Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 10:14 AM

39 posts, read 72,684 times

Advertisements

Hi all - after looking all over Florida for years, we finally feel like we found a great school and area in FLL. Now we need to narrow down where to live, and decide on taking the plunge to commit to a school.

American Heritage - would love feedback on anyone who has kids there, went there themselves etc. I'm looking for a nurturing school that will challenge my son academically and provided great sports opportunities.

Areas to live - I keep gravitating towards Weston or Hollywood. Would prefer to be closer to the beach but I also want a house with decent sized yard and a pool. I hear that everyone in Weston goes to public schools, but since we're pursuing private schools - is it worth it to live there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 04:15 PM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Native of Hollywood here and highly recommend it. Weston is kind of the epitomy of the typical cookie cutter-planned community, while Hollywood was largely built out by the 1970s with some very nice older well-kept custom homes to be had. Check out Park East/Hollywood Hills, easily identifiable by its semi-circle streets (Rainbow Drive, Crescent Drive, Luna Drive and Highland Drive) with varying cross streets between Washington Street and Johnson Street. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0pFrIpGfEs%40N

Old 03-14-2023, 04:38 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,092,081 times
You’re correct, most Weston residents send their kids to the public schools because they are so highly rated. As for American Heritage, it has a stellar reputation and if you seek private, is considered one of the best, if not the best, secular schools in West Broward.

What is your definition of decent sized yard? We used to live on about 1/4 of an acre in Weston and our lot was one of about a half dozen that was the largest in our development. Weston yards, overall, are not that big.

For a neighborhood with more character than Weston I would look at Plantation Acres. It lives up to its name. Homes are on at least 1/2 acre. Also, Jacaranda is another development in Plantation that is newer and has more of a manicured palm tree vibe. Very beautiful but I think you’ll find most lots are around 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre.

As for the beach, the big private school is Pinecrest on the east side of town. I know several Pinecrest graduates that became doctors and lawyers. Uber wealthy demographics.

Last edited by wizrap; 03-14-2023 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Remove word

Old 03-15-2023, 12:28 AM

I agree that Pinecrest is worth a look if considering FLL. Not to further muddy the water but I have very high praise for both Ransom-Everglades and Gulliver Prep in Miami if open to the area.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:30 PM

278 posts, read 312,547 times
Currently live in Weston and can agree, if saving money is a priority, then it doesn't make much sense to live in Weston AND send your kids to heritage. Property taxes here are high because of the excellent schools. Also in general the properties here are much more expensive than the surrounding areas ( though you may want to check out southwest ranches. Much larger properties, less in taxes but much more expensive due to the size of the lots)

That being said, between the incredible manicured landscaping, security, parks and overall activities, Weston is one of the best places to raise a family. If you don't mind the property taxes, then for sure you can't go wrong choosing Weston.

My neighbors kids also go to heritage, and we sent our kids there for summer camp. What a lot of families do is send their kids to the Weston public school, and summer/ vacation school them at heritage for a discounted price.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-19-2023, 10:26 AM

If saving money is a priority one can also look in places like Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton or Pembroke Pines where the public high schools (and most primary) equal or exceed those in Weston.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:35 PM

278 posts, read 312,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If saving money is a priority one can also look in places like Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton or Pembroke Pines where the public high schools (and most primary) equal or exceed those in Weston.
While I agree with the saving money part, and that there are great options in Broward for high schools...there aren't many schools besides I think pompano high that rank as highly as Cypress bay for traditional highs schools.

Now magnets, charters and privates are a different story.

Ranked in top 5% in the country I believe.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...pe=traditional

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...71&public=true

Old 03-20-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
While I agree with the saving money part, and that there are great options in Broward for high schools...there aren't many schools besides I think pompano high that rank as highly as Cypress bay for traditional highs schools.

Now magnets, charters and privates are a different story.

Ranked in top 5% in the country I believe.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...pe=traditional

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...71&public=true
Spanish River HS and Boca Community HS in Boca Raton as well as Ft Lauderdale HS are in the same bracket more/less as Pompano Beach HS and Cypress Bay HS if you look inside at the numbers. Weston wins out overall due to high income demographics and to a lesser degree the Boca schools. It's pretty damn impressive given the diversity involved the performance at Pompano Beach HS and Fort Lauderdale HS. More impressive yet is Suncoast HS in Riviera Beach which outranks all of them.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,774,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLG2017 View Post
Hi all - after looking all over Florida for years, we finally feel like we found a great school and area in FLL. Now we need to narrow down where to live, and decide on taking the plunge to commit to a school.

American Heritage - would love feedback on anyone who has kids there, went there themselves etc. I'm looking for a nurturing school that will challenge my son academically and provided great sports opportunities.

Areas to live - I keep gravitating towards Weston or Hollywood. Would prefer to be closer to the beach but I also want a house with decent sized yard and a pool. I hear that everyone in Weston goes to public schools, but since we're pursuing private schools - is it worth it to live there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

You should check out Artesia. It is like a mini-Weston. Artesia consists of upscale townhomes and condos, is manicured, has a great clubhouse, multiple resort-style pools, and more.

A lot of people who send kids to American Heritage live in Artesia.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:41 AM

194 posts, read 236,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How about real estate in those places up north?
Is it cheaper to rent or buy in Pompano B, Deerfield B, Boca than in Fort Lauderdale overall?
I understand Pembrooke Pines is cheaper than FLL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area