Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM

156 posts, read 150,066 times

Advertisements

"The rudest people I have come in contact with have been native Floridians."

HAHAHA!!! MY ASS!!! Those are the nicer ones, you know, actually let you merge, say hello, and those things ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,303,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer boy View Post
"The rudest people I have come in contact with have been native Floridians."

HAHAHA!!! MY ASS!!! Those are the nicer ones, you know, actually let you merge, say hello, and those things ...
You might live in your car, but I get out and actually speak to people. As I said, the rudest have been the natives. They seem to be very insular, meaning if you are not from here they don't generally "let you in". I have worked at 2 fortune 500 hundred companies here, went to university here and worked at a major university here and met TONS of people from here. Not to mention, the ones I have met in my old neighborhood. It is what it is, whether you like it or not.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,371,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Florida's weather is too hot. Why not move up to north?
Here in New Jersey we have 4 seasons. Summers are Hot & Humid with temperatures into the 80s
Trying to move, but haven't found that perfect place. Well actually found an almost perfect place in California.
New Jersey to cold too long. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:

HAHAHA!!! MY ASS!!!
That was kind of rude to say the least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You might live in your car, but I get out and actually speak to people. As I said, the rudest have been the natives. They seem to be very insular, meaning if you are not from here they don't generally "let you in". I have worked at 2 fortune 500 hundred companies here, went to university here and worked at a major university here and met TONS of people from here. Not to mention, the ones I have met in my old neighborhood. It is what it is, whether you like it or not.
Yeah, but they say "hi" unlike the rude, crime causing New Yorkers ...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,398,901 times
This thread was supposed to be about what, again? Why you hate it here, not why you hate the person posting something that you dont agree with. Let's keep the opinions alive, not the insults. I have lived in NYC for a good amount of my life, and will agree that New Yorkers are generally friendlier than most South Floridians. I am fortunate to have a few decent neighbors (2 households only on the block, the nicer ones are not even from Florida, one household is from DC, the other from TX, go figure..). It's a quiet area. Aside from the good morning, good evening there's not much to say. At least the hellos are present. My Texan neighbor could not believe how rude people were, and was not surprised that I was from NYC. One of the first things he told me, "You're not floridian, are you?"....I kid you not ..He's looking for a transfer back to TX btw (life is much cheaper, and so is housing...the pay is the same for him, ex military, now working for the Federal Govt)

NYC was a different story. We're all clustered together, take the train/bus together, live closer to each other than we do in South Florida. I clearly understand why people in NYC are friendlier. We have more opportunities to interact, simple as that. Those who get offended about South Florida's lack of friendliness are obviously natives. Take no offense, re-evaluate things and take a minute to be nice. I have an uncle that lives in NYC, that came for the weekend on his way to a cruise, and said the same thing. People here are rude and unprofessional (store clerks with the "What the "F--k' do you want" look on their faces?..). I told him, that's South Florida for ya....I told him, he doesn't have to live here, so he's ok.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That was kind of rude to say the least...

Yeah, but they say "hi" unlike the rude, crime causing New Yorkers ...
lol you got jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
This thread was supposed to be about what, again? Why you hate it here, not why you hate the person posting something that you dont agree with. Let's keep the opinions alive, not the insults. I have lived in NYC for a good amount of my life, and will agree that New Yorkers are generally friendlier than most South Floridians. I am fortunate to have a few decent neighbors (2 households only on the block, the nicer ones are not even from Florida, one household is from DC, the other from TX, go figure..). It's a quiet area. Aside from the good morning, good evening there's not much to say. At least the hellos are present. My Texan neighbor could not believe how rude people were, and was not surprised that I was from NYC. One of the first things he told me, "You're not floridian, are you?"....I kid you not ..He's looking for a transfer back to TX btw (life is much cheaper, and so is housing...the pay is the same for him, ex military, now working for the Federal Govt)

NYC was a different story. We're all clustered together, take the train/bus together, live closer to each other than we do in South Florida. I clearly understand why people in NYC are friendlier. We have more opportunities to interact, simple as that. Those who get offended about South Florida's lack of friendliness are obviously natives. Take no offense, re-evaluate things and take a minute to be nice. I have an uncle that lives in NYC, that came for the weekend on his way to a cruise, and said the same thing. People here are rude and unprofessional (store clerks with the "What the "F--k' do you want" look on their faces?..). I told him, that's South Florida for ya....I told him, he doesn't have to live here, so he's ok.
I have said it MANY times on this forum. S. Florida is VERY transient so I think that is why you get a lot of the non neighborly vibe here. Also as you said, back in the city you are around others all day every day. You get to know your neighbors, the people you commute with every day etc. Totally different life style up there. I miss it a lot. I did the math and I can live in Brooklyn for the same amount or a bit less than here AND make more money. Only thing keeping me here right now is a crumbling economy and few job opportunities back home.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

Ok, Wild Style. Your right, I'm sure most people would probably disagree with you, but since you worked for a Fortune 500 company, and you have a college education, I'll take your word for it buddy. Oh hey, I got one of 'dem college edumucatons too, so I dont have to live in my car any longer!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Ok, Wild Style. Your right, I'm sure most people would probably disagree with you, but since you worked for a Fortune 500 company, and you have a college education, I'll take your word for it buddy. Oh hey, I got one of 'dem college edumucatons too, so I dont have to live in my car any longer!
My pointing out....meh, never mind.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Sounds good, thx.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM

93 posts, read 272,214 times
Lightbulb Life is OK here

Hello All, I will first let you know that I have lived in at least 6 major metro areas of this country and I will throw in San Juan as #7. Life here is not that bad and here is my take on some of the problems you don't want that other places do.
#1 - Gangs, and I mean real gangs, not what you see here. Your local gangs here are more a nuisance than a gang. Go to Cali, Phoenix, Denver or even the Capital DC, and you will see what I mean, MS13, Bloods, Crips, Motor cycle gangs, trust me we don't have that here.
#2 - Traffic - I laugh at traffic here, try living in Philly, DC or LA. Done.
#3 - Flavor - Most other places in the US, you are either white or Black. The other day I watched a pickup soccer game and saw jersey's from Haiti, Brazil, Colombia, Mexica, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Trinidad, Spain and Cameroon. Plus a bunch players with no shirts. And this was in Lauderhill, the supposed hub of Jamaican activity in Broward. And guess what? every player spoke soccer. While we are probably lacking in Asian and Indians, trust me they are coming.
#4 - Culture - I saw king Tut's Exhibit one night and went to Zoe's Summer groove the next night. Enough Said.
#5 - Food - As good as anyplace in the country. The Brazilian Steakhouses are phenomonal, the Jerk Chicken Franchises are great, and the Elbow Room (right on the Beach) has a 4$ beer and wings night. I don't even want begin singing the praises of the seafood we take for granted.
#6 - Weather - Yes, I know it is too hot in the summer, and yes I like watching the change in seasons as much as anybody else. However, I don't have to buy winter clothes, I wear a coat once a year when I go see family in NYC. And the best of the best, I can call my sis from the beach with the breeze blowing through my bathing suit while she is waiting at a bus stop in 5 degree weather.
#7 - Police presence - This may be the most controversial, but i have to say, there are a lot more police here than in other metropolitan areas in the country. And I am talking about big cities like San Antonio, Tucson, Denver and St. Louis.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry, but this is my truth about this area and I like it here. I think I will like it better in Orlando, but there is no beach and that is something I really like about the 305, 954 and 561.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area