community. The elementary - Embassy Creek is also one of the best elementary schools in the area. For what you are looking for, it seems a no brainer. The traffic down Flamingo Rd to 595, which goes straight in to the port is also another win.

You could also view some houses in the Flamingo Gardens neighborhood (across the street from Rock Creek) - there are parks and what not. They are a bit cheaper, no HOA, and you can still get a great house in a great neighborhood.

For your budget, I don't see any reason to be at the top of it or anywhere near that.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk55113 View Post
Hello,

My wife and two kids (2 & 5) will be relocating from Ohio to the Fort Lauderdale area in August and we're looking for some input on where to live with good schools and families. We have visited the area twice and have it narrowed down to Cooper City, Weston and Davie. Since we are moving down without knowing anyone, we would like a community neighborhood that has a community pool, sidewalks, city activities, etc.. so we can easily meet other young families.

I will be working out of the Port of Ft. Lauderdale and a few times a month, out of the Port of Miami, so Cooper City is slightly ahead of the others based on proximity to these areas as commuting times is a concern. Are there any neighborhoods in Cooper City people would recommend? We like Monterra, but find the lots smaller than we're used to and the taxes higher than other areas. We're looking for at least 4 BR, 3 BA between $575-700K.

Thank you for any input you can provide about these areas and possibly clarify what we've heard/rumors about specific areas, i.e. that Weston is "Weston-zuela." We are not native Spanish speakers and wondering if this would limit us from feeling part of the community.

Thanks in advance!

I lived in Weston for 16 years and don't know Spanish, and never had any issues because of that.

Check out Embassy Lakes in Cooper City. It is quite nice. But it is older.

If you only have to go to Miami a few times a month, maybe Weston is still a better choice.

Consider this - from Cooper City, you will spend some time on local streets before you get to the highway.

From Weston, you get on a highway quite quickly and jump right into the express lanes.

IMO Weston has the hometown feeling like no other town.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 AM

415 posts, read 650,468 times
I'd be curious to get any other insights on this issue. I'm thinking of moving from Miami and have been researching Weston. The main things I'm looking for are schools, community and nice homes.

From a cursory review Cooper City seems to have nice schools and decent homes. Can anyone speak to the community differences between the two? We currently have a newborn and a 2 year old and with out family down here were looking for a community that is a bit more active.

Thanks,

Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I'd be curious to get any other insights on this issue. I'm thinking of moving from Miami and have been researching Weston. The main things I'm looking for are schools, community and nice homes.

From a cursory review Cooper City seems to have nice schools and decent homes. Can anyone speak to the community differences between the two? We currently have a newborn and a 2 year old and with out family down here were looking for a community that is a bit more active.

Thanks,
Weston is much more Spanish speaking. Cooper City is more down to earth. Weston is more manicured, curbs on all the roads, things like that. Cooper City is a little more low key and older. Schools are pretty much equal. Cooper City is less expensive. Both have a lot of community stuff and activities. Both have great parks with a lot of recreation opportunities. Cooper City does all sorts of parades and community festival type stuff too.

Neither is better than the other or really all that much different. You would really need to spend time driving the neighborhoods. Compare commute. Price. Things like that. Both have nice homes. Weston will generally be newer (unless looking at Monterra in Cooper) but you'll get less for more money in Weston.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 PM

For me it's not really a matter of being better but more finding the place that fits my needs. "Down to earth" is subjective so I'm not sure the criteria you are using. Remember I'm coming from Miami where to most people both these locations are just boring suburbia, so I assume they're both down to earth in comparison. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm willing to give up on cooler things in Miami (and deal with the drive) to have a better family life.

With that being said I'm interested in the community stuff and activities you mentioned. Are either a place where people really get to know their neighbors. Do kids actually play in the neighborhoods. Do people decorate their houses for holidays, trick or treating, etc.

I don't have an issue with price. My budget it probably $700k - $850k but could go higher or lower and renovate, again community is more important. Personally I like the overall manicured look of Weston better as a whole but prefer the look of the houses in Monterra the best. And for personal reasons I would be looking for a house over 3,000 sf which seems to also push toward Weston or Monterra.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Savanna, Weston or The Ridges, Weston - both have really nice decorations for holidays. Savanna is the trick-o-treat center of Weston on Halloween.

Yes, kids play together in the neighborhoods.

Weston Hills is very nice too, more luxurious, a little more grown up, but still plenty of families with kids.

The Isles at Weston is another nice community.

Monterra is quite a bit newer construction than anything in Weston (not counting Botanico Weston), so it has more modern designs/features. Monterra is a bit more flat and sparse.

Most everything in Weston has berms and swales and curved streets lined with lush green grass and trees.

Weston is more uniform and cohesive all around, it was built based on one master plan.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 17,313 times
All are great, family friendly areas...something to be aware of...Monterra taxes (and other communities) have higher taxes because they are in “Special Taxing Districts”. Won’t bore you with the details but it’s essentially an additional Mill Levy added to the regular tax bill that goes towards the repayment of the community infrastructure - ie, water & sewer. It’s a way for developers to amortize the development costs across the homes over time instead of paying for them directly (through the sale of 30 year bonds).

Do your research on whether or not a home is in a Special Taxing District as yes, they do result in higher property taxes on a home.

Briefly back to Monterra - not sure if you’ve seen it in person or just online but be very conscious of the exact home/lot location as a significant portion of the community is VERY close to major electrical transmission lines.

Unfortunately, as Florida is a 0 income tax state, property taxes tend to be higher than in a lot of other areas in the country.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
For me it's not really a matter of being better but more finding the place that fits my needs. "Down to earth" is subjective so I'm not sure the criteria you are using. Remember I'm coming from Miami where to most people both these locations are just boring suburbia, so I assume they're both down to earth in comparison. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm willing to give up on cooler things in Miami (and deal with the drive) to have a better family life.

With that being said I'm interested in the community stuff and activities you mentioned. Are either a place where people really get to know their neighbors. Do kids actually play in the neighborhoods. Do people decorate their houses for holidays, trick or treating, etc.

I don't have an issue with price. My budget it probably $700k - $850k but could go higher or lower and renovate, again community is more important. Personally I like the overall manicured look of Weston better as a whole but prefer the look of the houses in Monterra the best. And for personal reasons I would be looking for a house over 3,000 sf which seems to also push toward Weston or Monterra.
It seems Weston is a better fit for you. When I say down to earth, I mean Weston residents tend to be a little more stuffy "classy", better dressed, that kind of thing. Not a bad thing, but the older parts or Cooper City (NOT Monterra) is going to be a little less stylish/modern which includes the people. Sorry, I don't know how else to explain it. Neither is better than the other, just different.

I'm not a fan of Monterra. I'd take Weston over Monterra, mostly because of location. All of Weston is like Monterra, where Monterra itself is it's own little thing in a relatively older area..

If spending $850k, you may also want to look at west Davie like Riverstone, Imagination Farms, Highland Ranches. However, that community, close knit feel is notably absent in these communities. The more dense Weston neighborhoods might be more to your liking.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
It seems Weston is a better fit for you. When I say down to earth, I mean Weston residents tend to be a little more stuffy "classy", better dressed, that kind of thing. Not a bad thing, but the older parts or Cooper City (NOT Monterra) is going to be a little less stylish/modern which includes the people. Sorry, I don't know how else to explain it. Neither is better than the other, just different.
I think I get what your saying. I feel I'm pretty down to earth, but I'd probably fall into your classy better dressed crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I'm not a fan of Monterra. I'd take Weston over Monterra, mostly because of location. All of Weston is like Monterra, where Monterra itself is it's own little thing in a relatively older area.

If spending $850k, you may also want to look at west Davie like Riverstone, Imagination Farms, Highland Ranches. However, that community, close knit feel is notably absent in these communities. The more dense Weston neighborhoods might be more to your liking.
Got it, since I'm looking for a community at large it sounds like Weston would be a better fit.

From what I've seen the interior design of Weston has been my least favorite thing so I'd probably look at buying something below my budget and renovating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area