Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM

66 posts, read 375,600 times

Advertisements

yea so im finally moving out of my cuzins apartment and getting a place out in dania by dania beach blvd. and U.S.-1.. im not to familiar with south broward, having lived in the lauderdale/central broward area since moving to florida.. hoping i could get some information on the area, as far as the type of people around the community, entertainment, jobs, crime, any info would be usefull!!

also, more or less, how far/how long of a bus ride would it be along U.S.-1 (federal highway) from dania beach blvd. to oakland park blvd. thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Dania Beach looks like the 60s and feels like the 80s.

Type of people- Still a bit of a cocaine problem and it shows. Mostly blue collar white people and a small black "area" set off, small Hispanic population mixed throughout. The people are definitely on the weird side, although mostly down to earth. Their is also a small "ghetto" pocket and a small pocket of middle class white/hispanic people east of US1 that seem like they belong out in Cooper City. It's very class segregated and somewhat race segregated. The people at that Publix on Dania Beach Blvd are sometimes a little rough but very down to earth by the way, you can pick up some vibes of what the area is like at that store.

Entertainment- Your not nearly as far from Ft. Lauderdale as you think. You can get on the bus and be downtown in 10-15 minutes. Downtown Hollywood is around the same distance. Within the community, there isn't too much really. A few antique shops, restaurants, the famous Jaxsons ice cream parlor, a few rough convenience stores. You can also score some blow, but I don't recommend that path. And of course, the beach is very close.

Jobs- Pretty much the same as anywhere in Broward.

Crime- Pretty high. Lots of weird people hanging out there at night. It's a different kind of high crime from, say, NW Ft. Lauderdale though, if you know what I'm saying. Fine during the day, mostly burglaries or opportunistic crime. If you are street smart and can deal with some grit however you will be fine day and night.

All and all it's a weird, gritty kind of place but you can make something out of it. There are worse places. Being so close to the beach is a nice plus.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 PM

thanks for such a detailed response.. still want to know tho.. specifically U.S.1 and dania beach blvd... how is that area?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Not too great immediately off of the street. There are a lot of sleazy motel looking apartments until you get further in where it looks like a typical 60's era working class neighborhood. Like I said, looks like the 60s, feels like the 80s. Very strange area, feels time warped.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM

159 posts, read 558,778 times
my mom lives in dania south of stirling. When you start west of fed and pass the tracks- between old griffen and sheridan .... I avoid that area. There are some hoods back there. east of fed is alright and between fed and the tracks is up and down ... thats were my mom lives. But there are some bad blocks in dania.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
my mom lives in dania south of stirling. When you start west of fed and pass the tracks- between old griffen and sheridan .... I avoid that area. There are some hoods back there. east of fed is alright and between fed and the tracks is up and down ... thats were my mom lives. But there are some bad blocks in dania.
yea i know exactly what you are talking about.. i took a walk over the train tracks west of US-1 yesterday and felt like i was in sum hollywood slum.. basicly the area you mentioned is kinda rough round tha edges.. anything west of the train tracks south of old griffen going into hollywood is kinda gutta.. but its nice that im in the middle of everything, the dania pier is only bout a 20-30 minute walk away and its only a dollar to fish all day (im hoping to catch sum snapper or sum bluegill soon), and its convenient to have hollywood and lauderdale so close.. and of course ya gotta luv the breeze bus that runs durring rush hour an passes the airport alltogether saving me much needed time to get to work.. so far so good!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 106,670 times
not as bad as deepside tho lol

Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokilla View Post
not as bad as deepside tho lol
$hit homie i moved 2 dania from 56th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area