U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single guy considering moving to Fort Lauderdale Florida area, seeking information on top 5 reasons to move or to stay, will need two jobs to make ends meet

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 11,704 times

Advertisements

I am a single person contimplating on moving to the Ft Lauderdale area. I have been offered a job in the Pompano Beach area, and would like to know if you were a single person relocating to the area, what are the top things to watch out for. The money isn't wonderful, and most likely I would have to obtain a part-time job to make ends meet, but is it something you would recommend to a single person? There are a lot of forums on here that talk about not good for a family or schools but if you were a single person looking for a climate change (no winter) and a new start, could some experts please give me their top 5 reasons to move and 5 reasons to not. I really don't want to make the wrong choice, my sister in Louisville, KY is dying to have me move there but I always envisioned I would reside somewhere costal. I know some of these questions can get repetitive but I would really appreciate an experts opinion since it is such a life alterering decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,627,819 times
It's not even that bad for a family, it's just overpriced for a family. For a single person, this area is optimal. However, if you do not have more than 800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, I do not suggest this area.

My top 5 reasons to move (in no particular order)

1. Nice beach scene.
2. Diverse nightlife scene (no, it's not just a giant happy hour like someone once suggested)
3. Compared to where you are coming from, nice pool of singles (young diverse population)
4. 30 minutes to Miami Beach
5. Generally decent quality of life for a single person, assuming the funds are available.

Top reasons NOT to move (in no particular order)
1. If you are male, a lot of the singles are gold diggers. If you are female, a lot of the singles are full of themselves. However, it's pretty much like that anywhere...as a young single male I can tell you that there are a LOT of gold diggers, but there are a lot of decent girls too.
2. If you don't have at least 800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, you are going to be living in the slums.
3. If you lose your job and don't have any college education or skills to back you up, there aren't too many other opportunities. The same can be said for anywhere, but here you are trapped on an peninsula, in the most expensive part of it. This is the root problem for a lot of the persistent complainers.
4. People are going to seem cold and standoffish at first. You may or may not adjust to this, it depends on where you are from and your personal standards. Making new friends is not difficult, but it can be intimidating to gain trust in people. On the plus side, you don't get the passive-aggressive pseudo "friendliness" that many places have. If you don't get caught in the wrong scene however, I think you would be fine. It's just that it's easy to get caught in the wrong scene here...
5. The lack of winter gives way to a long, sweltering summer. You can cool off at the beach, but not always.

So, once again, if you have 800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, your job is stable, and you have an open mind, I say go for it! If you don't meet all three requirements, stay where you are.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 PM

518 posts, read 2,056,844 times
My outlook for someone like you moving here is much more bullish than it would be for a family. You're single, my guess is that you're relatively young, and there are no family obligations to worry about. If you come down here, find you don't like it and need to leave, it's not like you would be stuck with a spouse, 2.5 kids and mortgage/home that would have trouble selling -- your "damage control" would be a lot easier. So it might be worth the gamble for you. You've already won part of the battle by having a job lined up before moving here.

All this, of course, assumes that you can budget the $800/month for rent that Compelled referred to. Otherwise, don't do it.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,092,002 times
When I first moved down here as a single, I became roommates with two other 20-somethings in a 2-bedroom apt on Collins Ave. on Miami Beach. I "rented" out the dining area for $165/month and worked as a night auditor in a hotel that was walking distance from the apt for $10/hour. Eventually, I got a professional job, a car, a husband, a house and 2 kids. If you're willing to start small, you can make it here in the beginning, and the roommate situation gave me a built-in social life. I even ended up marrying the cousin of one of those roommates. It's all been a blast.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,233,917 times
top 5

1.beautiful,sexy, hot latin girls

2.extreme nightlife

3. palm tree's and coastal communities

4. Excellent restaurants

5. Hot, sexy, lucscious Latin girls from Brazil, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina and Cuba.

Worst 5

1. Hurricane season

2. having your testicles get sticky and sweaty right after you actually took a shower and walked out your front door....after just 3 minutes of walking wherever.

3. superficial people and women

4. I-95 traffic

5.did I mention the weather during the dead of summer ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area