Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 PM

480 posts, read 413,967 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Ft Lauderdale next Spring or Summer. Some of the neighborhoods I am considering: wilton manors, Victoria park, Coral ridge, and oakland park. Any other neighborhoods to consider? I prefer a vibrant and progressive neighborhood with restaurants/bars/shops.

Any recommendations on where to start with a realtor search? I am looking for a one bedroom or a slightly larger condo/house with an additional bedroom or a home office. My budget is $400,000. Any pointers? Where would I start with a realtor search? Or would it be a better option to rent out for a while? I have lived here for a few months, but still not familiar with all neighborhoods. Also, is home insurance expensive here? I keep hearing that is the case because of storms/hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,092,081 times
I think it would be a better option to rent if/when you move down. That way, you can get a feel for these neighborhoods. You can also do more research about condo HOA costs vs. amenities and develop a monthly housing budget, taking into account insurance costs as well. We moved from SFLA 6 years ago and we were paying $5k a year on a 4/2.5 home in suburban west Broward.

I think you’ll have more luck finding a condo than a small home at $400k. Condo insurance is less expensive than homeowner’s but that may be changing, looking at the building collapse in Surfside. Oakland Park is your most affordable option but it has more of a journey to take regarding becoming more vibrant.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I think it would be a better option to rent if/when you move down. That way, you can get a feel for these neighborhoods. You can also do more research about condo HOA costs vs. amenities and develop a monthly housing budget, taking into account insurance costs as well. We moved from SFLA 6 years ago and we were paying $5k a year on a 4/2.5 home in suburban west Broward.

I think you’ll have more luck finding a condo than a small home at $400k. Condo insurance is less expensive than homeowner’s but that may be changing, looking at the building collapse in Surfside. Oakland Park is your most affordable option but it has more of a journey to take regarding becoming more vibrant.
Thank you. I think renting out is a good idea to begin with. I don't mind condos as long as they have a more contemporary style. I need to some research to find out what neighborhoods have newer condos. I don't want to live too close to the ocean. Would prefer somewhat inland.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:22 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,092,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Thank you. I think renting out is a good idea to begin with. I don't mind condos as long as they have a more contemporary style. I need to some research to find out what neighborhoods have newer condos. I don't want to live too close to the ocean. Would prefer somewhat inland.
All the neighborhoods you listed are not considered oceanfront but they are east of I-95, a boundary that insurance companies use to charge higher rates—that’s just an FYI as you mentioned your concern about insurance. Glad that you are thinking of renting first as this gives you time to look around.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:31 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,620,378 times
Rates are based on location, year it was built (and what the hurricane building code was at the time of construction) and what features it has (concrete block vs. wood frame, type of roof, impact glass/shutters or just plain windows). Condos are not cheaper but rather they are shared by the residents so condos could have a 50,000 annual premium but if they have 25 units in the building then it is only 2K a unit. Condos also only insure the exterior of the building vs. the interior which the owner has to insure themselves.

Water damage coverage is hurting older Broward homes right now. 50+ yr old house, don't be surprised if they can only get 1 or 2 companies to quote the property and even then it will only have 10K in water damage coverage in the case of a pipe break/plumbing failure.

I love waterfront Fort Lauderdale homes (Rio Vista/Harbor Beach) but between the sewer breaks and the billion dollar project that will be, the insane taxes and the age of the homes I couldn't see myself actually buying there. A 2+mm home could cost me 75K a year to own with no mortgage after taxes/insurance and that 2mm house is closer to being a teardown than a luxury home. Live there 10 years and you just smoked through 750K! $6300 a month is insane for just taxes and insurance.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:26 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post

I can’t say I agree with this. OP is in the process of completely revitalizing downtown, just won the bid for the Brightline station and homes are selling at an insane premium compared to points north and west. It used to be the best bang for your buck, but now you’re seeing insane property values, and that’s not because there’s a long journey ahead for vibrancy.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 52,510 times
I personally think Oakland Park is not it. I stayed in a place there for a weekend, a block from business district (with funky buddah, the town hall, etc.) and I think the neighborhood is eh. It is a mixture of normal middle class and areas that aren't safe to be at night. I think that makes it kind of an average south florida neighborhood, but I don't think it is vibrant at all, especially not with the prices there now. There is pretty much nothing good there outside of that strip and the area by LA fitness. It really isn't near either the beach or downtown.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 PM

Got some great insights here. How about Victoria park, Coral ridge, and wilton manors? I have lived short term in all these neighborhoods but would like to know more from residents. Also, any other neighborhoods that I should consider?

As far as the housing prices go, it seems like several major cities (Austin, Miami etc) are having insane increase in home values. Hopefully things will cool down a bit in 2022?

Old 08-22-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Rates are based on location, year it was built (and what the hurricane building code was at the time of construction) and what features it has (concrete block vs. wood frame, type of roof, impact glass/shutters or just plain windows). Condos are not cheaper but rather they are shared by the residents so condos could have a 50,000 annual premium but if they have 25 units in the building then it is only 2K a unit. Condos also only insure the exterior of the building vs. the interior which the owner has to insure themselves.

Water damage coverage is hurting older Broward homes right now. 50+ yr old house, don't be surprised if they can only get 1 or 2 companies to quote the property and even then it will only have 10K in water damage coverage in the case of a pipe break/plumbing failure.

I love waterfront Fort Lauderdale homes (Rio Vista/Harbor Beach) but between the sewer breaks and the billion dollar project that will be, the insane taxes and the age of the homes I couldn't see myself actually buying there. A 2+mm home could cost me 75K a year to own with no mortgage after taxes/insurance and that 2mm house is closer to being a teardown than a luxury home. Live there 10 years and you just smoked through 750K! $6300 a month is insane for just taxes and insurance.
Thank you. This may be a silly or dumb question. Is it somewhat safer to live in higher floors as opposed to ground floor or individual homes from a storm/flooding/hurricane point of view? It seems like in south Florida all individual homes are on level with the street. I don't even see homes with a few stairs. I am intrigued by this.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:47 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I am contemplating a move to Ft Lauderdale next Spring or Summer. Some of the neighborhoods I am considering: wilton manors, Victoria park, Coral ridge, and oakland park. Any other neighborhoods to consider? I prefer a vibrant and progressive neighborhood with restaurants/bars/shops.
I would recommend checking out Poinsettia Heights and Croissant Park/River Oaks also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area