Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband got a new job in South Florida. We are thinking about to live between Parkland and Bpca Raton, also we are looking for a Catholic School, that is we our kids go and we love it.
How about those places? Are there good catholic school? I just see Saint Joan of Arc but I can’t find info about this school.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 07:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelita View Post
Hello! My husband got a new job in South Florida. We are thinking about to live between Parkland and Bpca Raton, also we are looking for a Catholic School, that is we our kids go and we love it.
How about those places? Are there good catholic school? I just see Saint Joan of Arc but I can’t find info about this school.
Thanks in advance.
Boca is Jewish, Long Island, wealthy empty nesters.

Parkland is more families.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:50 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Boca is Jewish, Long Island, wealthy empty nesters.

Parkland is more families.
Nice stereotype..........and completely wrong.

If you said Boca West CC or St Andrews CC are mostly wealthy Jewish, LI then yes that would be accurate.

Central/East Boca is more families (Timbercreek, Boca Bath and Tennis, Millpond).........then your stereotype would be completely wrong.

St Joan is ok, its old and you will quickly tire of the commute in/out from west of I95/turnpike. If you buy in east Boca then it would easier.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:54 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Is this better?

Everyone I know from Boca is Jewish, Long Island, wealthy empty nesters.

I know a lot of people from Boca and I don't know anyone who isn't the above.

Are you happy with that?

Old 04-19-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Is this better?

Are you happy with that?

Well I attended a Catholic High School in Boca Raton and there was one 1/2 Jewish girl there. So would that make it less than .3% Jewish? I lived in East Boca for 17 years, not one Menorah on the block! Tons of Italians, didn't know a single Jewish family on my whole block (48 houses or so). Neighborhoods like Royal Palm Yacht and Country club made local news for not allowing Jewish members but now I suspect they have allowed a few. Actually the developer of Woodfield Country Club made that part of his pitch as he was a RPYCC resident and denied membership (George Barbar). I worked at RPYCC in the 80's, there were no Jewish members at that time.

Its all perspective but "to go all in" about Jewish retirees on a thread where she is asking about Catholic elementary schools seems like you might be off on your reply here. I usually agree with your posts Blue but this one not so much!

Old 04-19-2020, 07:57 AM

605 posts, read 288,313 times
Quote:

If you said Boca West CC or St Andrews CC are mostly wealthy Jewish, LI then yes that would be accurate.

Central/East Boca is more families (Timbercreek, Boca Bath and Tennis, Millpond).........then your stereotype would be completely wrong.

St Joan is ok, its old and you will quickly tire of the commute in/out from west of I95/turnpike. If you buy in east Boca then it would easier.
You are completely wrong. That is a stereotype from the 80’s. Boca is very diverse ethnically, age wise, and has way more things to do than Parkland. While Boca does have a larger elderly Jewish population than most surrounding areas, not everyone fits this stereotype and it also depends which area of Boca. East Boca for instance has a younger demographic and lots of nightlife and shopping. There is also Florida Atlantic University with about 30,000 college students. The demographic trends in Boca are rapidly shifting toward a younger family demographic.

Parkland is also a nice area and also has many of the empty nest Jewish people you describe. Parkland is more of a bedroom community with little to no commercialization. It is much further west away from the beaches. Parkland is quieter than Boca.

Both areas are highly desirable. My personal preference is Boca over Parkland due to location and more things to do.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice4U View Post
You are completely wrong. That is a stereotype from the 80’s. Boca is very diverse ethnically, age wise, and has way more things to do than Parkland. While Boca does have a larger elderly Jewish population than most surrounding areas, not everyone fits this stereotype and it also depends which area of Boca. East Boca for instance has a younger demographic and lots of nightlife and shopping. There is also Florida Atlantic University with about 30,000 college students. The demographic trends in Boca are rapidly shifting toward a younger family demographic.

Parkland is also a nice area and also has many of the empty nest Jewish people you describe. Parkland is more of a bedroom community with little to no commercialization. It is much further west away from the beaches. Parkland is quieter than Boca.

Both areas are highly desirable. My personal preference is Boca over Parkland due to location and more things to do.
Ummm......you might want to reread my post, I'd say we agree.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:07 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Annnnyway, there's saint joan of arc catholic elementary school. There's St. John Paul High School next to Lynn University etc (used to be called Pope John Paul HS)... I think a simple Google search will let you know what Catholic schools are in and around the area.

Boca certainly has a Jewish population, but it's by no means a Jewish city as one poster alluded to. A lot of transplants from NY, NJ, Mass, PA, etc... Pretty diverse as far as ages and types of people. There's an area on Glades rd and 4th Ave where there is literally a church, a mosque, and a Jewish temple all right next to each other. It's great.

Boca has a lot more going on than Parkland and is busier overall. Pretty much anything in the way of shopping.. you can find in Boca from malls, movie theatres, Whole Foods, Shake Shack, all the chain places plus lots of independent boutiques, etc. I'd say Boca tops Parkland in the "stuff to do" department... Plus Boca has easy access to I95 and beaches. Parkland, while a nice area overall, feels "out there." It's way west, far from beaches, i95, etc. Maybe that's why some prefer it because it offers a quieter environment, less shopping, more tranquility. That's not to say Boca isn't tranquil, it's just busier and more centrally located. I think u can find houses in Parkland may have larger yards in some developments too.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:27 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Not so

Quote:
Is this better?

Are you happy with that?
Not Jewish; would not fit that demographic

There are many great neighborhoods in both cities. Many families.

St. Joan's goes up to 8th.
St Jude's goes up to 8th grade.

Pope John Paul is the high school.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:31 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Default You are correct...

Quote:
Well I attended a Catholic High School in Boca Raton and there was one 1/2 Jewish girl there. So would that make it less than .3% Jewish? I lived in East Boca for 17 years, not one Menorah on the block! Tons of Italians, didn't know a single Jewish family on my whole block (48 houses or so). Neighborhoods like Royal Palm Yacht and Country club made local news for not allowing Jewish members but now I suspect they have allowed a few. Actually the developer of Woodfield Country Club made that part of his pitch as he was a RPYCC resident and denied membership (George Barbar). I worked at RPYCC in the 80's, there were no Jewish members at that time.

Its all perspective but "to go all in" about Jewish retirees on a thread where she is asking about Catholic elementary schools seems like you might be off on your reply here. I usually agree with your posts Blue but this one not so much!
I remember that about RPYCC also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: