Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
No problems with road rage in S FL... not at all.

South Florida called "road rage capital" of U.S. : State News : TCPalm

I dont know why anyone would like living in Miami. Have family that used to live there (on my wife's side) and moved to a place where ppl are friendlier, much less crime, less traffic/congestion, better weather, and where ppl speak english. That beautiful place is the mtns of NC, and they dont miss a thing about Miami. I know people that wont even DRIVE down there much less live, LOL. Place is miserable.
I met a guy in a bar once in Clearwater, FL who owned a haulage firm and he told me he couldn't even get drivers who would do Miami runs.

It IS that bad down here, trust me. I see horrific s*-t on a daily basis and I often fear for my life just driving home. I avoid the expressways whenever I can and I even tell my wife to avoid them, if she can help it.

This is what happens when you allow waves of undocumented immigration to happen -- all the scum of the earth end up moving here, forcing those who had lived here for decades to leave.

People in border states complain about illegal Mexicans -- many of the Cubans down here are just as bad, if not WORSE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
lol, when in doubt, pull out the "road rage card" again.
It's not a card, it's reality.....trust me, I see it every damn day and I wish I didn't have to, because I wouldn't be here wasting cyberspace complaining about it. Miamians drive like complete and utter maniacs, allowing their "machismo" to override their tiny brains whenever they get behind the wheel of their Honda Civics, Infinitis, Ford F150s or Nissan Altimas.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I met a guy in a bar once in Clearwater, FL who owned a haulage firm and he told me he couldn't even get drivers who would do Miami runs.

It IS that bad down here, trust me. I see horrific s*-t on a daily basis and I often fear for my life just driving home. I avoid the expressways whenever I can and I even tell my wife to avoid them, if she can help it.

This is what happens when you allow waves of undocumented immigration to happen -- all the scum of the earth end up moving here, forcing those who had lived here for decades to leave.

People in border states complain about illegal Mexicans -- many of the Cubans down here are just as bad, if not WORSE!
lol -- I drive here EVERY DAY and have been in and out of SoFla for 30 years. Other than a few idiots, I don't find it THAT bad.
I'm on 95 at least 3x per week and the Palmetto usually 2x per week.

I'm NOT dismissing drivers or driving here, it sucks NO DOUBT, at times. IMHO it is the worst thing about SoFla AND something I can live with. BUT, I get waved into traffic nearly every day on US(eless)-1, make a Publix run 3x per week, DW commutes down Red Rd every day ... life is kind of normal.

Last edited by planetsurf; 12-11-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
lol, when in doubt, pull out the "road rage card" again.

Never a shortage of doubt when it comes to Miami and its nastiness.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Never a shortage of doubt when it comes to Miami and its nastiness.
Yup, except when there is.

8 posts per day with different versions of "Florida sucks, you're not supposed to like it!"
Enjoy the mountains. lol

Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times
I NEVER said I didnt like FL. S FL sucks and Orlando sucks. And as a native, disappointed at how many parts FL has turned into NYC and Latin America. And yes, the mountains definitely offer a much better quality of life than S FL does, and you and I both know it. And so does about 5 out of the 6 million other folks in S FL trying to leave. Why do you think so many natives have left S FL (I do realize there are a few nice places left in S FL)? Why all the complaints? Why all the negativity? Why always on the news? It's because it is such a great place to live, right?

Where are you from anyway, planetsurf?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
And as a native, disappointed at how many parts FL has turned into NYC and Latin America.
As another native, I'm really glad. I MUCH prefer the SoFla of today to the SoFla I remember when we moved here in the 70's. Everyday. NO WAY I would be living here if it was stuck in that time-warp.

Quote:
And yes, the mountains definitely offer a much better quality of life than S FL does, and you and I both know it.
For YOU maybe? Not for me, my wife, our families or 90% of the people we know. I think Miami is a great place to raise my kids and the QoL suits me just fine! There are pluses and minuses EVERYWHERE. For us Miami works just fine.
The things I like to do just don't exist in the "mountains." They're a great place to visit, not live, so no thanks.

Quote:
Where are you from anyway, planetsurf?
Born in Miami, spent 9 years in NY/NJ, then Cooper city, Plantation, Gainesville, Atlanta, Miami, San Diego now back to Miami. 21 out of nearly 40 years makes me a Floridian.
DW was born and raised in Miami except for following me from Atlanta on.

5 million people want to leave? Nah, SoFla is STILL gaining population. Many older, white, anglo, "natives" want to leave? Sure, some do. Some have. Heck, even some NY folks, & latins do too. See ya!
Why? Racism, xenophobia, can't compete, like a slower way of life, tired of the heat, hurricanes, traffic, job opportunities, afraid of iguanas ... pick one. It does NOT matter - move wherever you'll feel happiest! That's the beauty of life here in America, we can live where we want and/or try to make where we live a better place. Or we can run from problems.

Here's my point - anybody that spends so much time posting 4 variations of "SoFla sux" to people that CHOOSE to live here, CHOOSE to make this their home and CHOOSE to NOT move is EXACTLY the kind of person I would NOT like to be living around.
I think you're off Charlotte now, good luck in the mountains or wherever you can find bliss. I'll assume you deserve it.

Last edited by planetsurf; 12-11-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
"I’ve lived in many cities (both here in the US and overseas) and I can honestly tell you that I’ve never encountered so many self-centered, self-absorbed, narcissistic, arrogant, pig-ignorant and overly stupid people as I have here in Miami."

I know, and many agree... but certain folks on here are completely blind to the facts.
The problem there is that there aren't facts as to whether someone is self-centered, self-absorbed, etc.--those are subjective assessments. As such, one can't be "objectively right" or wrong about them.

There also aren't facts as to whether crime is bad. There are facts about things like whether someone was murdered, how many people were murdered, etc., but not about whether crime is bad. Good and bad are necessarily subjective.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I think some people are biased and wont admit it.
I don't think it's possible to have a lack of bias.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Let's face it...any place that takes in so many unchecked, undocumented immigrants just because they happen to come from a certain island is BOUND to have problems, don't you think?
I don't think that, and I'm actually against immigration laws.
Quote:
Some people can be happy here and some people are happy here. If you like beaches, clubbing, the Latin culture and if you are thick skinned enough to tolerate the BS that comes from living here, you'll probably be just fine.
I'm not very much into the beach and I never go clubbing, but I like Miami a lot. I do like Latin culture, however--as well as any other culture that one can experience.

But in my subjective assessment, people aren't generally rude in Florida, including Miami, I've yet to feel discriminated against in my experiences there, and I don't think the driving is any worse than any other place with anything near that population density. <shrugs>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area