Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
broward seemed to die around 1997 and by 2000 was done
Oh no, Tampa is dying, Hilsborough is 23% Hispanic now!!!! More than Palm Beach and same as Broward!!!! Yeah, it was really great in 1997 too. Murder rate above the national average, downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood were mainly there if you wanted to get robbed, and unemployment was 7%. Much better now even with the recent declines. Plus the malcontents are finally leaving! Broward probably attracted the most malcontents out of any county in the US in the 90s and now it's experiencing the largest malcontent exodus. It's a cycle.

PS- If anyone thinks I'm Hispanic slandering, I'm not, I'm actually doing the opposite because I know this guy's real agenda.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-08-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Can't believe none of us have mentioned the Sportatorium, which was the big concert venue in the pre-Miami Arena/BankAtlantic Center/American Airlines Arena days. Seems like everyone I know who attended an event there has a few stories about that old barn.
MANY stories.... I had an old car that over heated. Many times we would leave it on the side of the road when we were in the line of stop and go traffic heading down the road to the Sportatorium and catch a ride.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 PM

439 posts, read 1,741,693 times
Quote:
Can't believe none of us have mentioned the Sportatorium, which was the big concert venue in the pre-Miami Arena/BankAtlantic Center/American Airlines Arena days. Seems like everyone I know who attended an event there has a few stories about that old barn.
I'll admit that I was too young to go to anything there, but I do remember its existence. I remember my father getting his car stuck in a ditch out that way and the 2 that had stopped to help were on their way to see Van Halen there.

A cousin of mine went to the last drag race ever held there. The event was named something similar. She begged them not to tear her ticket so that she could keep it--they listened.

I didn't want to name everything. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been anything left!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM

439 posts, read 1,741,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
MANY stories.... I had an old car that over heated. Many times we would leave it on the side of the road when we were in the line of stop and go traffic heading down the road to the Sportatorium and catch a ride.
Yep...the 2 lane road. There were parts that went to 4 lanes on occasion. A former teacher of mine (plus another teacher that I didn't have) had moved to that mobile home park on US27--Holly Lake or Holiday Park? We were driving out there late one evening and I kept asking my mom, "Are we there yet??" I kept seeing the signs for 27 but never truly realized how far out in the middle of nowhere it was. I was 12 when this happened (1987).

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,222,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Oh no, Tampa is dying, Hilsborough is 23% Hispanic now!!!! More than Palm Beach and same as Broward!!!! Yeah, it was really great in 1997 too. Murder rate above the national average, downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood were mainly there if you wanted to get robbed, and unemployment was 7%. Much better now even with the recent declines. Plus the malcontents are finally leaving! Broward probably attracted the most malcontents out of any county in the US in the 90s and now it's experiencing the largest malcontent exodus. It's a cycle.

PS- If anyone thinks I'm Hispanic slandering, I'm not, I'm actually doing the opposite because I know this guy's real agenda.
Just a correction... the Hispanic count is severely undercounted in Palm Beach County compared to Broward. Most of the Hispanics in Broward are citizens while Palm Beach has a large population of illegal immigrants. Cities like Lake Worth and West Palm Beach are having census problems because of this, and it has been found that many of these families check off "White Non-Hispanic" if questioned to keep a low profile.

I can't really say that Broward has gotten worse or better. I can say that I like it better one county up, though. I mainly like SE Broward and NW (Parkland). Middle Broward is too congested and bland.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:47 AM

87 posts, read 306,383 times
When the beach had a nice, deep stretch of sand...

It's puny now.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM

176 posts, read 644,025 times
I remember Pembroke Pines being rather spread out c. 1997 there didnt seem to be anything west of university except that jiffy lube the apts across from it then hiatus was like the next big light for the mall...In 2002 they pushed douglas through at sheridan i remember thinking "my city was gone"...one less cow pasture one less u pick...

Old 06-14-2011, 02:55 PM

228 posts, read 716,748 times
Quote:
When I moved here in '87, my apartment in North Lauderdale was within walking distance of a large "U-Pick-'Em" farm that grew and sold a variety of produce. My mom and dad bought some tomatoes there and raved about them for weeks after they went back up north. The location was the south side of McNab Road, across from Hampton Pines Park. I haven't been out that way in quite a while and wonder whatever became of that farm. There were always rumors about a housing development being built on the site.
Yes! I live 5 mintues from there. I remember being a kid and my granny going there with me, and getting fresh fruits and veggies. It's going to be a Super Wal-Mart sometime next year I think.

-Remember when there was a movie theater, and a K-mart in the Wal-Mart plaza on 411/SR7 and Atlantic Blvd?

-Mini golf and a drving range on Mcnabb Blvd, next to the brigde that goes over the turnpike?

-Service Merchandise Stores, one in Coral Springs and one in Lauderdale Lakes, in the now Wal-Mart Plaza. (Was a Home Depot in there too!)

-Dollar Movie Theater, in North Lauderdale. It's not some charter school.

-Dollar Tree Store, North Lauderdale in the Wal-Mart Plaza.

I've lived in Broward too long!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM

355 posts, read 1,578,765 times
I remember enjoying the train ride around Hugh Taylor Birch State Park as a kid. Kapok Tree Restaurant, Pirates World (too young for the concerts, though), the Sportatorium on Hollywood Blvd (a 2 lane road), Atlantis waterpark, I-95 ending before the airport, and Andytown. When I-75 was being built, I was in high school, and thought what a dumb idea to build a highway out there. Hah!! Now, look at all the people who live there.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 PM

45 posts, read 224,848 times
Okay, I've been on Facebook too long and was looking for the 'like' button to click for many of the comments.

When I moved to Plantation in 1973, Sunrise Boulevard was a 2 lane road that ended at University Drive. There were cow fields where the Broward Mall & The Fountains are now. Always runaway cows on University Drive. West of Pine Island Road was mostly cornfields.

There was the large cow @ Dan Dowd's on SR 7 in Plantation (that was always 'relocated' by the pranksters) and Gold Triangle also on SR 7 (now its Florida HRS).

Henry's China House on US 1 was open until 4 AM.

Does anyone remember the infamous John Lomelo, Mayor of Sunrise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area