U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 28,635,000 times
Reputation: 2389

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
That's a really discouraging thing to be telling people who want to move here.
I'm one of the more positive people on here but honestly it's true...of course there are some exceptions and I even said that most of the elementary schools are fine. It's not even the schools themselves in a lot of cases, but it's the bad influences in the system. I have seen a few schools do a really good job trying to overcome it (South Plantation and Fort Lauderdale come to mind) but generally speaking we are in pretty bad shape down here.

As far as Dade schools, that's off topic at this point but I do believe the issue is in the schools themselves there too. They got slammed on the news for having MICE in most of their schools. IMO if they can't keep the places clean, they can't possibly teach. Granted it can happen anywhere (the only Broward school that had mice happened to be a "good" school) but the fact that the problem can get that widespread speaks for the system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
 
22 posts, read 36,263 times
Reputation: 11
So for those of you still living there, what motivates you all to stay there if it’s so bad? I imagine some of you are quite comfortable because you make a good living but for those of you struggling through like I more than likely will be (by the sounds of it), what keeps you there? There’s gotta be something that keeps you there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 28,635,000 times
Reputation: 2389
Over 55 thousand people have left Broward County over the past two years...mostly working and middle class families...upper middle class families seem to be staying. Is is worth noting that schools in Weston and west Pembroke Pines keep on growing (upper middle class areas) and schools in areas like Hollywood and Pompano Beach (working class) are declining in population. South Florida is basically a place for the childless. It has good family areas if you need it, but the expenses...if your job provides a lot of room for advancement, your kids can get a decent elementary education here in most areas and if you can bump your budget up somehow a little more, you can live someplace that you can be proud to call home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,979,122 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
You could find a house in a nice area in a better school zone for 300k easily and nowadays 250k, but I don't know how your budget is that high with only 38k a year. I wouldn't move here, this place is very hard on working class families. I wouldn't move here with children making under 75k a year.
Compelled has a great point.
My husband makes more than 75k, we own our 3 bedroom condo, have 2 kids, live in a nice area (Coral Springs area), and are looking to buy a 4 bedroom home....but with taxes, home owners insurance, and the cost of the homes we're looking at (in our area are easily average $340k), with school loans, we are not going to make it here. We are in the process of trying to decide where to go.

Last edited by AJ1972; 05-10-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
 
315 posts, read 1,018,741 times
Reputation: 176
We're from Canada and have been spending most of our winters in Florida for the last 15 yrs. We brought our kids with us and I schooled them so they didn't fall behind. We were thinking of buying a small home for our retirement but since the war broke out we haven't been back and don't think we will. The weather is not that great at certain given times, the prices are much higher than canada for just about everything and we find their is more crime out there. So I think we'll stay in Canada and enjoy our homeland. With young children you also have to remember that medical care is not the same as ours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
 
22 posts, read 36,263 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Over 55 thousand people have left Broward County over the past two years...mostly working and middle class families...upper middle class families seem to be staying. Is is worth noting that schools in Weston and west Pembroke Pines keep on growing (upper middle class areas) and schools in areas like Hollywood and Pompano Beach (working class) are declining in population. South Florida is basically a place for the childless. It has good family areas if you need it, but the expenses...if your job provides a lot of room for advancement, your kids can get a decent elementary education here in most areas and if you can bump your budget up somehow a little more, you can live someplace that you can be proud to call home.
This has been very educational and enlightening, thanks for the insight. I look forward to hearing as many more comments as possible.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:09 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 28,635,000 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
With young children you also have to remember that medical care is not the same as ours.
I'm not even going to go there...however it would be comforting to know that in the US, your kids don't have to wait 6 months for a doctors appointment. No we don't have that socialized healthcare nonsense but the quality of healthcare in the US is unmatched. Our system is broken, but not in terms of quality standards.Your job will most likely provide health insurance benefits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,979,122 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm not even going to go there...however it would be comforting to know that in the US, your kids don't have to wait 6 months for a doctors appointment. No we don't have that socialized healthcare nonsense but the quality of healthcare in the US is unmatched. Our system is broken, but not in terms of quality standards.Your job will most likely provide health insurance benefits.
You hope. lol And hopefully they're not expensive. In the med field, my hubby (before taking a job) was offered positions, and the health insurance would cost us $1000 (with dental) if we took their plan. LOL Now we pay $526 per month for the 4 of us. Still a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 PM
 
22 posts, read 36,263 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
We're from Canada and have been spending most of our winters in Florida for the last 15 yrs. We brought our kids with us and I schooled them so they didn't fall behind. We were thinking of buying a small home for our retirement but since the war broke out we haven't been back and don't think we will. The weather is not that great at certain given times, the prices are much higher than canada for just about everything and we find their is more crime out there. So I think we'll stay in Canada and enjoy our homeland. With young children you also have to remember that medical care is not the same as ours.
Toronto is pretty expensive; are you saying that the cost of living is higher in Fort Lauderdale? That is surprising to me but I guess you would know since you’ve lived both places. My job would cover healthcare though so thats a plus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,819,362 times
Reputation: 1694
For what reason do you wish to move to South Florida? I would honestly say that if you are doing fine where you are to stay put. I will normally give positive feedback about South Florida, but I think that it would be very hard to live on $38,000 with kids. If you were single, I would definitely be telling you do "come on down." I would say that for you to live a middle class lifestyle with kids in Broward County, you will need to make $20,000 more than your salary will be.

In the early 1990's my mom got sick and was told not to work for a few years, and during that time my family of 4 lived on my dad's income of $35,000. I don't know how they did it! We really had to cut corners and had to be very frugal... and that was $35,000 in the early/mid 90's! The funny thing is that my parents make more than triple that now and still complain about things like hurricane insurance and gas prices. It's an expensive area, but if you are frugal it can be done. However, my main point is that you don't want to sacrifice a comfortable middle class lifestyle in Canada just to come struggle in sunny Florida.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-10-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top