Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsmom View Post
ok, ok, you've convinced me....I'll stick to Davie, Weston, Plantation and Cooper City.

I just need a "cheaper" rental in case it takes forever to sell our home and a safe neighborhood because my hubby will be here in NC for awhile before he can move down there.....this all is based on the assumption that I get a job from one of my interviews next week!
well I am in the market now so tell me whats your price range and how many bedrooms you are looking for. Also where will you be working? We have looked ALL over broward, so i can give you some suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
cleanest housing projects? Umm I don't know about that. I have been through out many projects (mostly in NYC) and it seems average to me, just not as grand a scale as NYC projects though. I guess you have to actually get out and walk around there to see how it is.

That's true. I have walked around Queensbridge (no I'm not just saying that to sound like I'm hard lol), never had any reason to walk around any of the projects here lol. All I know is that OFF the road, those are the cleanest looking projects I have seen.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's true. I have walked around Queeonsbridge (no I'm not just saying that to sound like I'm hard lol), never had any reason to walk around any of the projects here. All I know is that off the road, those are the cleanest loking projects I have seen.
Don't get me wrong, its not killer season in there but if you walk around sail boat bend you do get a sense it is very ruff around the edges. Someone not used to living side by side with all economic and social strata may find it unnerving. If you are from NYC, Boston or one of the older cities it wont be that big of a deal for you.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 PM

159 posts, read 456,285 times
Oh, I have to reply on this one! Back in the 50's I lived in the housing project on Broward Blvd. and back then it was a very nice area. I went to West Side elementary school and Naval Air Station Junior High, then moved to Atlanta. It's just blocks from downtown. I was down there a couple of years ago and drove around. Saw new homes and older homes in the neighborhood. We would ride bikes down Las Olas to the beach as kids. Back then it was a small town, very beautiful. We had a guava tree in the back yard, coconut trees all around, and coconuts would fall on the ground and we'd break them open, mangos too. That housing project is very small, about three blocks long. It doesn't look too bad now.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM

55 posts, read 302,228 times
Under $1200, preferably under $1100 for 2 or 3 bedrooms. I am fine with a condo/townhome if it is kid friendly and pug friendly! I am not concerned about schools beyond elementary. I was contemplating an inexpensive mobile home in a nice community (buy not rent) because it seems to give us more options. I would appreciate any suggestion because internet shopping is great for books but not so great for real estate.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM

159 posts, read 456,285 times
When I was in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago I noticed the people were not friendly. I talk to everyone but it was hard to make a friend. I was there for about five months. Actually, I didn't make any new friends, but have some old friends there.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Under $1200, preferably under $1100 for 2 or 3 bedrooms. I am fine with a condo/townhome if it is kid friendly and pug friendly! I am not concerned about schools beyond elementary. I was contemplating an inexpensive mobile home in a nice community (buy not rent) because it seems to give us more options. I would appreciate any suggestion because internet shopping is great for books but not so great for real estate.
Check out the Welleby area in Sunrise, specifically check out Waters Edge apartment complex. In Plantation look at St. Tropez on University and Cleary a little pricey but VERY nice. Also Los Prados which is on Cleary and Pine Island and across from that which is The Waves. That is the Mid Town Planation area. Oh and across from Central Park in Jacaranda there is the laurels. If you are a cop or a teacher you get a discount at this place. Another good place on University just north of Cleary is Sunpoint and then I think Harbor town. All very nice, good location, close to everything. If I think of more I will post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
When I was in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago I noticed the people were not friendly. I talk to everyone but it was hard to make a friend. I was there for about five months. Actually, I didn't make any new friends, but have some old friends there.
This place is very transient so the sense of community isn't here.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM

55 posts, read 302,228 times
I rented at the Laurels before I moved here....such nice people in the rental office.....until you need to leave and break your lease! I was fine with paying all the penalties and extra months of rent. But what really irked me was how insistent they were that I find a way to leave the "second" key to the apartment inside the apartment when I moved out in the morning before the office opened. I couldn't leave it in the mail slot of the office, I couldn't mail it to them, I had to leave it inside the apartment.....which meant I had to go and make a copy so that I could leave the key and avoid an additional charge. It was so insane and purely vindictive that I was forever soured on the place.
Anyway, I'd like to avoid apartments if I could and find a townhouse or condo. I know there have to be plenty for rent. My only concern is someone getting foreclosed while I am renting there and I have to move with 3 days notice and lose my deposit because they skip town.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I rented at the Laurels before I moved here....such nice people in the rental office.....until you need to leave and break your lease! I was fine with paying all the penalties and extra months of rent. But what really irked me was how insistent they were that I find a way to leave the "second" key to the apartment inside the apartment when I moved out in the morning before the office opened. I couldn't leave it in the mail slot of the office, I couldn't mail it to them, I had to leave it inside the apartment.....which meant I had to go and make a copy so that I could leave the key and avoid an additional charge. It was so insane and purely vindictive that I was forever soured on the place.
Anyway, I'd like to avoid apartments if I could and find a townhouse or condo. I know there have to be plenty for rent. My only concern is someone getting foreclosed while I am renting there and I have to move with 3 days notice and lose my deposit because they skip town.
And there in lies the problem. We were thinking about renting from a owner but we decided against it because of the foreclosure factor. BUT if you are adventurous look at the town homes across from St. Tropez on University and Cleary. We just looked over there, so a 3 bedroom for 1600. There are ways to look up if the person has been paying their mortgage or not or if foreclosure is pending. I can find out the details on how to do that for you from a friend.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Check out the elementary schools in Plantation. They are very hit and miss, Central Park Elem. is one of the best in the county, Tropical is above average but the rest are below average. Sunrise should be consistently fine for elementary, as long as you are relatively far west (like west of University).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area