U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM

9 posts, read 28,511 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to weston florida in a month to get away from trouble where I'm from.Our murder rate is insane and I was shot three times last month in a drive by shooting.I got tired of watching my back and all the constant shootings and crime. I'm a 22 year old colombian/cuban American from the south bronx new york area.My aunt lives in weston. will i fit in? I grew up in the big city urban area and I'm not sure how I will take the adjustment. PLEASE HELP! Is there a good bus system in weston? What is the culture like? Is it high crime? Do I have to carry a weapon like I'm used to ?! I'm clueless I just know I need to get out of here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 21,422,392 times
It's a good news/bad news situation for you. You most definitely will not have to carry a gun. You will find the population here very diverse and there are many people of Latin Armerican heritage in Weston. The area is suburban, but it is quite sophisticated. Not big city, but not cow country either. There really is not a usable bus system here. There are some buses but some of the stops are far from the residential neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,571,864 times
If you clean up your act little bit, you will not only like it, you will love it. There is a significant Cuban population and a massive Colombian population in the area, but the area is more like living in some far out upper middle class suburb, and the whole city talks about it for two weeks if there even is a murder in one year (which will usually be domestic related). It might seem snobby at first, but I think you will pick up better influences and eventually fit in.

Oh yeah, mass transit sucks here compared to where you are right now, including the bus system. There really aren't any stops out here. Aside from entering a low crime envrionment, the biggest shock is going to be how spread out everything is (the whole area, not just Weston) and the fact that you will be driving everywhere, as well as the comparatively low crime rate (not necessairly true for the whole area, but for many areas).

I'm just letting you know man, you can very easily pick up the wrong crowd here and end up back where you started. Probably not in Weston, but everyone has a car here and there are some bad places here too, especially down in Miami. Make the right choices, if you haven't gone to college, consider it when you get here (if you can), and then even if you don't like it, come back to NYC as a new man.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Thankyou so much I really appreciate the great advice, and you're right the entire reason for the move is so I can change myself for the better and find peace. I'm so happy that I won't be the only latin american person there not to say I'm not open to other cultures but it gives me a sense of home. I'm a little nervous about the suburb thing but I think I can manage the change in pace. I've never had to drive a car in my life but thank god I know how. Do they have bodega's there? Like neighborhood stores? or do I have to drive to go to the corner store too? I have wanted to go to college since I was 17 and I would like to look into some community colleges in the area (if they have any).

Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 21,422,392 times
There are not really "corner stores" here but there are Latin American markets here in town. You will have to drive to them. Universal Market is a small Latin American market with a butcher's counter and a cafe/bakery area where you can sit and have a pastry and coffee. There is also an Argentinian butcher shop that has a little sitting area where you can have coffee and a pastry. There is a Colombian bakery in town and the big supermarkets (Publx) carry many Latin American items.

I am not Latin American but I do enjoy the food and have learned to cook many different foods since I have been living in Weston. I understand why you would want a sense of some sort of comfort when you relocate. If you are looking for a clean, peaceful place to live where Latin Americans are not out of place you will love Weston.

If you are tired of having to look over your shoulder every time you go out of the house you will like it here. The Americans who were born here and the Latin Americans get along pretty well despite some of the sniping you will see on this board.

Broward Community College has campuses all over Broward County. The price is reasonable and there are many different programs that are offered. You can find them on the web by googling Broward Community College.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,571,864 times
To be honest about the bodega question, no. Your going to have to go to a massive Shop Rite-type grocery store. The local chain is called Publix. You will find Colombian (also other Latin) bakeries, coffee shops and restaurants though, but everything tends to have an upscale theme including the Latin businesses. Don't worry about feeling out of place despite that. I'm white, middle class, no Hispanic origin and even though this area is over 40% Hispanic I do not feel out of place at all, so you shouldn't either, the area is pretty well balanced and integrated, although you will find the occasional closet racist (usually spewing right on this forum) that's about to move out.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,097 times
Default Weston is safe

i've lived here five years but you could possibly die of boredom...

Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 AM

Wow I wasn't expecting that, I had no idea it was such a nice place from the sound of it. It's good to know all these things, it really cuts down my angst about such a drastic change. Thankyou soooooooo much everyone! I had no idea there would be any ethnic stores or bakeries. I had just pictured rows of houses and having to go to miami to buy groceries haha pardon my ignorance guys. Thanks Mommabear and Compelled you guys have been more than helpful.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM

2,952 posts, read 12,497,049 times
Luck - I see that you already live in Florida (from another post) so, where are you really moving from? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area