Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times

Advertisements

Casualobeserver, did you really just move here? I couldn't have put it any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
It's a very informative read in terms of the broad reach of the history presented, but disappointing in its skinny research into paths to solution.

I agree up-educating the younger workforce is one way to a solution, but I handicap that at long, long odds......not unless Huizenga bequeaths his fortune to retool the University of Miami into someplace where one could get a bluechip MBA or a pedigree PhD in science. And all the premier middle school and high school systems around the country (New Trier in Chicago, Weston/Wayland in Boston and Montgomery County in Maryland) don't evolve until you have the bluechip parents hanging around town for their own careers putting the screws to the school boards. No, at best, the hope can only be for minting some higher education niche like UAB cultivated with medical technology. I think the green industry could be an developable pathway in that regard, just as soon as someone explains to 85% of the Floridians what environmentally-conscious actually means.

While that might be a plausible pathway, I will actually put my money on the tourism and retirement juggernaut continuing to hold its prominent footprint. However, there will be a large transition from the defined benefit union pensioners to those who had professionally managed 401k's augmented by the affluent South Americans, rap stars and golden-parachuted baby boomers.
This is like reading a well crafted thought. Very good insight.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
doggie

how long did it take them turn it around?
Not sure, the person that told me this story is traveling the next few months so I can't call him and ask.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
It's a very informative read in terms of the broad reach of the history presented, but disappointing in its skinny research into paths to solution.

I agree up-educating the younger workforce is one way to a solution, but I handicap that at long, long odds......not unless Huizenga bequeaths his fortune to retool the University of Miami into someplace where one could get a bluechip MBA or a pedigree PhD in science. And all the premier middle school and high school systems around the country (New Trier in Chicago, Weston/Wayland in Boston and Montgomery County in Maryland) don't evolve until you have the bluechip parents hanging around town for their own careers putting the screws to the school boards. No, at best, the hope can only be for minting some higher education niche like UAB cultivated with medical technology. I think the green industry could be an developable pathway in that regard, just as soon as someone explains to 85% of the Floridians what environmentally-conscious actually means.

While that might be a plausible pathway, I will actually put my money on the tourism and retirement juggernaut continuing to hold its prominent footprint. However, there will be a large transition from the defined benefit union pensioners to those who had professionally managed 401k's augmented by the affluent South Americans, rap stars and golden-parachuted baby boomers.
I agree that Tourism and Retirement will probably remain the primary economic driving force here, which isn't good. Those are so heavily dependent on the economy and this means we are overly exposed to economic downturns, more so than places with well diversified economies.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
One step (a small one admittedly, but a maybe a start on the grass-roots level) would be to attract and retain good teachers by paying them what they're worth. It's distressing to hear that South Florida is losing teachers to Georgia because the pay is better (along with a lower cost of living). It's one of about a thousand things that have to happen for Florida to succeed and again, it's a small piece in a big puzzle -- but you've got to start somewhere.

I do like the UAB example cited in a previous, excellent post. I lived in Birmingham from 1984-86 and the presence of the medical school provided the impetus for a lot of spin-off, start-up companies, allowing the city to reinvent itself after the steel industry died.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 07-31-2008 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:

I wanted to add to the kudos on this post. You are an eloquent writer. I just wanted to add that I believe wealthy retirees will continue to come to Florida to hide their money in real estate and not pay state income tax or be forced to invest what money they have in low yield municipal bonds. With property taxes coming down and housing prices dropping, Florida will again look very attractive, however I believe cities like Sarasota will be the ones to benefit, not Broward and Dade.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM

55 posts, read 302,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
One step (a small one admittedly, but a maybe a start on the grass-roots level) would be to attract and retain good teachers by paying them what they're worth. It's distressing to hear that South Florida is losing teachers to Georgia because the pay is better (along with a lower cost of living). It's one of about a thousand things that have to happen for Florida to succeed and again, it's a small piece in a big puzzle -- but you've got to start somewhere.
I was at the Broward Teachers Job Fair this week. It was an invitation only event because there were so many teachers interested in applying and so few positions available. Still, there were over 1,000 qualified teachers who attended and about 160 were hired. (I was one of the lucky ones! )
I think the reason teachers are leaving is because they aren't getting hired. I hope and pray that I am not out of a job in a year.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsmom View Post
I was at the Broward Teachers Job Fair this week. It was an invitation only event because there were so many teachers interested in applying and so few positions available. Still, there were over 1,000 qualified teachers who attended and about 160 were hired. (I was one of the lucky ones! )
I think the reason teachers are leaving is because they aren't getting hired. I hope and pray that I am not out of a job in a year.
congrats!

If you are in a critical shortage area you should be fine.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
The reason teachers are leaving is the pay and the bureaucracy of the public school system. My sister used to teach, when she got hired she was making more money than a woman that had been there for 10 years or something. Evidently pay raises are rare in the public school system, so you pretty much stay at your hiring salary for years. So many people leave the teaching field all together, in many cases to make more money. A few years later now out of the classroom and she is make almost three times what she was making teaching.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,090 times
Thanks for the above compliments, folks.

It will be interesting to see how things develop out the next couple of years (and they will), but I don't see the public sector leading the way in any event. The governor's cabinet meetings seem to focus largely on the weather catastrophe exposure and the legislature seems so far to be incapable of moving any ball in any significant manner.

I've always felt the private sector can locate and develop the possibilities more adroitly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area