Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM

137 posts, read 425,471 times

Advertisements

I'm just so excited. My son started a job in Lauderdale on Monday, my daughter got notice that she's been picked up with another fed. agency upon a favorable background and I just received my transfer notice. We are all so excited. We love So. Fla. I play golf, my daughter scuba dives, we both love to cruise, my son loves to jet ski, so what the heck took us so long. All you neysayers I'll trade you DC for Fl anytime. We are looking at Cooper City, Weston, Davie, Miramar and pembroke pines to live. All those areas look lovely to me. I am not crazy about the hassle getting into those gated communities. While I'm sure they are safe, are they really all that necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoupe View Post
While I'm sure they are safe, are they really all that necessary?
No. There really aren't all that many of them except in Weston. Davie only has a handful of small ones where the gate is mainly for pseudo-exclusivity and Cooper City mainly has Embassy Lakes. I'm not sure about Pines/Miramar. IMO the boost in "safety" is only perceived and I would rather pay less in dues than to take the extra .05% risk of having my home burglarized and the .01% risk of being robbed in my driveway. While there are a lot of gated communities, the majority of them are ungated and the gates are mainly there for property values/ perceived exclusivity and often aren't even guarded. If we were talking about Palm Beach County area, it would be a different story where guarded, gated communities are truly dominant in "nice" areas, the crime rate is higher, and the few middle class non-gated neighborhoods tend to be (with exceptions) heavily frequented by burglars and other unwanted guests. I would want a "real" guarded gate if I lived up there too as opposed to the mechanical plastic sticks and toy guardhouses they usually have down here. Only the really ritzy areas seem to have "real" gates and for everyone million dollar house behind a gate, there is one without a gate in SW Ranches or Davie.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-24-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
There's not really a hassle getting into the gated communities - you put a sticker on the side of your car and one gate opens automatically. There's another gate for visitors which can be a hassle. I think I'd definitely go gated right now. It was a bit overkill when they put in all these communities 10 years ago, but now not so much.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM

137 posts, read 425,471 times
i'm thinking more about friends visiting and friends of my kids (early to mid 20s). when recently looking at a home with a realtor, we were in line for over 15 minutes and this was midday that would drive me nuts.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
Says something positive about the job market too.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Depends on whether you want a newer home or not too. I can't think of a new home subdivision in any of these neighborhoods that doesn't have a gate. We put a gate on our property (we don't have a million dollar house), and to tell you the truth, it's become one of my favorite things about the whole property. Just a matter of how much peace of mind it would give you - since our house is kind of isolated and yet only blocks from downtown Davie, it has provided me with huge peace of mind.

Separate subdivisions will have different gate hassles too - I know for instance that in Grand Palms in Pembroke Pines it can be a nightmare because there's only one gate for about 10 different subdivisions, yet other gated communities are much smaller, like the Tequestas in Weston, and it's no issue at all.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM

55 posts, read 302,211 times
I remember taking my little one to a pool party on a Saturday afternoon at a home in Pembroke Pines (when we lived down there several years ago) and there was a huge line at the guard house. They were recording each person's Driver's License and Tag numbers and where you were going. It took about 30 minutes to get in. It was crazy....I would not want to put friends through that. On the other hand, I lived in a gated apartment complex where the gate was just a major nuisance. It held you up going in/out and was no security at all because all you had to do was follow the car in front of you and the gate would stay open.

P.S. Edited to add....Congratulations on your move! I'm sure you will love in S. Fl.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,334 times
There is a great area in Davie called Forest Ridge. This is off of Pine Island Road between I-595 and Griffin Road.

It is a non-gated community and very family oriented.

I've seen homes going from the upper $200,000 and higher.

If I had just waited a year before buying my condo I would be living there.

Both my brothers lived there and loved it.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoupe View Post
I'm just so excited. My son started a job in Lauderdale on Monday, my daughter got notice that she's been picked up with another fed. agency upon a favorable background and I just received my transfer notice. We are all so excited. We love So. Fla. I play golf, my daughter scuba dives, we both love to cruise, my son loves to jet ski, so what the heck took us so long. All you neysayers I'll trade you DC for Fl anytime. We are looking at Cooper City, Weston, Davie, Miramar and pembroke pines to live. All those areas look lovely to me. I am not crazy about the hassle getting into those gated communities. While I'm sure they are safe, are they really all that necessary?

Avoid Miramar....kill, death, murder everywhere. Seriousely....I warn you..stay away from Miramar

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Avoid Miramar....kill, death, murder everywhere. Seriousely....I warn you..stay away from Miramar
How many murders have there been in "Murdamar" so far this year? Doesn't that mostly apply to the east side and the areas that are an inch close to Dade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area