Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 PM

72 posts, read 64,556 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I will be relocating to the area in the next month or two. We are re-locating from Tampa for work. We are a couple in our early 30s, males, young professionals. My spouse will be working in Pembroke Pines (corner Flaming and Pines blvd.) 7am to 5pm. I don't have a job yet, but I can find work rather easily in my field. Not too sure on which area to move to. We are looking for an area that has a bit more of a ''younger'' crowd. Bars, restaurants, events, etc.. Closer to the coast is preferable, but has me worried considering the commute to and from work with his job being so far out west. Any advice? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,618,833 times
A young gay couple? Bars, restaurants, etc.? Near the coast? Wilton Manors (and near it) is the only place you should be considering. Your spouse won't mind the commute, and he will be going opposite of traffic so it shouldn't be that bad at all.

If you want to be around like minded people, it's Wilton. You'll consider it paradise.

https://www.wiltonmanors.com/290/LGB...-Wilton-Manors

Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 PM

72 posts, read 64,556 times
We are very familiar with Wilton Manors. I know that it feels like the obvious choice... but we don’t feel it necessary to live right in the middle of it either. Which surrounding areas would you suggest that we look into (perimeters)? I know Oakland Park has its good and bad parts... We can do small house or condo. We were thinking 2000$ a month or so for 2br. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2019, 09:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,803,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrages View Post
My spouse and I will be relocating to the area in the next month or two. We are re-locating from Tampa for work. We are a couple in our early 30s, males, young professionals. My spouse will be working in Pembroke Pines (corner Flaming and Pines blvd.) 7am to 5pm. I don't have a job yet, but I can find work rather easily in my field. Not too sure on which area to move to. We are looking for an area that has a bit more of a ''younger'' crowd. Bars, restaurants, events, etc.. Closer to the coast is preferable, but has me worried considering the commute to and from work with his job being so far out west. Any advice? TIA.
Flagler Village, lots going on, lots of young(er) people, walk or Lime everywhere.

Maybe Hollywood too. Seems like it's getting its stuff in order, and probably the commute will be more tolerable (taking Pines all the way to Flamingo, or Sheridan).

Old 06-21-2019, 04:48 AM

7,968 posts, read 4,624,828 times
Quote:
We are very familiar with Wilton Manors. I know that it feels like the obvious choice... but we don’t feel it necessary to live right in the middle of it either. Which surrounding areas would you suggest that we look into (perimeters)? I know Oakland Park has its good and bad parts... We can do small house or condo. We were thinking 2000$ a month or so for 2br. Thanks!
How about Las Olas? We have a house in WM, but only because we rent it out in the summer and the area has a lucrative summer rental market. If it weren't for wanting the summer rental income we'd be in Las Olas. Not sure about any objection you might have to WM, but there are improvements happening with Wilton Drive that should make the city much more attractive to businesses other than bars & massage parlors. More like Las Olas.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:58 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,618,833 times
Quote:
Check out Victoria Park. That's another area where several of our gay friends live. It's close to Wilton but not "in" Wilton, and they moved there for that reason.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,419,261 times
Quote:
has me worried considering the commute to and from work with his job being so far out west.
You're smart in realizing that's a huge consideration.

Have you driven around his new work location and scouted areas out yet?

Depending on one's tolerance for getting stuck in traffic during rush hour... I strongly suggest keeping the work commute reasonable.

What's more important to you? Being close to beaches or the work commute?

Old 06-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Check out Victoria Park. That's another area where several of our gay friends live. It's close to Wilton but not "in" Wilton, and they moved there for that reason.
I would second this. We have friends who like Victoria Park for the exact same reason. However, it may not be in the budget.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I would second this. We have friends who like Victoria Park for the exact same reason. However, it may not be in the budget.

I have friends that chose Poinsettia Heights and they are very happy with it and it is a safe area.

Also, I love Wilton so far. You don't feel like you are right in the middle of a gay hood tbh. Right across the street are two straight families. It feels like everywhere else in S. Florida by the look of the streets, etc except it is rather expensive and getting more so. That is why I jumped in now instead of waiting two years till I retire.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have friends that chose Poinsettia Heights and they are very happy with it and it is a safe area.

Also, I love Wilton so far. You don't feel like you are right in the middle of a gay hood tbh. Right across the street are two straight families. It feels like everywhere else in S. Florida by the look of the streets, etc except it is rather expensive and getting more so. That is why I jumped in now instead of waiting two years till I retire.
We chose a small house less than a block off the Drive for summer rental purposes. Tourist renters want be a short walk to the "amenities" on the Drive. Otherwise, I would have preferred to be a few blocks deeper into the residential parts of neighborhood. It is getting more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area