Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I currently live in the northeast but our family owns a place in south FL. My cousin is 28 and recently landed a job in Delray, but wants to live close to Fort Lauderdale. She told me she has done extensive research on the area and has come up with Oakland Park, where she seems to be setting her sights. I only know what I have googled, and the crime rate is concerning. I expressed those concerns to her and she said she’s been told from locals that Oakland Park, east of 95, is experiencing rapid transition. I have also found that real estate east of 95 is crazy high - 400k for a dated ranch. She’ll be renting but eventually will buy.

Can anyone comment on Oakland Park east of 95, and its future, so I can pass along? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:13 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hi all. I currently live in the northeast but our family owns a place in south FL. My cousin is 28 and recently landed a job in Delray, but wants to live close to Fort Lauderdale. She told me she has done extensive research on the area and has come up with Oakland Park, where she seems to be setting her sights. I only know what I have googled, and the crime rate is concerning. I expressed those concerns to her and she said she’s been told from locals that Oakland Park, east of 95, is experiencing rapid transition. I have also found that real estate east of 95 is crazy high - 400k for a dated ranch. She’ll be renting but eventually will buy.

Can anyone comment on Oakland Park east of 95, and its future, so I can pass along? Thanks all.
Every time I ride through there or go to Funky Budda I think about how lovely some areas of Oakland Park are becoming.

No, I would not live there. It's still industrial and sketchy.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Every time I ride through there or go to Funky Budda I think about how lovely some areas of Oakland Park are becoming.

No, I would not live there. It's still industrial and sketchy.
Thanks for your reply. Why wouldn’t you live there? I know industrial isn’t aesthetically pleasing, but is it dangerous?

Any insight on if Oakland Park is headed in the right direction? A friend just told me people are being priced out of Wilton Manors, which is why Oakland Park is seeing changes. Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Why wouldn’t you live there? I know industrial isn’t aesthetically pleasing, but is it dangerous?

Any insight on if Oakland Park is headed in the right direction? A friend just told me people are being priced out of Wilton Manors, which is why Oakland Park is seeing changes. Thoughts?
Wilton Manors still isn't as expensive or as nice as Victoria Park but most people choose Poinsettia Heights or Lake Ridge over Oakland Park. Both are nicer.

Oakland Park just isn't a nice neighborhood yet but that is just my opinion.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Oakland Park just isn't a nice neighborhood yet but that is just my opinion.
I don't know anyone who thinks Oakland Park's a nice neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:38 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I think it is better than it used to be. And it keeps on improving.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
After my initial concerns, I spoke to a few friends who live in the area. Both said the area is slowly up and coming.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:35 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times
Thumbs up Best Neighborhood in Oakland Park, FL: The Corals

Quote:
After my initial concerns, I spoke to a few friends who live in the area. Both said the area is slowly up and coming.
The eastern parts of the city of Oakland Park, east of Dixie Hwy, have some nice, well-established homes with middle class families. Only blocks from the main North/South thoroughfare US-1(Federal Hwy) are shopping centers, restaurants, clubs, and Holy Cross Hospital. I-95 is also nearby, accessed at Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd. And the ocean is just one mile to the east.

I have some friends that live just on the other (west side) of US-1 in a section called 'The Corals'. There you can find some of the nicest homes in OP. All the roads have recently been repaved after upgrades to the water and sewer systems. Many of the homes have been renovated from their original 1960's design, adding pools, enclosed garages, and custom landscaping. There are several large lakes connected by canals with access, albeit only for small water craft, to Middle River and the Intracoastal Waterway.

But I would not recommend any other areas of OP (west of Dixie Hwy) to move to, especially if you have children as the schools are not too good. Sadly Oakland Park Elementary School, the oldest elementary school in Broward County, is only rated a 2!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 09-26-2019 at 04:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
The eastern parts of the city of Oakland Park, east of Dixie Hwy, have some nice, well-established homes with middle class families. Only blocks from the main North/South thoroughfare US-1(Federal Hwy) are shopping centers, restaurants, clubs, and Holy Cross Hospital. I-95 is also nearby, accessed at Oakland Park Blvd and Commercial Blvd. And the ocean is just one mile to the east.

I have some friends that live just on the other (west side) of US-1 in a section called 'The Corals'. There you can find some of the nicest homes in OP. All the roads have recently been repaved after upgrades to the water and sewer systems. Many of the homes have been renovated from their original 1960's design, adding pools, enclosed garages, and custom landscaping. There are several large lakes connected by canals with access, albeit only for small water craft, to Middle River and the Intracoastal Waterway.

But I would not recommend any other areas of OP (west of Dixie Hwy) to move to, especially if you have children as the schools are not too good. Sadly Oakland Park Elementary School, the oldest elementary school in Broward County, is only rated a 2!
This is very helpful and I’ll pass along. Thank you.

Any idea when the apartment building will be finished adjacent to downtown? Read about it in the SS newspaper.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
I sure hope so cause Wilton Manors is right next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area