Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,240 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a family of 4–two kids ages 10 and 6. And we’ve pretty much had it with tri-state winters! Both my husband and I work remotely now so we are looking to move down to Florida. We aren’t particularly observant but identify as conservadox. We are looking for a home in a community where we can send our kids to public schools but feel connected to a local Chabad or ortho synagogue progressive enough to welcome us (even for just the big holidays). Welcome your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,240 times
Can you tell me what community you live in so I know to avoid it?

Old 12-22-2020, 08:04 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Most people from the tri-state area settle along I-95 on the south-east coast of Florida. However, there are Jewish communities along I-95, crossing Florida across I-4 and then heading south along I-75 along the west coast of Florida.

The east coast will have a more NYC feel, while the west coast (Tampa down to Naples) is more mid-westerny.

I would start at my local temple and ask if they have a sister temple in Florida.

For a listing of the conservative affiliated temples, see The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, https://uscj.org/network.

Orthodox temples, including modern orthodox, are mostly in SW Florida and Tampa. https://www.ou.org/synagogue-finder/

Chabad Lubavitch are spread out but concentrated in SW Florida. https://www.chabad.org/centers/defau...-Lubavitch.htm.

I have to laugh when I say that the hot weather in Fl affects my Ashkenazi cooking. I haven't found any season for Stuffed Cabbage and chicken soup is not always wanted for Pesach when the outside temperature is 80 degrees. Be prepared to adopt a more Israeli, Mediterranean style of cooking. More grains and vegetables, less meat and sauces.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:48 AM

78 posts, read 75,373 times
^^^I had to laugh a little bit about "be prepared to adopt more Israeli, Mediterranean style of cooking"

Call me a crazy sabra, but the last time I checked, the home of Judaism is on the Mediterranean, and certainly NOT in far-off places like Poland, Germany, Russia and NYC....and shall remain there for eternity..

No self-respecting indigenous sabra or even ethnic Sephardic eats eastern Euro food...lol....no comparison in taste imho...lol

Old 12-22-2020, 09:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
What is your housing budget? That is going to let you know where you can afford to live.

There are synagogues everywhere. South Florida has a large amount of Jews, the third largest population in the US.

Most younger families like Parkland and Weston.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgold3 View Post
Can you tell me what community you live in so I know to avoid it?
\\There is a lot of truth in what Marysa said.

We are currently having a crazy influx of ******* New Yorkers moving here driving up real estate prices. I'll add New Jersey and Connecticut to that generalization.

I think all of our nerves are shot.

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-25-2020 at 05:00 AM..

Old 12-22-2020, 10:41 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysa Butzke View Post
^^^I had to laugh a little bit about "be prepared to adopt more Israeli, Mediterranean style of cooking"

Call me a crazy sabra, but the last time I checked, the home of Judaism is on the Mediterranean, and certainly NOT in far-off places like Poland, Germany, Russia and NYC....and shall remain there for eternity..

No self-respecting indigenous sabra or even ethnic Sephardic eats eastern Euro food...lol....no comparison in taste imho...lol

Your experience doesn't mirror my experiences living in the NYC region. Most Jews in that region identify more with Ashkenazi background than Sephardic heritage. Whilst the homeland may be Mediterranean, we are mostly children of the diaspora into Eastern and Central Europe. That is changing with the influx of Syrian Jews, but the Jewish cultural impact is still mostly Ashkenazi.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:19 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
You're welcome here but leave your leftist politics if you have them, where you came from. Otherwise try NY. Yes, I'm sabra, lived in Boca, but couldn't stand the "community", so I moved to swfl. FL is a great, well-run state because of its people, but the current invasion is getting absolutely obnoxious in more ways than one.
Why kvetch they let you and your narrow-mindedness in, its a big state..

Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Weston has 3 temples, Orthodox, Conservative and Reform, and when we lived in Weston, we saw several families that were Orthodox walking to temple (I am not Jewish but my husband is but we never went to temple in Weston, nor much of anywhere else. He just wasn't very religious).

Old 12-24-2020, 10:43 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Quote:
I would recommend the OP to look at fabulous communities like Mountain Brook, AL.
I would recommend CVPFord a/k/a Mayrsa Butzke et al. move back to New Jersey from whence he came and stop trying to claim Florida as his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area