Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM

346 posts, read 1,336,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
The originators of this post (from Sweden?) may want to read an article by Rick Steves, the travel writer. A few years ago he wrote about gated communities in America. He cited a statistic that gated communities and prisons would be the largest growth sectors in U.S. real estate. I agree social isolation is significant here - BUT, it's significant in our culture. The same problem exists in many regions of the country and is pervasive in our society. For example, as much as people complain about being isolated they seem to prefer communicating via e-mail and blogs. In the old days we would be having this "blog" in person over the white picket-fence.

Our gated community has many nice common areas. Usually, my boys are the only ones on the playground. There is a big community pool, but it's not used very often. The only time my kids see the neighbors is on Halloween -- and half of the houses are either empty or have the lights out (don't bother ringing the bell). Sorry, I got off point...

Sad but true, our society is moving towards contrived neighborhoods and communities. We live in a gated community. I think that in many areas of the country, this is becomming the norm for new housing. For our family, it gives us a sense (may not be true) of security and protects the common areas (pool, playground, tennis courts) which we pay for. As South Florida residents know, the gated communities vary by codes, security, intensity of rules, and population focus. For example, we visited friends at a gated community in Wellington where the gaurd made a copy of my drivers license. Some neighborhoods have gates, but they are only down at night. Some of the big condo buildings on Ocean Drive have a "gated" system - you can't even drive up the driveway.
Bring your kids to Lighthouse Point for Holloween and you'll see how a community celebrates together. There's a concert and childrens event at Dan Witt Park after trick or treating.

It does seem like the gated communities are only to give you a false sense of security. Everybody knows that neighbors are the people that keep each other more secure than any minimum wage guy taking down drivers license numbers and tag information. I think a neighborhood is worthless if you can't tell all your neighbors around you to lookout for your place while you're out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM

148 posts, read 680,172 times
Thanks, DK -- We are hoping to buy in LHP next year! Everyone says it's a great family community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area