U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 68,667 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a place in Artesia across from Sawgrass Mills by the Bank Atlantic Center. I am also considering the Canyon Communities in West Boynton Beach. Anyone have any comments about Artesia? Should I stick with Canyon in West Boynton? is it a better investment in the long run? Is living by Sawgrass Mills crazy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,349,252 times
I would vote Artesia....

If you were looking at downtown Delray rather than West Boynton, my vote woud be there, but West Boynton seems rather bland to me. Living near Sawgrass and the BankAtlantic Center is actually a comparatively central location down here, unless you're working in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM

55 posts, read 292,804 times
I remember looking at that place years ago when they were first breaking ground and as I recall, I thought their "fees" for monthly HOA/mandatory gym memberships, etc were ridiculously high. The designs were really nice and I would love to see how it turned out.
As far as living near the Sawgrass Mills Mall/Arena, I would expect traffic to be bad near Christmas or on the nights of events at the arena.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 68,667 times
I have heard from a number of realestate professionals that buying in Artisia is a huge mistake. They claim that Minto made a big mistake placing that communitly across from the Sawgrass Mall and next to the Bank Atlantic center. Maybe $430,000 for a townhouse in that location is not such a wise investment. Any comments?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,628,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansf View Post
I have heard from a number of realestate professionals that buying in Artisia is a huge mistake. They claim that Minto made a big mistake placing that communitly across from the Sawgrass Mall and next to the Bank Atlantic center. Maybe $430,000 for a townhouse in that location is not such a wise investment. Any comments?
The location isn't a mistake, the timing is. The location is great, it couldn't be more central or convenient as far as being out west. I don't know why people make out the traffic to be so horrible. 136th ave is usually DESERTED when there is nothing going on, all six lanes of it. Those roads can handle the traffic that is on them just fine. Sunrise PD usually sets up cones to separate the arena traffic from the through traffic. There is a huge, HUGE double RIGHT turning lane at Flamingo and 136th that can handle the arena traffic quite adequately, when there is nothing going on there usually isn't more than a car or two in it. Making a left turn at Sunrise and Flamingo is by and far the worst of the traffic in that area as you often have to wait two cycles to turn. Go there and drive it yourself during the worst possible time, it really isn't that bad and it's literally a breeze most of the time. No location is a wise investment for townhomes in 2007/2008 unless its in North Carolina.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,349,252 times
$430,000 is a huge amount to be paying for a townhouse there - you can get one for that price in Legends at Weston Hills Country Club directly on the golfcourse and it would be a much wiser investment, because people often relocate here only knowing of Weston. And again, if you're considering $430k in West Boynton, I'd steer you to Downtown Delray for a walking distance to Atlantic Ave (lots of shops, restaurants, live music, street festivals, an antique auction house, etc) and the beach for a townhouse in that range.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 56,141 times
Default West Boynton Real Estate

While I agree that living in Delray near Atlantic and the beach is a nice suggestion, I wouldn't do so if raisiing a family. West Boynton has lots to do in the way of activities for children and there's lots of commercial building going on. The Canyon Town Center should be complete in a few months and there are plans to build a new hospital shortly. Additionally, we're close enough to everything and far enough away from the riff-raff to worry about it. I'm a Broker in the area and I'm also seeing more than a few foreclosures and short sales in Canyon, Cobblestone, Equus and such. Now is a great time to buy.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 AM

2,517 posts, read 10,603,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taky123 View Post
While I agree that living in Delray near Atlantic and the beach is a nice suggestion, I wouldn't do so if raisiing a family. West Boynton has lots to do in the way of activities for children and there's lots of commercial building going on. The Canyon Town Center should be complete in a few months and there are plans to build a new hospital shortly. Additionally, we're close enough to everything and far enough away from the riff-raff to worry about it. I'm a Broker in the area and I'm also seeing more than a few foreclosures and short sales in Canyon, Cobblestone, Equus and such. Now is a great time to buy.

now is NOT a great time to buy. I am sick and tired of hearing Realtors feed people this excrement. 4 years ago it was ALSO a great time to buy according to many of you because you could easily refinance a couple of years later since the market was doing so well. Right ? We still have another year before we hit bottom according to many experts....experts that actually predicted this bubble.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM

46 posts, read 159,370 times
I would choose Canyon. I lived in Artesia for a year and it was very poorly built construction. The builder is Minto. I now live in the GreyStone community just east of Canyon - both communities built by GL Homes. What a difference in quality. I would be hard pressed to buy a home built by Minto, but I would definitely recommend GL Homes and will not hesitate to buy another home from them.

As far as the location at Artesia, it is very conveniently located; however, with only one entrance and exit, on 136th just east of the Office Depot Center, it can be very hard to get out of there sometimes with all the traffic. I do believe they will be opening another entrance/exit in the future though. Also, the common fees are very high there. You have to pay a HOA fee to the building (they call the buildings villas) in addition to paying a fee to the association for maintenence and use of the common areas, pool, clubhouse, etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,186,580 times
So Fast Forward a bunch of years

what does everyone think about Artesia today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area