Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single 30 year old female considering move from Long Island to Miami for job, advice on whether to visit first or just move, information on good areas to meet people

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm from Long Island, NY and I'm considering relocating to Miami for a job. I've been to Miami and Fort Lauderdale a few times, and it's a great place to visit but I'm not sure if I can live there. I've read posts on here about high crime, economy, ect and with most of the responses I get the sense that it's not worth the move but a great vacation spot. I was wondering, would it be a better idea to go down for a few weeks and check out areas as opposed to just accepting a job offer and going blind? I don't want to pick up and move only to find it's a mistake. I'm 30 and single, anyone know of a good area for people my age, preferably outside Miami?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
unless u r of hispanic decent and understand the culture and speak spanish then i would forget miami entirely....i moved to ft lauderdale from long island when i was 29 and it changed a TON in the 5 years i lived there. its getting more and more like miami. i had to get out of there. so many shady, sketchy people, u cannot trust anyone. if its a great job opportunity and u cant stand long island anymore then maybe consider it otherwise maybe not.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Chick View Post
I was wondering, would it be a better idea to go down for a few weeks and check out areas as opposed to just accepting a job offer and going blind?
Only by visiting will you be able to make a fully informed decision (assuming you don't mind plunking down a few bucks on those ever-increasing airfares). Sample the beaches, entertainment and nightlife if you wish -- it's part of the South Florida experience -- but spend as much time as possible talking to people who live and work here.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Question Paradise!!!

Quote:
Hi!
I'm from Long Island, NY and I'm considering relocating to Miami for a job. I've been to Miami and Fort Lauderdale a few times, and it's a great place to visit but I'm not sure if I can live there. I've read posts on here about high crime, economy, ect and with most of the responses I get the sense that it's not worth the move but a great vacation spot. I was wondering, would it be a better idea to go down for a few weeks and check out areas as opposed to just accepting a job offer and going blind? I don't want to pick up and move only to find it's a mistake. I'm 30 and single, anyone know of a good area for people my age, preferably outside Miami?

Thanks!
I've said this before....but basically every vacation I have ever taken...I have wanted to move there....but visitiing vs. living there are completely different......you are luckier than most...if you have a job offer....this way...at least you can pay your bills...while you are deciding.....

My suggestion is that you locate one of those extended stay hotels....and book a room for a month or so....this way...you will be able to research the areas and make a decision over time...vs. over night...you definately do not want to sign a lease...and find out you hate the area you moved into....or worse...that you dislike living in Florida....I would also drive down...so that you can drive around to do your research.......

P.S. - Do your self a favor and if you drive down....buy a GPS unit...it is more than worth the price....but don't leave it in you vehicle over night....some one else might want one toooo........make the move

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I think everyone has pretty much summed it up. No one on here can tell you what is the correct answer to your question. No one can tell you living in Florida will be a better or worse thing for you. We can only give you our experiences. And from that you can make what you want of it. On these forums you can find people who love it here and hate it here. We don't know you to the point that we could say what is the right or wrong decision for you. So with that said you really should come down for 2 weeks if you can. Spend time in the different neighborhoods. Do the commute drive in the morning and the afternoon. Go to the grocery store in a neighborhood you are considering, etc. The good thing is you are not married and don't have children so you don't have ties, and so if you decide to move here and don't like, at the end of your lease you can move pretty easy.

I have to say that the majority 95% of the people I have met, that have moved here in the last 4 years, have already left. So that should tell you something. They are spending maybe 3 years max here in South Florida and then they are gone.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Doggiebus, you're not alone. Plenty of people I know that came from NY, are back there or relocated to either SC, NC, GA, or TX.

NY Chick, as doggiebus stated, you have no kids or attachments so it's easier for you to make the move. And if you dont like it, it's easy to head back North or relocate elsewhere. I dont know what your situation is like in NY. Are you renting? Living with family? etc? Is your salary satisfactory there? Do you have good a network of family and friends there? Professional network there? For the most part in many industries, salaries down here tend to be lower than NY. Back then, people could brag about life not being expensive in Florida therefore a cut in pay was acceptable. Nowadays, the idea that Florida is affordable is not true. Things are expensive here, and the public transportation system is a big zero. Living in NYC, I had a car but kept it garaged in Queens (for free), and took the train to work in Manhattan. I lived in Brooklyn by the way, and we all know how terrible the parking situation is in the city. On weekends I took my car and enjoyed driving in the city, no problems. But here, you are going to need your car 24/7, and deal with that traffic. (I've seen worse (try Atlanta), but S. Florida is one of the worse in the nation). What do you like to do? Are you a 24/7 beach person? Do you like the heat? Do you speak Spanish? Lots of factors and variables...If you're doing well in NY, stay in NY. Florida is not what it's cracked up to be, especially when it comes down to young professionals.

If it's money you care about, and the job offer you have been given is too good to pass up, then that's up to you...Visit, visit, visit. While here, try to find what you liked to do in NYC. If there are similarities and you can tolerate it, then give it a try. South Florida is losing a fair share of young talent. My prediction is you may become a half back if you move down here. . I wont discourage you, but too many young intelligent people are leaving South Florida, hence openings for certain jobs. You should consider living in Broward County if your main language is English, and commute to Miami. That may help aleviate some stresses. Think about it.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,280 times
Thanks for everyone's feedback. To answer MisterNY's question, I rent and I work in NYC. I have a few close friends here, although many have moved away. After reading the responses, I've come to the conclusion that it would be wise for me to go and spend some time and talk to the locals. It's so true, vacation and actually living there are two different things..I think I'll check out NC also while I'm at it...LOL.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's feedback. To answer MisterNY's question, I rent and I work in NYC. I have a few close friends here, although many have moved away. After reading the responses, I've come to the conclusion that it would be wise for me to go and spend some time and talk to the locals. It's so true, vacation and actually living there are two different things..I think I'll check out NC also while I'm at it...LOL.
Good move. Don't rush into it. Take your time and evaluate things for yourself. I know, NYC, as fun as it can be for the outgoing, well paid professional, it can get lonely. Do your research and share your opinion once you're here or back from here. NC is not bad, a bit too slow for me. I didn't go to Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham though, so I can't comment on these bigger cities. I passed through Charlotte, on my way, so I can only tell you about Greensboro, Winston-Salem and in between from a touring stand point. Good luck in your search. Take care

Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM

9 posts, read 34,299 times
listen my young girl.

i'm 34. live in broward county all my life. and u know what? i'm leaving south florida in jan 09 and move to tampa or orlando when i get promoted.

don't let hollywood fool u about this dump. u move to florida move to jacksonville where the job market is excellent and the diversity there is great.

stay away from miami-dade-broward counties, if u value living life past 40 years old.

1. crime is bad. i know my uncle is miami-dade police

2. people... phony, fake, backstabbers and all about wasting money on what they don't have, just like any other city who tries to be like california & ny

3. cost-of-living - u better be making more than 60,000 a year

4. insurance companies will f-u over if bad weather hits

Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
yea...its the truth....if u r a nice girl with morals looking to meet decent guys then stay AWAY from south florida. it is a ZOO of phony posers, sketchy transients and 3rd world refugees. the whole area is going to explode eventually and float away into the 3rd world caribbean where it will fit in perfectly. tampa is basically becoming the same way, i wouldnt reccomend moving to tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area