U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times

Advertisements

Hi I am seeking advice on a situation that happened to me recently. Myself and my family was in distress when i decided to write a letter on a popular posting site about my family situation. The letter talked about me and my family being homeless after not being able to afford our rent at a condo we were renting. My letter asked for the public help; since no org. or programs were able to assist... Yes, I did work, but with a 3rd degree felony on my record for as a act of retaliation for exposing too much info. this has been a major dilemma in my household. Now there are mimimum jobs that I can go apply to if any at all, and the pay is normally too low to afford a 1br on. I was a Accountant assistant and an Executive assistant, which now those jobs are just memories of yesterday, but getting back to the letter, a guy responded to my post and volunteered with his daughter to give me a 4br 2ba mobile home in fair condition. I never lived in a trailer and I knew this would be a challenge, but being homeless with kids was no joke so i took it. I resided with in-laws whom were very sweet up until i overstayed my welcome which was over 1 month. My fiance and i split up while residing at his parents house and it became a night mare. so the guy that was giving me the mobile home trailer decided that i should go look at it first, before agreeing to take it for free. That i did, it wasn't anything that i or my kids were used to, but it was a place you could make home, at least I thought. The real challenge was no where near. He said that i just needed to be approved for the lease, before he could give turn the title over into my name. He gave me directions to the office and i went there. Little did i know the office mgr. was not compassionate at all. even after explaining my circumstances to her. She told me to pay $50 which i had to scramble up and pay for the application and wait to be approved. I told her before hand about the felony charge which was not a conviction. Afterwards, i was told i was approved for the lot lease and that i just needed to show proof of ownership of the mobile home, b/c they do not let renters in their community. Now the fun start. I called the mobile home original owner back and told him, he sent me to his broker to take care of the title and registration and decal. The owner supposely resided out of state somewhere and he was bad off sick, so he couldnt come back to florida to be in-person he and his daughter said. I gave a copy of my license to the broker and he asked me how much was i paying for the trailer, i told him nothing, it was given to me, he said, you have to pay something, i'll put $1,000 and you pay taxes of $360 to me on that amt. It took me 3 1/2 to make that amount. Despite he knew my situation also. When i finally came up with it, he called me and told me to bring the monies to him and that he had already prepared the paperwork for my ownership...
Mysteriously no stores around that area sold money orders after 5pm, so i gave him cash with printed out receipt from him directly. He signed it and told me that my title will be in the mail to me in about 2-3 weeks the most. He gave me some chump up bill of sale stating my new ownership and that he applied for my reg. I took this paper to the mgr. office of mobile home and she laughed at it and said that she needed the title in my name and that the rules were she could not let me move in until the title and registration is downtown in my name. However, she baggered me and threaten me that if i was going to be the owner that i had better fix the outside of the trailer up in 5-10 days or else.. I and my fiance starting fixing the outside up, in hopes of getting the title soon. After a few months had gone by, i went to the brokers office again to find out the hold up and he said that it should be coming soon. He asked what comm. i was about to rent the lot from and i told him, he said ohhhh, i know the office mgr. very well, i'll just give her a call in the morning, b/c it was after 6pm. Ok, that he did, i got another call from the office mgr at the mobile home pk and she said to bring in my id, security deposit and i will be able to sign the lease. It took another 1 or 2 for me to come up with the $1500 to put down on the lot, the original mobile home owner continued to pay rent until this stuff was straighten out. He sounded sickly every time we talked and he stated he didn't know how much longer he had to live, & that's why he was giving me the place, he just wanted to do something good and that my circumstances reminded him of his daughter... Well the original mobile home owner, wound up aruging with the mobile home mgr and the broker for giving me such a hard time. Come to find out the mobile home owner told me the broker never gave him the title in his name either after 10+ yrs... he only promised he'd get it to him. The mobile home owner told him to not treat me like he did him and for the broker to do the right thing by giving me the title... I finally came up with the lot lease deposit months later and gave it to her and she backed off of me for awhile, but stated that i will never own that mobile home.... I stayed in that mobile home no more than 5 mos., then myself and family left, once again homeless, b/c the place was unliveable. it had a huge hole in the ceiling over the dining room table, i was told it was fixable, huge rats and other rodients lived inside, mildew was infested in the walls and everything else. I tried to tell the office mgr. about the condition of the home, to let her know it was unliveable, but she still would not let me out of the lease, my kids got sick behind the mildew and rodients. I told the office mgr. that she knew about the history of this mobile home and the fact that no one recently that supposedly purchased this mobile home were able to get the title in their name, I told her why did she after knowingly knew all of this, she still put the mobile home lease in my name, despite her corporate office rules and regulations of no LEASING TO RENTERS only MOBILE HOME OWNERS can rent the lot. This crazy mobile home office mgr. took me to court behind the balance of the 2 mos. owed for the lease, she knew the lease should have never been in my name from the giddy up! She found herself in court and sounding real stupid, after i explained the whole thing to the judge. The office mgr. was asking for $1600 to be paid to her by me. I told her she owes me b/c she knowingly knew the title wasn't in my name and she still put the lease in my name, when it should have still been in the original owners name, not mines. She still have my security deposit of $1500 and still to this day not returned a dime back and still presses to sue me for the back rent of $1500. I turned over the key to the mobile home office mgr. in court b/c the judge told me to and said i am no longer responsible for the mobile home and that the mobile home mgr. needs to find the rightful owner to sue him for the balance and the monies to remove the 1973 mobile home trailer, not me. Everyone left in agreeance that day, a month later i got a letter in the mail again, where that crazy mobile home owner is still holding me responsible for the mobile home by faxing papers to the water co. and telling them i still live there and i still own this mobile home, when i never owned it from the beg. I went downtown to see the name on record and all they could tell me was it wasn't my name and that was that. The broker bailed out of town way before all of this happened, so now the lot mgr. can't find the owner and now she's trying to force me to pay her back lot rent again, despite the judges orders. I still think im due back my deposit and the monthly rent amt i paid from the time she put the lease fraudently in my name.. what is your advice on such a screwed up situation???? and yes , i did try to communicate with her corp. office, but she was feeding them and her lawyer lies...... sorry such a long note
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 AM

96 posts, read 318,372 times
You may want to go to legal aid as I think you really need a lawyer to straighten it out. You could also counter sue in small claims court for $1500 deposit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area