Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM

124 posts, read 698,248 times

Advertisements

i notice economical changes in these workin class communities...

along sistrunk there are now homes for over 300,000 on the block and taxes as high as homes in coconut creek and coral springs, this can be a good thing for a city that has the reputation as the most dangerous place in broward (very arguable)

central lauderhill (deepside) is tryin to cut down the amount of section 8 housing, many of apts have become drug havens and hang outs for local thugs and criminals, deepside has been a problem for some time so it will be interesting to see how they go about changing its reputation, this part of broward i believe has the highest murder rate in the county

North Lauderdale where i currently live is in a situation where the are looking for CHARITY funding, this city has never been as bad as lauderhill or pompano although close in proximity it has managed not to completly go to **** which is why i stay here. south west ranches of broward want north lauderdale to build new low income housing in there favor for around 42,000 a year, to keep low income residents out of south west ranches, however most residents of north lauderdale are objecting and threatenin to move out of the city, as it already has more than enough section 8 housing, not only along kimberly or sw 10th ct but all over the city

they seem to have the biggest problem because instead of UPGRADING they are downgrading and it worrys some residents, i however used to live in deepside and to me north lauderdale will never be that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
High income or low income, North Lauderdale just isn't going to attract that kind of "person". The surroundings are relatively clean and it's probably going to stay that way. Most people don't realize Coral Springs is loaded with section 8 too. Why don't they realize? because in 9 out of 10 cases the tenants are just people who need assistance, as opposed to people who might burglarize homes or rob banks for a living. When those types think of "Coral Springs", they think "damn, I ain't even messin with that (expletive)". Of course they exist but I think you see where I'm coming from. North Lauderdale doesn't have quite that reputation but it is known as a fairly tight knit kind of place where working class people don't have to dodge bullets every night.

Lauderhill (specifically deepside) on the other hand, got loaded with slumlords who could care less about the areas, and that's why you have what you have today. It happened to east Miramar too.

I think they should just go ahead with the low income housing out here and stop resisting it, as long as it's just people who own their homes as opposed to section 8. Many cities around the country have done it in areas that are known to be steady upper middle class and haven't had any problems because the KIND of low income people the areas attracted. There are so many factors that effect whether an area is going to go completely downhill or absorb that kind of thing. In cities up in NJ they build affordably priced housing in new developments as well as upscale housing and have few problems with it, for an example that I have witnessed myself. The thugs from Newark and Irvington just aren't going to want to "degenerate" themselves with an East Brunswick address. That's the best example I can give.

And also, when I always say when race doesn't matter but class does, I don't just mean economic class. I literally just mean how people act, as in having some class.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-22-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM

i dont know when u were last on kimberly blvd at night (between rock island and 81st) but there is a lot of thugs and drug dealers who hang out and dwell in that area, in fact there as a drive by shooting on kimberly a few months ago and also a shooting at the racetrac gas station on mcnab, events like these are fairly uncommon in the city but specifically along kimberly and 81st u find wanna be thugs roaming around, some breakin into cars, some selling drugs a night and some robbing gas stations...

however u are right, it doesnt have the SLUMish feel that deepside or sistrunk have and never will be that way, there is a difference between low income and ghetto, north lauderdale is NOT the ghetto but it does share some of the issues that they have in the hood because of a selected few low life people in the area

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM

I want to clarify that when I said go with the affordable housing, I meant in SW Ranches. N. Lauderdale doesn't need any, it's already one of the more affordable areas. The schools are also terrible in the area which means you probably won't have as many families moving in who strive for better education. The community that I named in NJ was known for the schools and the families that moved into the affordable housing chose that area because they didn't want their kids going to terrible schools and want them to succeed.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 PM

oh yea for sure, i was just saying north lauderdale has been goin back and forth in terms of crime, sometimes its alright sometimes its pretty bad, sometimes theres murders sometimes theres not, a lot of robbery and very few drug dealers... thankfully its not a crime HAVEN like other parts of the county like pompano, sunland, shallowsid, ect...

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I happen to live in a condo conversion in coral springs that went section 8 recently. One of the reasons I am getting out. Weird people low class people all over here now..scary things have happened and continue to happen. I fear for my wife, my vehicles and my belongings in my home.

In fact, I am going to get an extra lock for my home today

Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Heydade, I think I know where you live. I don't mean that in like a creepy way, but a month or two ago I remember you describing a complex with another poster that sounds exactly like where my friend USED to live, and like you said, it was becoming a zoo. Kind of a shame too because the complex is nice looking and his apartment was pretty nice. That kind of section 8 tenant is INFILTRATING the condo conversions ALL OVER South Florida. If you are going to do the rented condo thing, I always say to go to an older "real" condo complex with a real association. They are usually a better value for the money too. The place I live in costs at least 150 dollars a month less than the cheapest condo conversions or managed compelxes I was looking at, and it couldn't be quieter. The other reason I say older is because you stand a much lower chance of having an awful landlord in an older complex (oftentimes they have had the place for years), although it can happen anywhere. NW Broward however is getting SLAMMED with section 8 because the SW side seems to be refusing it. Just look up "section 8" in the craigstlist housing section. Almost all of the places are in Coconut Creek or Coral Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area