Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
BUT, it has made a 360 in the last couple of years. Many beautiful updated units. .
I think you mean to say it has done a 180. A 360 means it is right back where it started so no change at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 01:40 PM

676 posts, read 721,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think you mean to say it has done a 180. A 360 means it is right back where it started so no change at all.
The expression is 360 meaning a complete turn around. Duh

Old 06-09-2021, 01:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
The expression is 360 meaning a complete turn around. Duh
360 means right back to the same place. A 180 is a complete turn around.

https://grammarist.com/idiom/do-a-180-or-do-a-360/

Do a 180 is a phrase that means to reverse one’s opinion or attitude, to do the exact opposite of what one intended to do. For instance, a person may refuse to eat apples and dislike them intensely until one day, he eats an apple and discovers it is very tasty. One may say he did a 180 in his opinion of apples. The expression do a 180 refers to the degrees in a circle. If one travels 180 degrees on a circle, he winds up exactly opposite his starting place on the circle. Related phrases are does a 180, did a 180, doing a 180.

Do a 360 means to end up in the same place that one started. Rarely, one may see the expression do a 360 to mean someone has changed his mind twice–once when he embraced the opposite of what he espoused, and then again when he came back to his original opinion. Most often, the phrase do a 360 is used incorrectly when the speaker means do a 180. Remember, the expression is based on the degrees in a circle. If one travels a circle back to the 360th degree, he is back where he started from. These expressions may be derived from aviation, especially from the pioneer Charles Lindbergh, who used the phrases to describe flying maneuvers.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
360 means right back to the same place. A 180 is a complete turn around.

https://grammarist.com/idiom/do-a-180-or-do-a-360/

Do a 180 is a phrase that means to reverse one’s opinion or attitude, to do the exact opposite of what one intended to do. For instance, a person may refuse to eat apples and dislike them intensely until one day, he eats an apple and discovers it is very tasty. One may say he did a 180 in his opinion of apples. The expression do a 180 refers to the degrees in a circle. If one travels 180 degrees on a circle, he winds up exactly opposite his starting place on the circle. Related phrases are does a 180, did a 180, doing a 180.

Do a 360 means to end up in the same place that one started. Rarely, one may see the expression do a 360 to mean someone has changed his mind twice–once when he embraced the opposite of what he espoused, and then again when he came back to his original opinion. Most often, the phrase do a 360 is used incorrectly when the speaker means do a 180. Remember, the expression is based on the degrees in a circle. If one travels a circle back to the 360th degree, he is back where he started from. These expressions may be derived from aviation, especially from the pioneer Charles Lindbergh, who used the phrases to describe flying maneuvers.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 AM

453 posts, read 301,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

snip

4. Wall will never get built, it will cost millions that the current residents will never approve (just like someone else's wall idea that never happened).

snip
Your political snipe - just can't resist taking political shots - explains your lack of factual information on both walls. OP, ignore this member's postings.

I live in a 55+ and our entire county is full of 55+ HOAS in extreme demand, from low price up to and including multi-million dollar communities. My condo HOA was built in the 1980s and we have NO available units for sale they're in such demand. They sell sight unseen to relocation people, too.

As with any purchase you have to educate yourself on the following:

• Make sure they have well funded reserves (my HOA had 3 Million when I bought and a plan on future spending outlined - ie which buildings get roofs and when
  • Make sure you get the HOA meeting documents, minutes, newsletters and financials
  • Make sure you are comfortable with the hurricane protection or budget that in (new windows or shutters)
  • Make sure you investigate the property management (we have a professional company running ours)
  • Budget in your maintenance IE in my condo HOA the documents say I AM RESPONSIBLE for all plumbing in the wall that is exclusive to my unit. Around NOW is the time you get pinhole leaks in original copper pipe so to repipe my unit is around $5000.
  • Go around the community and speak to residents.

Furthermore, the generalizations that guy makes about 55+ living are just ridiculous, albeit standard for an element of people on the internet. Furthermore there are four different Century Village communities down there. Do you know you have to escrow (so to speak) around $40.00 per month for a new central air system every ten years yet - those Century Village condos with window/wall units are a massive savings. Some people may not want that they want central air. For example.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 07-03-2021 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-03-2021, 09:25 AM

453 posts, read 301,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I get that you are personally "invested" in CV, I'm glad it is a nice place for you. Please re-read my post, I was stating a few facts, not bashing CV but rather telling the OP things he needed to look out for.

1. Cheaper units ARE in need of updating, which is why they are/were cheap.
2. Younger residents, still a 55+ community full of older residents
3. Still tough to finance because of the low values and HOPA restrictions. Banks simply don't want to be bothered with a small loan and no real upside.
4. Wall will never get built, it will cost millions that the current residents will never approve (just like someone else's wall idea that never happened).
5. Neighboring values surely will escalate, but HOPA communities again get held back and rarely explode in value.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M97661-95997

Asking $35,000.........been on market 180 days. Next unit available is 46,000, next one 49,800 then probably another 20 units in the 50-60K range. Not exactly a 360.......but it might be up 20-25% in this boom. But remember at this price point 20-25% on a 40K unit is $8000-10,000.......not exactly killing it

Do you know what the word "PENDING" means? Check your listing before posting them. Which, if I'm not mistaken is against the TOS.

"Explode in value"? Wow that's some real estate expertise the rest of the world is missing.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 07-03-2021 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-03-2021, 10:01 AM

I will ignore his post for sure. He def has an agenda against older folk and 55 plus communities. I pray he’s lucky enough to reach old age. Thanks for posting the correct facts. Btw the perimeter wall was already approved. We have units in here going for 200’000. He def has an agenda. I hope he’s happy In his materialistic, young world, both of which could change in the blink of an eye. Have a blessed day.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Default All true but #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
It is older, but it within walking distance to the Tri-Rail, a couple miles to the beach and near I-95. The entrance is being renovated later this year- it looks so old-school, and some of the buildings look like something from a chernobyl town. But there is so much going on inside. I worked here one season and discovered how much I liked it.

I purchased a smaller unit here last year for less than most pay for a car. Which by the way, I got rid of my car. There are shuttles at no cost, walking distance to lots of things, a county bus that comes into the community, Tri-Rail shuttle is free. But the really good deals don't last long - mine was on the market under 24 hours.

There are over 200 separate condominiums associations at Century Village East - think different corporations. Some have terrible rules, most have old documents that need work. Condo commandos can play hardball here, but most are really old and times are changing here. I see it as opportunity.

Reasons for low prices are numerous-

1- an owner dies and their family that lives out of state wants to unload the condo, as the monthly fees run about $500;

2- banks will not lend under 50K and some documents do not permit mortgages;

3- the recreation lease kept banks away from the higher priced units, HOWEVER, the owners have recently purchased the 40-year rec lease, so look for prices to shoot up now that bank financing will be available;

4- Covid 19 has caused many of the seasonal residents, especially older Canadians, to sell, but also has caused many from NY to look to buy;

5- many of the condos are two story, some without an elevator lift, some with lifts. The "highrises", four story buildings, all have regular elevators.

I just love it here. The most difficult thing for me to get used to was how quiet it is at night, but there is nightlife just outside the community and free shuttles that run until about 10:30pm. And, of course, Uber.

The high school I attended is nearby and my friends make fun of me for living at "Cemetary Village", but every day I see 90 YOs playing pickleball, swimming, making art, working out in the fitness center, and shooting pool. For the price of a nice car, I own a condo and have a lifestyle as active as I want. And I can rent my condo out for the season and it will more than pay all expenses, allowing me to travel for half a year.
Glad you found a great deal!

As a mortgage broker, it is the rec lease (now gone I understand) that kept most away from financing.
I have lenders that will do under $50,000.00.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:18 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
I will ignore his post for sure. He def has an agenda against older folk and 55 plus communities. I pray he’s lucky enough to reach old age. Thanks for posting the correct facts. Btw the perimeter wall was already approved. We have units in here going for 200’000. He def has an agenda. I hope he’s happy In his materialistic, young world, both of which could change in the blink of an eye. Have a blessed day.
I don't have an ounce of bias..........just repeating that Century Village Deerfield is a low end property and because it is 55 and older the units will not appreciate compared to any non-55 community in the areas.

People will search online websites and get all excited on an under 50K condo in Florida, whew lets pack our bags heck I can put it on my credit card it is so cheap! Reality is they don't have central air conditioning, some buildings don't have elevators and all of the cheap units need massive updating! So pay 50K or less, dump 50K in them and then wonder how you can't sell them for a profit!

Now that the Surfside disaster has occurred more people will scrutinize low priced condos in 50-60 year old condos.

BTW Marbles, I knew the original developer of CV, he made a ton of money off those places new and was shrewd enough to originally keep the clubhouses and rent them back to the owners..........How is that for lifetime cash flow from a captive audience! He knew the market, he knew the original buyers were of limited means and sold them what they could afford. Did you know he targeted NY/NJ residents that lived in rent controlled buildings? He wanted that demographic.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:19 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Glad you found a great deal!

As a mortgage broker, it is the rec lease (now gone I understand) that kept most away from financing.
I have lenders that will do under $50,000.00.
Most lenders also know the units will be dumped on the lenders upon the person's death. Face it, not much interest gained on 50K over 30 yrs at 2.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area