Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

About Movico on Sheridan, I'll just say, I prefer Regal on Pines. Smaller, less of the teenage, thug wannabe crowd. (I shouldn't be giving the goods about Regal, that's my little secret spot, not hearing people shout nonsense when I'm watching a movie).
I just hate the Pines Regal's uncomfortable seats - I always get antsy there. Sawgrass isn't too bad of a compromise - but I still like Muvico's seats more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I watched an economist type say 2.5 million homes were "overbuilt" in the past decade and not until they are sold will things stabilize with supply. And he said to expect at least a 50 percent drop in price. I forget how many years, maybe two but maybe more.

All the neighborhoods I've been watching have about 4 sales the past 2 months. And very few new listings. I am seeing listings advertised as "new this week" that I saw last WINTER. I know these darned houses by memory now even down to the bedding and the people who don't clean before taking the photos ha .... they've been on the market so long. People keep pulling the listings and then relisting.

This is another factor. CHURN.

The stats are all screwed up. Just like in the phone business you cant keep track because customers leave and come back, leave and come back then you keep reporting NEW CUSTOMERS when they are NOT in the least bit NEW.

That's mostly Broward. Now here in Vero there are very few new listings in the "bargain" "surplus supply" category and I think the people just cant bear to list a condo for 29,000 that they thought was worth 140,000 last year.

I bet thats the case with the foreclosure reports too. If a homeowner gets a foreclosure notice they are in the pot. But if they pay enough to get out, then get late again they get another "first notice" and go in the pot again. I'm assuming that's how it works...prolly nobody has a clue.
this pretty much nailed out. This one site I go to said a bunch of condos were sold in downtown miami a few months back. Made it look like inventory was moving. But then when he looked at who bought it, the story became clear. The company sold the condos to a subsidiary of the parent company. Did this to try and keep property value up and make it seem like units were actually moving. A lot of schemeing going on right now.

One of my close friends is a realtor and your right. he told me people pull their listings after so many months then put it back on market again a little while later to make it look like it hasnt been sitting forever. People and their silly games. They can not stop the invevitable.

Quote:
I'd say if you want to buy, lowball as much as you can. $225k for something like that, from what you describe is not unreasonable. Buy low, if you plan on staying for a while....LOW now, being, you will be in for the LONG TERM...(Key words)....(If you plan on leaving in less than 5 years, please reconsider). Buy low enough, so that if the value drops, you still would have space to either be flexible, or sell at future market price, if it continues to decline. Just being sensible.

About Movico on Sheridan, I'll just say, I prefer Regal on Pines. Smaller, less of the teenage, thug wannabe crowd. (I shouldn't be giving the goods about Regal, that's my little secret spot, not hearing people shout nonsense when I'm watching a movie). With the gas prices (and movie prices), I'm not about to drive almost 45 min to1 hr to go see the same movie that's 5 minutes from me...I just prefer to go on a day most teens dont go, like midweek...No crowds, no clowns.
Yeah, that Movico is horrible. Everytime i went out there I have seen a fight or people about to fight.

First time saw a older guy get out of his car and beat some guy up in another car that cut him off. The second guy tried to get out of the car but ended up getting his car door slammed on his legs, repeatedly.

Second time saw two guys get into a fight because one knocked the popcorn out of the other guys hand by accident.

After the second time I didn't go back there.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
(I shouldn't be giving the goods about Regal, that's my little secret spot, not hearing people shout nonsense when I'm watching a movie).
That's not your secret spot, thats where everyone around here goes, even though they think it's their secret spot. I thought it was mine too. That's why Muvico is such a mess now, because nobody around here goes there anymore. First a few of the people riding up 75 from Dade discovered it and thought it was nice (it is), and then the malcontents followed. The Boca Muvico is going to have an even worse fate with the I-95 access. All I know is all of the adults and less rowdy teenagers like that Regal.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's not your secret spot, thats where everyone around here goes, even though they think it's their secret spot. I thought it was mine too. That's why Muvico is such a mess now, because nobody around here goes there anymore. First a few of the people riding up 75 from Dade discovered it and thought it was nice (it is), and then the malcontents followed. The Boca Muvico is going to have an even worse fate with the I-95 access. All I know is all of the adults and less rowdy teenagers like that Regal.
My kids had an interesting observation. They said the kids at Muvico looked just like most of the kids at American Heritage (and I assume, just like the kids at all the local high schools). What's "cool" now in suburban South Florida high schools is ghetto. So, what happens is you have all of these middle and upper middle class kids trying to act and look as though their from the inner city (and succeeding, although unforms at schools like Heritage must be puttig quite a crimp in their style during the schoolday). So, it may be partly a cultural phenom thing, and not so much kids coming in from other areas.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM

It's been either that or the "emo" trend both here and around the country, but I am telling you that the adults and many of the kids are indeed coming from Hialeah. I mean, I'm sure some of them live locally and come to chill with their 305 posse.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Another great way to get a feel for a neighborhood you're wondering about living in is to visit the local movie theater on a Saturday night. Lately, Muvico in West Pines/Davie is killing me- as my daughter says, it's "ghettolicious". I can't believe that's the neighborhood - so different from all those tidy sub-divisions! We go to the Muvico in Boca sometimes (we live 20 minutes from each), and the difference is amazing - all families and retired folks. Anyhow, just a tip for picking a neighborhood.
I went to that Muvico (Pines/Davie/whatever they call it) a weekend or so ago and was surprised by the change. I remember when the place was being built! The term that I use is usually "ghettofabulous." I use that same term for the new Muvico in Boynton Beach.

I stick with the Boca one for the most part. Unfortunately, we get the preppy, really annoying, teeny boppers at the Boca one. Pick your poison I guess.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
I stick with the Boca one for the most part. Unfortunately, we get the preppy, really annoying, teeny boppers at the Boca one. Pick your poison I guess.
Haha that sounds like Weston 8 or AMC in Davie! There needs to be an 18+ movie theater. I think there is one somewhere...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah, actually the kids have lately been meeting each other at the AMC - as a Mom I'm a lot more comfortable with preppy than ghetto, but I do realize realistically it's all window dressing.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Haha that sounds like Weston 8 or AMC in Davie! There needs to be an 18+ movie theater. I think there is one somewhere...
There is one at the Dolphin Mall. Is it worth driving twenty minutes from Weston (or over two hours from West Palm Beach!) to catch a movie there though?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:

Rats.....And I thought I was one of the few that had the secret formula for a decent movie night with the misses...
I honestly think most of the Muvico crowd came from the one on Sterling. The same loud mouth types from Regal Oakwood seemed to have moved there. I went there a few times, then some loud mouth losers shouting nonsense trying to be funny on a few occassions. I experienced the same at Muvico, and said that was it. Too many young, clueless, thug wanna be, MTV/BET wanna-be kids acting their age, as expected. I devised a plan that works fine, so far. I know the seats are not top notch, but for 1-2 hours, I'll deal with it. It beats most cramped airplane seats anyday..

Actually guys and gals, try doing what I do. Even at Muvico, try going on a weeknight, like a Wednesday (dare I say late Sunday night too), when there is less of the teenage madness going on. It worked fine for me so far. It's not bad. Less crowded, less noise. An overall better experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area