Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Yep, Cambridge (you said pick a place so I did ), Ranked 12th lowest Property Crime Rate. Actually they had 1,904 incidents (burglaries, theft and auto theft) per 100,000. Nassau-Suffolk NY had 2nd lowest crime rate with 1,680 per 100,000. Ventura yes a suburb but still part of the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Cambridge?? That's right across from Boston and the crime rate is about the same as Plantation, which is generally considered to not be the most dangerous place but not the safest. They had 684 burglaries. It's a great place, and for the type of area it is it's safe, but it's not "leave your doors unlocked". Ventura is a suburb of LA and akin to Weston or west Pines. Half Moon Bay is far from major. Anyway, the thread was a rude people thread, not a crime thread, and I agree that if you hang out with those transients or you ARE one than this is a seedy place. I don't know who the hell makes out South Florida to be "safe" but I don't know who makes out every place outside of it to be too. Broward County crime is right around the national average, and still is even with the upswing (which despite common belief, didn't start until a year ago ), there are good places and bad places, just like always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:11 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,628 times
Quote:

Keep it WAY up in Charlotte! You guys have like 2 carjackings a day (yes more than Ft. Lauderdale ).
Good thing I don't live in Charlotte! WHEW!!!

And just FYI, SUNRISE (one of the "quietest" cities in Broward County) has atleast one armed robbery a day.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Good thing I don't live in Charlotte! WHEW!!!

And just FYI, SUNRISE (one of the "quietest" cities in Broward County) has atleast one armed robbery a day.
Let me guess, you live in Union County. Your are about far from the "crime" as I am in Weston, except here the crime zones have defined lines. Don't get me wrong the Charlotte area is nice, but I would rather live in the 129th most dangerous metropolitan area (Ft. Lauderdale) than Charlotte (14th) and I think it's funny that people move there to get away from the crime.

The funny part is that you think Sunrise is one of the quietest areas, yet you contradict yourself when you say to watch your surroundings in Sunrise. No wonder you think this is crime city USA and declined, you think Sunrise is one of the best areas. Well it's not, I think you have hometown pride. It's better than Oakland Park but the crime rate is above the county average. In Sunrise's defense to your factual inaccuracy, there are also 85 thousand people in city limits, and 196 armed robberies (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR...2007annual.pdf). That's not one a day, and that doesn't mean it was an armed robbery. I knew the chief. He said 84 South is very quiet, not going to find much quieter, Residence of Sawgrass Mills area used to have youth gangs and some property crime, east of Nob Hill is where most of the robberies and drugs started, and east of University is where most of the calls were.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-10-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am sorry, but it isn't "all over America" there are still plenty of places in this country that you can leave your doors unlocked and still feel safe.
With tongue firmly planted in cheek, allow me to suggest the "Hawks Bluff" community in Tennessee (located somewhere between the end of the world and the last place on Earth). The developer is from Boca and has marketed almost exclusively to stressed-out South Floridians (actually a pretty good strategy; I understand the place is almost sold out now). They fly you up for the weekend, put you up in a lakefront lodge, pay your expenses, the whole 9 yards. My wife and I went up there a few years ago to look at potential retirement property and I remember the guy telling us, "You won't even have to lock your doors here." What he DIDN'T tell us was that the nearest supermarket is 15 miles away, the closest employment opportunities are 40 miles away, the nearest hospital 50 miles away. If the gas prices from all that driving don't kill you, the lack of a nearby emergency room probably would, quite literally. It IS pretty up there, and you probably wouldn't have to lock your door there, but it made the property we eventually bought in western North Carolina look like midtown Manhattan by comparison.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 05-10-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't know about Hawks Bluff in Tennessee (although it sounds lovely if you are into that kind of living) but Hawkes Bluff out in the country in Davie is very safe, although I'm certain not as safe or country as the former. This is a rude people thread anyhow, not a crime thread.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you live in Union County. Your are about far from the "crime" as I am in Weston, except here the crime zones have defined lines. Don't get me wrong the Charlotte area is nice, but I would rather live in the 129th most dangerous metropolitan area (Ft. Lauderdale) than Charlotte (14th) and I think it's funny that people move there to get away from the crime.

The funny part is that you think Sunrise is one of the quietest areas, yet you contradict yourself when you say to watch your surroundings in Sunrise. No wonder you think this is crime city USA and declined, you think Sunrise is one of the best areas. Well it's not, I think you have hometown pride. It's better than Oakland Park but the crime rate is above the county average. In Sunrise's defense to your factual inaccuracy, there are also 85 thousand people in city limits, and 196 armed robberies (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FSAC/UCR...2007annual.pdf). That's not one a day, and that doesn't mean it was an armed robbery. I knew the chief. He said 84 South is very quiet, not going to find much quieter, Residence of Sawgrass Mills area used to have youth gangs and some property crime, east of Nob Hill is where most of the robberies and drugs started, and east of University is where most of the calls were.
No, I am not in Union County, far from it. I was born and raised in Sunrise, went to school there, had friends there, parents still reside there. It was known as one of the quietest cities (as I was growing up) in the county, long before Weston was even thought of. As far as knowing the chief, since we are clouting, I know the new one, old one, and the two before him. I know about the crime in Sunrise because I was one of the ones responding to the calls and handling the mess afterwards, if you know what I mean? If I had a dollar for everytime someone said "but I know the Chief" I could've been retired by now.

I have yet to hear about any youth gangs in the Residences of Sawgrass Mills, that would be a first. Most of your robberies will occur East of University, but there are several that occur in an around the mall area. I am also speaking of ALL ROBBERIES, not just ARMED.

I will agree that Weston is a great place to live and is primarily a quiet area, as is the area of Sunrise where it borders Weston near Markham Park.

Lastly, most of the people whom I have met that relocated up North have moved for reasons other than crime; costs of living, housing prices, schools, quality of life, tired of rude people, and so forth.

Not trying to begin a war here by any means, but I think being born and raised and working in the city gives me a slight edge over someone who lives outside the city and reads statistics to see if somewhere is a great place to live.

Take care.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know about Hawks Bluff in Tennessee (although it sounds lovely if you are into that kind of living) but Hawkes Bluff out in the country in Davie is very safe, although I'm certain not as safe or country as the former. This is a rude people thread anyhow, not a crime thread.
Hawks Bluff is wayyyyyy out in the woods. I think you have to drive a good while to even get to a Wal-Mart, and thats rare nowadays! That was the last time I was out that way anyhow.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
I have yet to hear about any youth gangs in the Residences of Sawgrass Mills, that would be a first.
There used to be a gang called "La Vida" in there and there also used to be some other loosely formed gangs. Not anything extremely serious, and it's "used to" stuff. Actually La Vida might still be there. I don't know the current chief though. The way I look at it, I think a lot of shifts have taken place over time ESPECIALLY in South Florida, where there always seemed to be a new area built to "replace" an old area and then said area sinks. I do know Sunrise used to be one of the quietest areas, there was a time when Piper High wasn't too bad, but just from the idea I get from some family that does have roots down here, it seems like it's been going down for quite some time. I heard it used to just be a sleepy retirement community and all of the roads only went out to Pine Island, and then it eventually exploded.

Take care yourself!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
There used to be a gang called "La Vida" in there and there also used to be some other loosely formed gangs. Not anything extremely serious, and it's "used to" stuff. Actually La Vida might still be there. I don't know the current chief though. The way I look at it, I think a lot of shifts have taken place over time ESPECIALLY in South Florida, where there always seemed to be a new area built to "replace" an old area and then said area sinks. I do know Sunrise used to be one of the quietest areas, there was a time when Piper High wasn't too bad, but just from the idea I get from some family that does have roots down here, it seems like it's been going down for quite some time. I heard it used to just be a sleepy retirement community and all of the roads only went out to Pine Island, and then it eventually exploded.

Take care yourself!
Amen! We used to live on Pine Island Rd and Sunset Strip, quiet quiet city. Used to be called Sunrise Village back in the day. There is alot of growth out West which is nice, but I think it came too late (housing market). I remember when Piper was a great school too, now its nothing but thugs and fights left/right.

I haven't seen "La Vida" in my years there, we have a bigger problem out east that likes to work their gang related crimes out west. I won't mention the name because I don't want to give recognition to a bunch of thugs, but they need to go!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:29 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I feel like people down here are so damn fake and artificial and always want something from me....i'm now very cautious about meeting people and guard always seem to be up..there are so many transients down here ,coming and going, it's not easy making friends
Sadly, it's not just you. I have been trying to make the best of it for about 8 years! People are a little cold and standoffish and no matter how hard I try to combat that with smiles and politeness, it is pretty much an uphill battle and to tell you the truth, I have become tired of it. I am staying here now for economical reasons, I have a good, stable job. But as soon as I have enough in savings, I will be searching for greener, friendlier pastures.
Don't get me wrong though, if your list of priorities in where you live includes year round warm, sunny weather (with no snow of course), close proximity to beaches, and close proximity to bars and other night-life, this is your place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area