Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 02:53 AM

35 posts, read 84,830 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-70s and are thinking of buying a home in Bay Colony. We used to live in southeast Pompano back in the mid seventies-early eighties. I have always loved the Fort Lauderdale area, but two things bother me. First of all, why are the guards at Bay Colony armed, and how is the area from US 1 and Commercial up to say US1 and Lighthouse Point, and the same for US 1 and Commercial south to say Sunrise Blvd. That is the area we will mostly go shopping in. The lat time we were in Pompano Beach there were homeless people collecting money on US1 and Atlantic Blvd and I wonder how much worse it has gotten with the homeless situation and the crime. I remember hearing that Pompano Fashion Square was torn down because of the crime and that worries me. We are going to be buying the house sight unseen as my husband doesn't feel it is necessary to drive three hours to move into an area that he is quite certain is safe (Bay Colony), but I am worried about going about our day to day business and how safe the area is after 50 years of not being there. Any opinions or advice will be appreciated. Also, what about COVID down there? Up here on the Space Coast it is pretty relaxed, not many masks being worn and all restaurants are open and most are mask free. Is everybody wearing masks outside down there? Oh, and lastly, what is the political climate down there? Is it mostly Blue or Red? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by ActionMgt; 08-27-2021 at 03:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 10:35 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
You really need to make a trip down and check the area out yourself.
As you’re obviously aware, the area’s significantly changed.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:50 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMgt View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-70s and are thinking of buying a home in Bay Colony. We used to live in southeast Pompano back in the mid seventies-early eighties. I have always loved the Fort Lauderdale area, but two things bother me. First of all, why are the guards at Bay Colony armed, and how is the area from US 1 and Commercial up to say US1 and Lighthouse Point, and the same for US 1 and Commercial south to say Sunrise Blvd. That is the area we will mostly go shopping in. The lat time we were in Pompano Beach there were homeless people collecting money on US1 and Atlantic Blvd and I wonder how much worse it has gotten with the homeless situation and the crime. I remember hearing that Pompano Fashion Square was torn down because of the crime and that worries me. We are going to be buying the house sight unseen as my husband doesn't feel it is necessary to drive three hours to move into an area that he is quite certain is safe (Bay Colony), but I am worried about going about our day to day business and how safe the area is after 50 years of not being there. Any opinions or advice will be appreciated. Also, what about COVID down there? Up here on the Space Coast it is pretty relaxed, not many masks being worn and all restaurants are open and most are mask free. Is everybody wearing masks outside down there? Oh, and lastly, what is the political climate down there? Is it mostly Blue or Red? Thanks for your help!

Bay Colony is fine (but I do hate the speed bumps on Bayview drive). Bay Colony had a couple of really high sales recently (one was 24 million I think). Dave Thomas (Wendy's founder) lived in their for decades, so it was plenty safe for his burger billions.

Pompano is still Pompano, its never been great. LHP still deals with Pompano and their inhabitants causing trouble.

Of all your concerns, I'd seriously research the sewer issues Ft Lauderdale is having especially off Bayview. It is a billion dollar + disaster that is underfunded so I would expect significant tax/utility increases to pay for it all.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:46 PM

397 posts, read 319,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMgt View Post
I lived in the extended area for almost 10 years until Summer 2019 when I sold my home and moved back to Boston. I lived in Imperial Point for 3 years and then moved to North Golf Estates.

In my experience, the homeless/transient situation gets worse when you get to the corner of Commercial and North Federal and south and west of there, and also when you get to the Pompano line and north of there. But north of Commercial and south of Pompano has less problems. The strip malls tend to have security guards who watch over the properties.

I used to enjoy walking from my home into The Landings and around the neighborhood and then walking adjacent to Bay Colony. Beautiful neighborhood and homes and never had any problems. Or walking to and through Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to the beach.

Living in Bay Colony and driving to various local places shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm sure things have changed a bit in the few years since I've been there, but I doubt it's like night and day. Your husband is probably right that you don't really need to go there first.

Fort Lauderdale and Broward County as a whole votes blue, but there's plenty of political and religious diversity. It won't feel like you're living in Seattle or San Francisco if you lean right and it won't feel like Lubbock or Oklahoma City if you lean left. My political views actually changed pretty drastically while I was living there and I never felt alienated either way.

As far as mask mandates go, they don't have them right now. Some school systems want them and are fighting with the state about them. Whether you want to wear a mask inside or outside will be up to you. The Governor signed an executive order preventing local ordinances from enacting mask mandates.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...s.html#Florida

Old 09-13-2021, 03:49 AM

35 posts, read 84,830 times
Thanks to all who replied. Your information was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area